Macau

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  “Oppa, buy me one.”

 

The words from earlier in the day still echoed in my head.

 

Running Man had gone to Macau for an overseas shoot. This was my first time joining the cast and crew on an overseas filming as my school schedule was relatively relaxed in my final year and had allowed for it. The day had been a long one, not only for me but for the cast and crew as well. I had been up since 4 am to catch the early morning flight into Macau. Physically, I was exhausted, but my mind refused to let me rest as it replayed the events of the day.

 

I was sharing the hotel room with an annoying makeup artist who was starting to get under my skin by continuing to insist that I was straight and that I just hadn’t met the right man yet. I had been trying my best to be civil and ignore her theories of how it was my parents divorce that made me gay, when she changed the subject. “Don’t you think that Song Ji Hyo is preposterous? I mean, asking Gary to buy her a ring when she is already attached?”

 

Didn't the git know that it was all done for the show? I merely grunted, unwilling to get into a heated discussion with her. But she went on. “I mean, she is in a relationship with her CEO. She must be in it for something. How cheap is she? Exchanging for career advancement.”

 

Irritated, I tuned her out. What makes Miss Genius over here, think that Ji Hyo and her CEO were having ? Maybe they're in a celibate relationship? Yeah, right. Even I had to scoff at that.

 

But my point is, why do so many of these people believe Ji Hyo was in a relationship with Chang Joo just to advance herself? Can't they see she really loved him? Well, I do. And the truth hurts. Grabbing a jumper, I left the room and went out for a jog. The music from my phone blasted into my ears, driving me as the sweat poured down my forehead. I knew I was using the exercise to numb myself, as a form of escapism. It wasn't really going to solve anything, but to be honest I didn't know what else to do.

 

 

Gary and Ji Hyo had been in the Enzo jewellery shop trying to find the key to open the suitcase for the mission. The rapper had casually and cheekily asked the actress to choose from one of the many pieces that were in the shop. Wide-eyed, Ji Hyo wandered about the store, like a kid in a candy shop. The Monday Couple were in the ring section when Ji Hyo let out a loud gasp. Mesmerised, she had approached a glass case containing a beautiful diamond ring, like a moth drawn to the lights. She stood transfixed and enchanted before it, her eyes wide open. I watched the lights from the diamond ring as they reflected in her brown eyes. An inkling of wistfulness coloured them, betraying the dreamer that hid within.

 

“Oppa, buy me one.”

 

She had uttered the words so softly, so delicately, that I wondered if she was even talking to Gary. Or if it was more likely that she was just thinking out loud. Gary had casually enquired about the price and they had gaped at the sheer exorbitance of it. Ji Hyo then jokingly asked the retail assistance to keep it for her under Gary's name. The rapper played along, telling the sales assistant that it was for Ji Hyo. Slowly enunciating her name for him, as though they were really keeping the ring.

 

Knowing the actress, I knew that diamond rings weren’t usually what she would go for, she preferred to sleep and eat. All I could think of, was that she must really be in love with Chang Joo and had thoughts of marrying him. Perhaps she felt ready to settle down and start a family with him. If she was interested in one, it must be an indication of her willingness to marry.

 

As much as it pained me to admit it, I knew she wasn't in a relationship with Chang Joo just to advance her career, she truly loved him. Even at the Macau Tower, where Ji Hyo had done her bungee jump, the CEO had been the first person she called after her jump, sharing in the excitement and joy of her success.

 

 

“Are you sure you want to do this?” I asked, concerned for the actress's well-being. Although I knew bungee jumping was relatively safe, I still couldn't help but worry about her, especially when there have been documented cases of injuries caused from bungee jumping.

 

“Why not? This is something I've always wanted to do.” Ji Hyo answered as the safety instructor, Christabel strapped her in.

 

I felt strangely protective of her and wanted to keep her from harm. “Yeah, I know. But there have been cases of injuries caused by bungee jumping. I just worry.” I replied, feeling the creases in my forehead as I frowned.

 

Christabel was an innate professional, keeping her comments to herself, she kept her attention focused solely on the actress. Continuing her work, the petite, tanned and athletic looking lady ignored the discussion I was having with Ji Hyo. Clipping the final pieces in place, Christabel brought the Korean over to the weighing station, taking her weight to ensure that she wasn't over the weight limit and to allocate the correct cord range to ensure a perfect smooth and safe jump. Ji Hyo smiled at the safety instructor as she gave her the all clear.

 

Turning around to look at me, Ji Hyo noted the concerned looks I was giving her as I sat on the bench watching her. Walking over, she reached over and ruffled my hair. “Don't worry, ok? It'll be fine. Dong Wookie has gone before me and he's ok.” She said as she took a seat next to me. “Besides, you'll be there. Keeping me from harm. My ever vigilant bodyguard.” She teased as she leaned her head against me companionably.

 

I snorted. “This is one danger I can't protect you from.” I muttered.

 

She smiled reassuringly before drawing me in for a quick one-handed hug. “You big lug. You're sweet. You know that, right?” She said. I continued staring at her mournfully. “Don't worry. Nothing is going to happen. Who else is going to slam your big to the ground otherwise?” She teased. At that, I looked over at her incredulously, searching for a smart assed come-back. But before I could come up with one, her next words silenced me. “Thank you for being concerned for me. You really are a great friend. One of the few who truly care and whom I can depend on.”

 

I finally smiled at her. It was strange how my concern for her safety overshadowed the pain I felt at the jewellery shop. When Ji Hyo showed that she might be thinking of marriage when she asked Gary to buy her the ring. In a small way, it frightened me. It scared me to think that I could love one so deeply, so selflessly. That it was enough for me, that somewhere in this world, as long as she was alive and well... I would be alright.

 

Finally, they called for her, and I followed her to the jump station as they made the final adjustments and preparations for her jump. Christabel accompanied the actress to the platform. She was about to start the countdown when Ji Hyo pointed out that the helicam was not in position. The shorter lady grinned at Ji Hyo's calm, matter-of-fact manner of speaking. It was obvious she was impressed with the Korean's guts while the rest of us looked on nervously. When the helicam was in place, the safety instructor began the countdown.

 

I watched as Ji Hyo fearlessly and without hesitation, threw herself off the tower. It was no exaggeration when I say that all who were present, were left standing in awe, our mouths agape at her brazen act. The fans cheered fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter