Ten Dollars

Red Bean Bread

It was a typical morning; the sun’s rays shined brightly on the tall accountant’s pale face and woke him up. The desk was once again a disorganized mess with a heap of uncompleted balance sheets and coffee cups laying around on the floor. Chanyeol finally got up and checked the time on his flip phone, realizing that he only had 15 minutes left to get to work. Forgetting to brush his teeth, Chanyeol hastily grabbed his trench coat along with his briefcase and dashed out the door, slamming it behind him.

The frantic boy rushed to the newly opened convenience store down the street to grab something quick to eat. As expected, the place smelled heavily of new paint, thus giving Chanyeol a minor headache. Wanting to leave this unpleasant scent as soon as he can, Chanyeol took the nearest bread on the One Dollar shelf.   

“How much?” he asked.

“Ten dollars, sir.” the small cashier drowsily replied.

Chanyeol slapped the bill on the counter and sprinted out the convenience store with the wrapped bread in his mouth.

The remaining 5 minutes to Jeguk Corporation reminded him of the endless mile-run back in high school. His long legs ached with pain and the beads of sweat ran down his head. Nonetheless, Chanyeol managed to pick up the pace and endure it all.

The sight of the grand company brought a smile to his face as he thought he had made it in time. Chanyeol gently sneaked into his cubicle and felt proud that no one noticed his slight tardiness.

As Chanyeol unpacked his stuff and his monitor, he noticed a pair of glowing Prada dress shoes approaching his desk.

“Mr. Park Chanyeol, who exactly do you think you are? At first I was lenient on you because this was your first job and you seemed to know what you were doing. But after receiving two warnings, you still do not show any signs of improvement nor efficient working habits. Jeguk Corporation is one of the most well-known companies in Korea. We have no time for lazy, irresponsible children like you. Take your belongings and leave this instant. ” Executive Cho scolded. 

If it was not for his tired condition, Chanyeol would have defended himself and probably make a fuss out of the situation. But instead, the fired accountant quietly accepted the cardboard box and cleared up his items.

After exiting the building, Chanyeol kicked the nearby trashcan and watched the litter fall to the floor. It was not like Chanyeol liked his job anyways; he only applied for this position to pay for his apartment bills.

“Great, so now I’m jobless and homeless. What a wonderful way to start the morning.” Chanyeol sighed.

As expected, Chanyeol had nowhere else to go. Usually at this hour, he would have been sitting at his desk attempting to fill out some general ledgers for a couple of minutes, then end up doodling on the side since it was too much work anyways.

The box was too much weight for his twig arms to handle so he sat down on a nearby wooden bench. His stomach suddenly growled loudly.

“If it wasn’t for that stupid boss, I would’ve had a proper breakfast.” Chanyeol complained.

Chanyeol reached in his pocket and found the bread from the morning. The roll of bread looked like a gift from heaven…until he read the label.

“Dae’s Red Bean Bread. The best choice to start your day.” the wrapper read.

Of all the bread on earth, he had to take the flavor which he absolutely despised. The hatred began when he received red bean bread from his first grade teacher for breakfast one day. At first, the pastry looked delicious; it had a golden and smooth crust with a creamy and red filling. However, after tasting the sweet bean filling and swallowing it quickly, the small student started to feel those bits coming back up his throat. The day ended with a nauseous Chanyeol in the hospital and his poor teacher to clean up the remains from her classroom.

“This day could not get any worse.” he thought.

As frustrated as Chanyeol was, he could not deny that he was a starving mess. He finally decided to stop by his favorite cafe and buy a proper breakfast. He went to the counter and ordered French toast with a side of orange juice. 

"Five dollars please." the employee requested. 

When Chanyeol reached into his wallet, he realized that his ten dollar bill was gone. Then he remembered:

"Ten dollars, sir."

"That bastard stole my ten dollars!" he angrily screamed. 

He raced to the convenience store to demand his money back. 

When Chanyeol arrived, he saw the small cashier sleeping with his head down.

"Give me back my money", he said as he slammed his hand on the counter, thus startling the sleeping boy. 

The short boy raised his head up. He had a red imprint on his forehead from laying his head down for too long and a little drool on the corner of his mouth. He rubbed his big eyes and stretched his narrow shoulders, then stood up. 

"What would you like, sir?" the innocent cashier asked. 

Chanyeol suddenly felt his heart skip a beat.