Name Tag

Red Bean Bread

Today was finally Wednesday; the sun's rays did not wake Chanyeol up today. He was not sleeping on his bed nor was he sitting at his desk. Chanyeol unexpectedly woke up early today to get ready for his new job. 

Chanyeol brushed his teeth at least twice and flossed it about four times, took an hour and a half in the shower, fixed his hair at least fifty times, and changed his outfit about another forty times (not that he had a lot of clothes). But the strange part was that he had never tried this hard to look good for anything; not even on his first date in high school.

"What made today especially different?" he wondered. 

After three hours hours of extreme preparation, Chanyeol ended up looking pretty decent. His hair was neatly combed on the side, his neat blue flannel went well with the white skinny jeans he had on, and his converse shoes looked brand new. However, it was not his princely style that made him look strikingly handsome; it was his warm smile. The smile that shined brightly in confidence and hope and possibly love? 

The answer was of course, Do Kyungsoo, his first love. 

He looked back at his flip phone and realized there was only fifteen minutes left. 

"Why does this happen every time?" he groaned. 

The new employee frantically ran out of the house and slammed the door behind him. 

As he was running down the street, he realized that he did not have to hurry because his new job was right across from his apartment. 

"I totally forgot; I was so used to running to work all the time. Now I don't have to anymore." Chanyeol said in relief. 

He straightened his clothes and walked to the windows peeking through to see if Kyungsoo was around. Surprisingly, Kyungsoo was not sleeping at the counter. "Where could he possibly be?" Chanyeol thought. 

He suddenly felt a violent tap on his shoulder. 

"What are you doing standing outside? Get in there, new employee! Do you want your first mark already?!" 

"Kyungsoo you scared the out of me!" Chanyeol screamed.

"And I was gonna go in, but you weren't there yet." Chanyeol awkwardly added. 

"You still could've gone in and waited for me though. I was just taking out the trash from yesterday." Kyungsoo said. 

"Why are you suddenly interrogating me now, geez Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol suddenly raised his voice. He was obviously trying to cover up the fact that he was waiting for Kyungsoo.

"Wow, Park Chanyeol you sure have the nerve to yell at your future coworker." Kyungsoo said and he opened the door into the convenience store. 

Chanyeol hesitantly followed after his friend. "What could he possibly be thinking?" he thought to himself. 

As Chanyeol was walking in, he noticed Kyungsoo holding his new uniform. It was the same orange vest and blue pants that Kyungsoo had on. 

"Here is your uniform. Remember to wear it everyday, because we don't have any spare ones." Kyungsoo told Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol held onto the bright outfit and examined it. 

"Even though the colors are pretty tacky, knowing that it is me, I'll probably work it." Chanyeol confidently said. 

Kyungsoo stuck out his tongue in disgust. "Chanyeol, stop joking around now and go change." Kyungsoo ordered. 

If it was not for his first day of work and a potential mark, he would have talked back, but instead Chanyeol obediently went to the restroom to change into his new clothes. 

After Chanyeol got into his new uniform, he looked at himself in front of the small mirror. He suddenly remembered Kyungsoo sticking out his tongue in disgust. "Did he really think that I was that ugly?" Chanyeol said to himself. He had to admit that he was slightly dissapointed that he tried so hard to look nice in front of Kyungsoo, but the boy did not even care to praise him once. 

Meanwhile, the small boy was standing at the counter, smiling and giggling to himself. The image of Chanyeol waiting for him outside like a lost puppy kept lingering in his mind. Honestly, Kyungsoo wanted to compliment Chanyeol on how handsome he looked today, but he thought that it would give Chanyeol the wrong idea, since they've only met for a couple of days. Kyungsoo did not want to make a poor impression either. If they were going to work together from now on, he wanted to avoid anything that will cause awkwardness for Chanyeol and him as much as possible, thus showing his unusual cautiousness and bossy attitude. 

He heard the door open and Chanyeol walked out looking brighter than usual. Kyungsoo felt his cheeks redden gradually. He quickly hid it by grabbing a tissue and pretending to blow his noise. "I've been having pretty bad allergies lately." he lied. 

"Yeah, spring gets people pretty badly." Chanyeol responded. "Anyways, isn't there supposed to be my name on the uniform or something? Like that!" he asked while pointing at Kyungsoo's name tag. 

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Don't worry, I had it all prepared in the morning; it is nice and clean with your name imprinted right on it. I was super careful with it so I put it right here in my vest pocket." Kyungsoo proudly exclaimed. 

"See its right here." he said as he pulled out...a button? "Wait, what? Where is it, I swear I just had it!" 

Kyungsoo frenziedly searched all his pockets, but the name tag was no where to be found. "Why did I have to mess up on the first day? I'm such a clumsy idiot!" Kyungsoo thought to himself. 

", it must've slipped out while I was taking out the trash or something because I can't find it anywhere!" Kyungsoo screamed. "Im gonna go check the trash bins!" 

Kyungsoo frantically headed towards the door, but he was held back by a sudden hand grasping his own. 

"Kyungsoo, don't worry about it. Its fine, just please don't leave me here alone again." Chanyeol whimpered. 

Kyungsoo was surprised to hear these words come from Chanyeol's mouth. He turned around and looked at his poor friend whom he seemed to ignore the whole morning. 

"I'm sorry, Chanyeol. This probably wasn't the first day of work that you had in mind." Kyungsoo apologized as he was looking down to the floor. 

"What are you saying sorry for? Never in my life have I seen a coworker go through so much trouble so early in the morning just to find a name tag for me." Chanyeol laughed. 

"And plus, I can make my own name tag for now." Chanyeol grabbed a notepad on the counter and ripped a piece from it, then quickly scribbled his name and taped it on his vest. 

"See, it almost looks new." Chanyeol smiled. 

Kyungsoo could not contain his mixed feelings at the moment. At first he felt so useless and stupid, but now by hearing these words, Kyungsoo could not help but feel touched. Without thinking, he hugged Chanyeol tightly, causing the latter to flinch in surprise. 

"Chanyeol, welcome to XOXO Mart. I'm glad you came to work today." Kyungsoo said with a warm smile.

"And I'm glad to be able to work here with you, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol replied while hugging the small boy tightly.