The Warning

The Shadows

o=o=o

I heard a knock. I looked at the time in my phone and found out it’s already quarter past eleven. Who could be calling in this late? With a frown, I climbed out of bed and walked to the door.

“Hey”

Jae! What are you doing here?”

One corner of his lips lifted as he stepped inside and closed the door behind him. He leaned against it, wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me to his body.

“You made fun of me a while ago”

I chuckled. “Are you going to punish me?”

“No. I’m happy to see you laugh, even if it’s in my expense” he chuckled. “Why, do you want to e punished?”

“Hmm” I mumbled as I lift my arms and wrapped them around his neck. “That depends on what kind of punishment you have in mind”

“You don’t really find me boring, do you?”

I chuckled lightly again. “What if I do?”

“Tease” he chuckled before reaching for my lips. As expected, a shiver ran down my spine as if an invisible cold hand touched me.

“Mmm”

I don’t know how it happened but I just found myself lying on the bed with him half-covering my body. I took in a quick gasp as he momentarily left my lips to move his head to the right. His hand slipped under me to pull me up against him. We both stopped as we heard an achoing sound from somewhere.

“It’s twelve midnight” he chuckled.

“Oh yeah” I mumbled. “I forgot you got a grandfather clock here”

“I should leave” he said.

“No” I protested. “Can’t you stay for a little longer?”

“I can’t” he chuckled. “If I stay, something might happen. I don’t want to break the promise I gave to your parents AND I don’t want to lose their trust”

“What they don’t know won’t hurt them”

He gave me a peck on the lips. “Will you behave? I’m trying to be the good guy here. and besides, I came here to say goodnight”

“Spoilsport” I pouted.

“Maybe next time” he chuckled against and stood up. “Go to sleep”

“Have a sweetdream”

“Sweetdreams, too” he smiled; driving away all the negativity I’m thinking and feeling.

I watched him slowly walked to the door. I pulled the blankets up as soon as the door closed. I heard a tapping noise. I frowned and went to the window. I looked outside but saw nothing. I shook my head and was about to go to bed when I saw something at the corner of my eyes. I stopped and looked out again. I gasped as I saw more or less a hundred crows outside. I moved closer to the window and blinked. Suddenly, they were gone.

o=o=o

~JAEJOONG’S POV~

“We’re here” I gently shook her. She gave a start. She blinked her eyes open, frowning. And then, she yawned and stretched out.

“Sorry I slept on you” she said. “I had a weird dream last night”

“Really?” what did you dream about?”

“Crows” she croaked. “They were flying around me in circles. Before that, I even thought I saw crows outside the window. Weird”

“You’re reading too much novels” I quietly said, trying to keep my voice steady.

“Yeah, I guess so” she chuckled. “I had fun by the way. Your parents were great”

“I’m happy to hear that”

“Thanks for bringing and for introducing me to them”

“I’d be proud to introduce you as my girlfriend to anyone” I smiled.

“Thanks” she smiled back.

“Come, I’ll walk you to your door”

We both got off the car and joined our hands as we made our way through the lawn when I heard voices. We both stopped and looked to the sources.

I saw two girls and two boys coming out from Kwon Jiyong’s house. One of the boys looked up and saw me. He pulled the other guy and whispered something in his ear. The latter looked up, too. I saw hi took a step forward but one of the girls grabbed his arm and shook her head. The guy shrugged in response.

Kwon Jiyong came out then, shooing them away. The other girl – the taller one, pulled him by his front shirt and kissed him in the lips. I glanced at Dara and saw dropped open while wearing a look of surprise and disbelief. I glanced back up ahead.

“What fcuk?!” Jiyong cursed. The girl glanced at our direction, smirking at Dara. Then, she faced Jiyong again.

“Happy birthday, pretty boy” she smiled, tapping his cheek.

“Get the hell out of mysight, all of you”

“It’s the birthday boy’s wish, guys. Let’s scoot off before he breaks our bones” the taller girl said in a mocking tone.

“Bye Jiyong! Happy birthday again” the other girl said.

“See you later” one of the guys said then glanced back at our direction and gave Dara a salute. I frowned and glanced sideways at her again. She was waving her hand.

“Do you know him?” I asked.

“Err, no. not really”

“Then why are you waving?”

“He was waving, too so I waved back”

I rolled my eyes. “Let’s get you inside”

I walked Dara to her door then kissed her goodbye. I went back to the car and started heading home. I was driving in the empty road when a person suddenly appeared in the middle of nowhere. I stepped on the break at once. I recognized the boy as one of Kwon Jiyong’s friends from a while ago. He glanced sideways and nodded. The next thing that happened, two people were now occupying my backseat.

“Your girlfriend’s stepping on forbidden grounds” the chinky-eyed guy started. I sighed. Why am I not surprised?

“She’s curious about Kwon Jiyong” I reasoned out. “She thinks he’s not the person the rumors are saying”

“You should caution her then” the other one said. “She’s already in a compromising situation and following Jiyong around will only make it worst”

“Well, maybe you should caution Jiyong to be careful, too” I gritted. “He should make sure no one’s following him”

“The girl is not Jiyong’s responsibility”

I turned silent.

“She doesn’t know anything” I broke the silence.

o=o=o

~DARA’S POV~

I rang the doorbell thrice. I already expected a grumpy Kwon Jiyong to greet me. And I wasn’t mistaken.

“Happy birthday!”

“You’ve got to be ing kidding me!” he exclaimed as I showed him a box of cake and a neatly wrapped gift.

My smile vanished. “Can you not curse in front of me?”

“Get lost” he snapped and closed the door.

“I broke my piggyback just to buy you a cake and this gift”

I heard a string of curses from inside. I grinned as the door opened again. I bounced inside and went to his kitchen.

“I didn’t give you permission to come in” he said, following me.

“But you didn’t stop me from entering, either” I retorted. I put the box on the counter and took the cake out. I took two saucers, two forks and a slicing knife. I find it weird how equipped his kitchen is. I then made two slices and put them separately on the saucer.

“Make yourself at home” he growled.

“Thanks!” I grinned. “I’ll try to make myself at home. Come, let’s eat”

“Does your boyfriend know what you’re doing?”

“Err, no”

He was silent as he leaned against the wall with his arms crossed against his chest. “Let me guess” he smirked. “Your friends don’t know anything about this, too”

“They’ll freak out if I tell them” I shrugged. “And besides, you don’t really want me to tell them that you’re not that heartless, do you?”

“No one will believe you and if I may add, who gave you the idea that I’m not heartless?” he asked in a low voice, leaning away from the wall. He grabbed one knife from the rack without breaking eye contact with me. He slowly walked towards me and stooped at my side.

I straightened up and froze as I felt the knife gently pressing on my chin and then, it slowly glided through my jaw. The tip went to my cheek. A sting in my cheek followed by something warm rolling down my cheek made me gasp.

“Tell me” he whispered dangerously. “Am I still not that heartless to you?”

 

----

banner by sweetgirl