The Offer

The Shadows

I was driving home. I just went to watch a movie with Luna and Victoria. I still can't get over my excitement on having a car, eventhough it's not brand new, I still adore it. I was tapping on the wheel when the car slowed, the engine faltering until it finally died down. I looked around and found myself in front of the cemetery. Oh crap! Great, just great car! I was just thinking how much I adore you and you decided to do this. I went off my car and went in front. Okay, I feel stupid. I don't really know anything about car engines. I bit my lower lip and looked around again. Of course I won't see anyone here. Creeps! The cemetery's giving me the creeps. I started dialing numbers but either they're not answering or the lines busy.

“Need help?”

I jumped and screamed. A hand suddenly covered my mouth and another grabbed my arm.

“Jesus!” the voice breathed. “You scream like a pig!”

A what?! When the person let me go, I turned around and faced the insulting person. “What did you say I-” I stopped short as I saw Kwon Jiyong – again, in his all black getup. He got his black hood up but I can tell he got his long hair in a ponytail.

Should I faint? Should I run? Should I scream some more?

I didn't do any of those.

“What did you say I sound like?” I snapped.

“I said you scream like a pig” he said.

I flushed. “Well, you can't really blame me, can you? You sneaked up on me! You almost scared me to death!”

He just smirked.

“Where did you come from, anyways? How come I didn't see you?”

He just raised his brows.

“Did you come out from the. . . from the cemetery? And what are you doing here alone?”

“You talk too much” he frowned. “Got a toolbox?”

“Huh?” I asked blankly.

“Are you retarded?”

“Wh-what? I . . how dare you!”

“Do you know anything about car engines?”

“No” I blurted out unknowingly.

“Open the compartment” he ordered. I just followed. I saw a red box on it. “This is a toolbox. You should thank your father for putting it here”

“Oh, I didn't I have one”

He didn't say anything. I silently watched him work.

“Staring is rude” he snapped. “Didn't anyone tell you that?”

“Your attitude is an ” I snapped back. “No wonder you don't have any friends”

He stopped and looked at me. I tensed at once. Ugh, stupid mouth! But then, he laughed. I relaxed a little but the tension didn't totally go away.

Dara, what the hell are you doing? This is a criminal you're talking to! You should be careful on what you say!”

“Owning a car requires the owner to learn a few things about engines”

“I can always call for help”

“But then, you don't know if someone will come to your rescue, do you?”

I didn't say anything.

“I'm done. Start your car and get out of here” he ordered. Fuming for his bossy attitude, I went in and started the engine. To my surprise, it worked. “Here” he said, passing the toolbox to me. He started walking away, his hands on his jacket pockets, head bowed. I hesitated but decided to be generous.

“Hey!” I called. “Need a ride?”

“No, I prefer to walk” he called back, without stopping nor looking back. My phone suddenly beeped. I looked down and saw a message from Dad. I was about to read it when I remembered I haven't thank him yet.

“Hey, thanks by the. . .” I trailed as I found out he's nowhere in sight already, “way. Where'd he go?” I finished.

As I continued driving home, I then realized it was the longest conversation I had with him. I kept my eyes on the road, looking for him but I arrived home without seeing any person walking down the road.

And then, sophomore year past by just like a blur. I never talked to him again.

Junior high eventually came.

Me and Jae are hitching it up. It's not yet official but we're mutual about our “relationship”.

He sighed as he walked me to my car. “What's wrong?” I asked.

“I wish I could still drive you home” he pouted.

“You didn't just pout” I laughed lightly and faced him as we reached my car.

“I'm leaving by the way” he started. I instantly paled.

“Where are you going?” I whispered.

He lifted one hand to lock a strand of hair behind my ear. “I need to attend to this gala. My parents want me to come. It'll be in London”

“Oh” I breathed. “How long will you be gone?”

“About a week”

My face fell. That's too long. “Have a great time” I cheered him on.

“That's pretty hard to do, seeing you won't be with me. But I'll call you as much as I can, okay?”

I nodded. “When are you leaving?”

“Tonight”” he answered.

What? It's too soon!

“I'm sorry if I didn't tell you earlier”

“It's okay” I lied.

“You look upset”

I tried to fix my face but the corner of my lips fell in disappointment. He pulled me in a tight hug and my back.

“I'll be back” he whispered.

“I know” I whispered back. He pulled away and cupped my face.

“You'll wait for me, right” he smiled.

I shrugged. “Who knows? I might stumble in another person's arms”

“Dara”

“I'm just joking!”

“Can I have a favor then?” he asked.

“What is it?” I eagerly asked.

“Can. . .” he hesitated. “Can I have a goodbye kiss?”

“Do you really have to ask?”

He chuckled lightly before angling his head to the side. Slowly, his head descended on mine. The first brush of his lips against mine sent another icy shivers all over my body. Also, he seemed hesitant, it's as if he was testing my reaction. When I took in an unsteady breath, he brushed his lips against mine again, this time with more confidence.

I don't know how it happened but I suddenly found myself desperately clinging to him for support.

“Okay, lovebirds, that's enough”

we broke up. I tried wiping my mouth with the back of my hand as quickly as I can.

“Hi girls” Jae greeted. I looked up and saw the girls looking at us with amusement.

“I'm going to the salon. Wanna come?” Victoria asked.

“Can't” Jae chuckled. “Off somewhere”

“Where are you going?” Sulli asked.

“Family matters” he shrugged.

“Okay, then. 'Bout you, Krystal?”

“I'm coming”

They turned to me. “Can't come, too. And besides, I have to drive Sulli home”

After driving Sulli home, I started heading towards home. I saw Kwon Jiyong walking. Eventhough I can't see his face, because of the black hoodie, I know it's him. I don't know what made me do it but I slowed the car and pressed the horn. But he just continued walking. I think he got his headphones on again. But I kept up to his speed. Eventually, he noticed me because he glanced sideways. The look on his face felt like a slap to me. It's like seeing me is a nuisance to him. He looked so. . . dismayed. But I saw him pulled his headphones down, still walking.

“What do you want?”

“Need a lift?”

He snorted. “I prefer to walk. Stop bothering me”

“I'm just trying to be- never mind!” I growled. “And oh, thanks for helping the last time!” I snapped and sped off. Jeez, I was just trying to return the favor. He helped me with my cat, so I just thought of thanking him by offering him a ride. But he obviously doesn't like it.

 

----------

banner by yelleunnie