Making A Promise

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stirred as the sunlight hit me in the eyes, hissing at the pain that followed. My entire body felt sore as if it were on fire. Especially the area around my ribs. It hurt even to breathe.

 

Argh... Did someone get the number plate of the car that hit me?

 

My back and neck were stiff. Opening an eye, I saw that I had fallen asleep while sitting up. There was a slight weight on my lap, looking down I found Ji Hyo fast asleep on it. The events leading up to how I ended up sleeping in this position, came rushing back.

 

 

After I was sure that Ji Hyo had fallen asleep, I carefully removed her head from my shoulder and got out of bed. I was about to creep back downstairs to spend the night on the couch when I heard her mumbling in her sleep.

 

“Nooo. No.”

 

From the expression on her face; the furrowed brows, the way she tossed and turned, I was sure she was having a bad dream. My heart squeezed painfully at the sight of her calling out and in distress. Quietly, I moved back to the mattress on the floor. Taking a seat next to it, I took her hand in mine, hoping the human touch would comfort her. It did. She quietens down and stopped tossing around.

 

I smiled gently at her. Rolling over, she rested her face on my lap and proceeded to hug my thigh. Stricken, I was formulating ways to get her to release my leg when I heard her moan softly. “Mmm Reg...”

 

I froze, blinking dumbly at the woman hugging my feet. Did she just call out my name in her sleep? There was a small smile gracing her lips.

 

Oh, Song Ji Hyo-ah, Song Ji Hyo. You'll really be the death of me one day. You know that, right?

 

I watched her tenderly, aware that there was probably a goofy grin on my face right now. But under the cover of darkness and the safety of solitude, I allowed it. Her tiny smile, however, gradually turned into a sad, troubled frown again. Looking at the actress, so lost and vulnerable in my lap, I made a promise to myself, that I would keep her safe and put a smile on her face again.

 

Like a silent sentinel, I sat watching over her for most of the night. Until exhaustion finally took hold and sleep captured me.

 

 

Although my neck and back were stiff from falling asleep while sitting up, I continued watching Ji Hyo sleep, unwilling to wake her. Frowning, she mumbled something in her sleep. Pulling my leg closer to her, she hugged it tightly against her chest, before pressing her face against my thigh.

 

I smiled gently before reaching down and brushing back her hair. I couldn't help myself. She was just too adorable. She continued mumbling in her sleep, and I leaned down till I was levelled with her ear. “Shh... Don't worry Ji Hyo, I'm here to protect you.” I murmured softly against her ear. I was surprised to find that she smiled softly at that statement and ceased her sleep talking.

 

As I continued to watch over the sleeping woman, I felt a dull throbbing pain. Reaching up, I rubbed my aching jaw, suddenly remembering Chang Joo's elbow to my face. For a brief moment, I wondered if the man even made it into work this morning.

 

Guilt consumed me at the memory of what I'd done to him. How I had pinned him to the ground, kneeling on his sternum, knees crushing his ribs, letting my fists fly, one hard punch after another. The image of his purpled face, his eyes almost sealed shut by the swelling on his cheeks, flashed before my eyes. I realised I could've killed him. I hadn't intended to do that much damage to the man. But I had done it anyway, allowing my anger to carry me away. I felt sick but it was too late to do anything about it. A sliver of fear gnawed at me as I wondered if he would lodge a report against me. If he did, I would accept responsibility for it. I deserved it.

 

My thoughts were interrupted by Ji Hyo's sleepy voice. It seemed that my movement had awakened the actress. “Mmm. Reg? Are you awake?” She asked, opening her eyes and staring at me. I smiled down at her, nodding. “Were you? Were you watching me sleep?”

 

Uh-oh, busted.

 

“I was not!” I replied defensively. At the knowing look she gave, I caved. “Ok, fine maybe,” I growled disgruntledly. Ji Hyo appeared amused. Rolling my eyes, I went on to clarify myself. “Look, I was just leaving you last night after you fell asleep...”

 

Crud. I promised I would stay.

 

“As in, I wasn't really leaving you! I swear! I was just going to sleep on the couch because I wasn't so comfortable sharing a bed with you.” I quickly explained. “But that's when you started in your sleep. It looked like you were having a bad dream, so I came back to sit next to you. Next thing I knew, you had grabbed onto my leg and latched onto it. So I ended up sleeping while sitting here.”

 

I watched her eyes softened as she took in the information I had shared. She gazed tenderly at me, searching my face. “I mean who has a proper sleep sitting up?! So I woke up early and was just staring into space when you got up. I swear I'm not being a creepy, stalker, whatcha ma call them? Samsung?!” I snapped self consciously.

 

She smiled. The first genuine one I've seen for the past twelve hours. “Sasaeng. And, thank you.” She said.

 

I blushed and snorted, avoiding her gaze before trying to get to my feet. The movement jolted my bruised ribs and I winced at the sudden pain. Ji Hyo was up and next to me in an instant. “Are you okay? We really should take you to the doctor's.” She said concerned. “Yeah, okay.” I groaned, agreeing. At the sight of her bruised cheeks, “We should also get you checked out.” I added gently. 

 

The first thing on her agenda, after making sure I got checked out by the doctor, was to pay a visit to the C-JeS office. I offered to accompany her, worried for her safety and well-being. Concerned that if she ran into Chang Joo, the man might make things difficult for her.

 

Ji Hyo, however, declined my offer. “Reg, it's okay. I'll be alright on my own. The office will be filled with people working so he wouldn't dare try anything.” She said. “Besides, I'm there to meet with my manager and talk to the people handling my contract. You won't be allowed in and will probably have to sit outside the meeting room where you'll probably be bored to death.” She explained.

 

I glanced away, grudgingly accepting her explanation. I knew where she was coming from, but it didn't mean that I wasn't worried. I felt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter