Bowl of Ramen

Red Bean Bread

"I'm sorry sir, but are you alright?" the cashier asked again.

Chanyeol did not realize that he had been standing there frozen like a rock and staring at him quite creepily. He finally snapped back to reality and squinted at the impossibly beautiful boy. 

"He's so adorable! How could he possibly steal my money?" Chanyeol thought to himself. 

Suddenly the image of the crook faded and the appearance of an innocent angel emerged. Never did Chanyeol expect to meet such a pure looking individual on such a horrible day. He was determined to not give a disgusting first impression.

"Uhh, where can I find the...uhh instant ramen?" Chanyeol improvised. He rubbed his neck awkwardly and his eyes wandered around. 

"You can find the instant ramen in Aisle Three, sir." the cashier gracefully repiled with a heart shaped smile. 

The smile was one of a kind; Chanyeol had never felt such a delightful presence in front of him. He on the other hand, looked like he just got run over by a truck. His shirt was sloppily untucked, his tie was half dangled from his shoulder, and his hair was a sweaty mess. 

"What am I doing? He probably thinks I'm a bum." Chanyeol sighed as he shamefully walked to Aisle 3. 

"How much?" Chanyeol tiredly asked. 

"That'll be one dollar, sir." the cashier brightly answered. 

Chanyeol remembered that he had no more money left. He did not feel like demanding his money back either; there was no point anyways. 

"I don't think I'll be buying it anymore, I didn't bring my wallet with me." he lied. 

Today was truly a miserable day for him. As Chanyeol was about to leave the convenience store in low spirits, he heard a voice call out to him:

"Sir, hold on a minute. If you don't mind, I would like to treat you for today. It would be rude of me to leave a friendly person hungry and tired. And plus, you seem to be having a bad day. Why don't you leave after you finished your breakfast?" 

Chanyeol could not believe his ears. The cashier warmly accepted him despite his filthy and haphazard state. Chanyeol returned to the counter and looked at the kind boy. 

"Thank you very much. Because of you, my day became much brighter. I'm Park Chanyeol, by the way." he said as he extended his hand out. 

"Do Kyungsoo. I'm happy to know that I made someone's day. Everyone has those days." he said as he accepted the customer's handshake. 

After Chanyeol went to heat his ramen up, he quickly returned to the counter. After all, he was eager to learn more about his new friend. As soon as he put the burning bowl down, he immediately placed his hot fingers on his earlobes to cool it down. 

"Ahh so that's how people cool their fingers so quickly; I never knew how. I always just shook my hands around, but it never worked." Kyungsoo laughed, "I guess you learn something new everyday. Oh and you have cute ears too." Kyungsoo added.

Chanyeol felt his cheeks burn slightly. He always thought his ears were abnormal, but for once someone complimented them. Kyungsoo must be very different then. 

"Yeah, I just learned it from my grandma. I used to help her bring out bowls of ramen at her old restaurant. Whenever my fingers burned, she would tell me to just place them on my earlobes. The pain went away instantly!" Chanyeol excitedly shared. 

"Wow, you're so lucky Chanyeol! I've always dreamed of having such a fun family like that." Kyungsoo said. 

"Not really, it's actually not that great. She would always scream at me when I dropped the bowls and spilled the soup, but in the end it was worth it I guess. She did give me money to buy candy. Did your grandma not make you do these kinds of things?" Chanyeol asked. 

"To tell you the truth, I am an orphan. When I was eleven, my dad went to do volunteer work in the poor villages in Africa. Things were going well, until we got a call from his friend saying that he had caught malaria and had no chance of living. As much as my mother and I wanted to go to Africa and see him one last time, we were unable to because we didn't have enough money to do so. A couple of months later, my mother started to develop depression and she became weaker each day. I was awfully worried about her. One day, when I returned from the pharmacy, I found her laying on the floor. Her body was cold." Kyungsoo told Chanyeol.

The atmosphere became solumn and the convenience store turned silent. 

"I'm sorry for reminding you." Chanyeol apologized.

"Its alright; because of my mom's death, I discovered my dream of becoming a psychologist. I want to help those who suffered like my mother did." Kyungsoo said. 

"Wow, I never would have expected that a boy this fragile could so courageous and determined." Chanyeol thought to himself. 

As much as he wanted to stay and continue to talk to Kyungsoo, Chanyeol suddenly remembered that he had forgotten his cardboard box at the park. 

"Well I should get going now, it was nice talking to you, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol said as he was heading out the door.

Kyungsoo stood from his chair. "Wait a minute!" he screamed, "Tomorrow you can buy ramen and get a bread for free, remember to come okay?" 

Chanyeol nodded and left. 

The eight dollars that Kyungsoo still owed Chanyeol did not seem important to him anymore. Chanyeol instead got to meet an interesting friend and enjoy a bowl of delicious ramen that technically costed him nine dollars. 

Today was not that bad after all.