Home Alone

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note: So I found time to write over the long weekend here. Well, more like edit and flesh out the chapter. Anyhoo, please enjoy and Happy belated Queen's Birthday for those in Australia!

 

 

I walked up to my bedroom having just arrived home after sending Ji Hyo to Baek Chang Joo's place. With steely determination, I grabbed a clean comfortable t-shirt and a pair of shorts before making my way down to the bathroom. Flatly, I took my towel, and entered the small bathroom for a quick shower. I had been operating on autopilot ever since dropping her off and bidding her goodnight.

 

After my shower, I sat in the darkened living room, lost in thought. Alone in my apartment, a sudden feeling of emptiness and hollowness engulfed me. It felt especially poignant knowing she was spending the night at Chang Joo's, while I had no one to come home to. Well, no one human that is. Smiling softly, I Troubles as she rubbed up against my leg, thankful for the distraction.

 

Following an hour's drive, I finally parked Ji Hyo's car into the allocated parking slot for my unit. Even though the drive back from Gangnam had been beautiful, I was unable to appreciate its beauty. The road meandered along the southern shores of the Han river, following the path of the river before finally crossing north and into Ilsan. The bright lights from the capital, Seoul reflected over the calm surface of the river, masking the currents that ran beneath, mirroring how I felt.

 

Although on the surface, I appeared fine, a torrent of emotions ran underneath. I cannot deny that jealousy was part of it, but thrown in with it, was first and foremost a real fear. The fear of that anger that resides inside me. The fear of turning into my father. The thought sent chills through me like a cold steel blade pushed down my spine. While I had always been a hot-head; it rarely took much to incite a heated response or argument from me. I had never felt that kind of rage. An anger so strong that it made my whole body shake from the force of it. An anger so heated that it seemed to make the cool air around me evaporate, and left my skin tingling, like thousands of pins pricking it.

 

Was it roused from a protective instinct? Or was this how my father felt? Was I becoming him? I had been so ashamed, so disappointed at what my father had done to us. That I refused to have anything to do with him. Other than his family name, I took nothing from him. I had even refused the money he offered me. Though it didn't stop him from depositing the money to me through my mother. Oh well, it'd be stupid not to take it.

 

My mood darkened at the thought of my father, so I tried to distract myself, allowing my mind to wander back to earlier events, to when I dropped Ji Hyo off. At the thought of the actress, I found myself smiling wryly, pulling me out of my morose mood.

 

 

“Ji Hyo, wake up. We are here.” I whispered as I gently shook her, smiling softly to myself as I noted how tightly she was clutching her newly acquired plush toy. Like it was something of great importance to her. It was endearing and I almost wished I didn't have to wake her.

 

The actress stirred, opening one eye and then the other. “Oh? Did I fall asleep? Why didn't you wake me?” She asked, her voice throaty with sleep as she placed Rex on her lap. It sounded unbelievably y to me and I cursed the higher beings.

 

Maybe because I was having too much of a good time watching you sleep while you hug Rex?

 

Shrugging, I threw a small smile over my shoulder as I exited the car. Hurrying over to the passenger side, I chivalrously opened the door for her. She blushed lightly as she placed the soft toy on the seat and got out. “Wow, so attentive and gallant tonight?” She teased.

 

“Well, I have my moments. Not often, but once in awhile I just might surprise you.” I drawled. “Besides, I did promise to be your faithful servant for the evening.” I added, grinning cheekily at her. She laughed and the bloody butterflies started flying around in my stomach again. “Thanks for driving me here.” She said, before leaning in and giving me a quick hug. Smiling, I handed the car keys over to her.

 

“What are you doing Reg? Take my car and drive home.” She said. “Then how are you going home without your car?” I asked, frowning in confusion. “Don't worry. Chang Joo oppa will drop me at your place and I can collect the keys from you tomorrow.” She assured.

 

Right, of course.

 

“How do I look?” She asked as she ran her hand through her hair, attempting to tame it. I wanted to tell her that she looked beautiful. Lovely. That she was the most exquisite creature I had ever laid eyes on. But all that came out from my mouth was a grunt and an exaggerated rolling of eyes. “For a woman who just drooled half the way here... Not bad.” I drawled, smirking at the actress.

 

“Omo! I drooled? That is so embarrassing!” She squealed, hiding her face in her hands and I couldn't help but let out a hearty chuckle.

 

“It's alright, Ji Hyo. It was kinda cute.” I admitted and watched as she slowly lowered her hands. “Oh, so you think I'm cute?” She teased softly, wriggling her eyebrows and smiling up at me. “Yeah. But don't push it, kid.” I growled and she giggled softly. The soft tinkling sound of her laughter set my heart aflutter.

 

“Well then, I'm flattered.” She stated simply, and I felt a blush making its way up from my neck to my ears. I scoffed and avoided meeting her gaze. But I could feel her eyes on me, quietly observing me. 

 

Self-conscious, I hid behind a scowl and inclined my head towards the house. “Now, go! Scram! I've got long ways yet.” I barked brusquely to mask my true feelings. Then softening, I added gently, “Go on. Get out of here before you catch a cold.”

 

Grabbing Rex, our little memento of the day from the seat, I handed the soft toy to her and our fingers brushed against each other. At the contact, it felt like an electric current coursed through us. Looking over at Ji Hyo, I saw that she felt it too. She stared up at me in surprise and slight confusion. There, hidden in the brown pools of her eyes, I detected something else. Affection. I had seen it before. Only this time, it was stronger, l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter