Until Death Shall Part Us

30 Days Marrying You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In the days that followed, Hyoyeon sometimes felt like she was dreaming.

All her life, she had known love was impossible to come to her, and all her life, she hated Kris as long as she remembered. She had never thought that she would know love at all, much less in his arms. Now that every hour was a delight, she couldn’t quite believe it was real.

Kris still have to bear the burden of being the heir. He still had to go to the company to settle a lot of things. But, when he came home, she would be there to welcome him. She cooked for him and they had dinner together. Every chance he got, he would slip out of the office and came home for lunch. At night, they talked to each other about their fears and worries. Then, they consoled each other from all the pain from the past.

From time to time, Kris would return with tired face and exhausted body. So, she took him in her arms and kissed him without asking, holding back her fears as well as hopes.

From time to time, they visited the grandma at the hospital. From the look in her eyes, she knew they had the grandma’s blessing. Hyoyeon also had forgotten the fact that the grandma tricked them into the marriage. Instead, she felt grateful that the marriage made her realize her feeling this time.

And sometimes, she had this nagging feeling that she had to settle something. She knew what it was but she didn’t know how to deal with it. It wasn’t until she went to the hospital while Kris was at work and met the cause of her uneasiness that she knew there was no avoiding it.

She’d came to meet the grandma and there he was, leaning against the wall outside of the room with his hands in the pockets of his jean.

Luhan. The last time they met, he had agreed to remain as friend.

Now that her heart had decided on Kris, Luhan will always remain as friend to her. But, what about him? Would he still see her as friend?

She knew she had to be fair to Luhan by telling him that she already made her choice but she didn’t know how to break the news. She tried to figure out how to start the conversation. She considered a casual “Hey…” or maybe just forgetting the salutation and getting right to the message “I am happy with Kris now so may you be happy without me as well…”

It turned out she didn’t have to do anything.

“I saw you with Kris few days ago,” Luhan was the first to start the conversation. “You looked happy.”

Hyoyeon didn’t realize she was smiling. “I’m happy.” Kris made her the happiest woman alive. Then, she realize she might be hurting Luhan.

“You do realize that I still have some feeling for you, right?” Luhan said.

“I guess,” Hyoyeon replied. She shifted uncomfortably then, and stepped a few steps away from him. “Well, I should… I mean, I know you don’t really want me around here, so…”

“It’s not that, I just –”

“No, I get it, but –”

“I’m sorry –”

“I’m sorry –”

They both laughed, and Hyoyeon felt something loosening in her chest, a muscle she hadn’t even known was clenched.

“Ah, I remember the fun we had in Lotte World. It didn’t used to be like this, huh?” Luhan asked. “Awkward?”

“No.” she gave him a sad smile. “It was a lot of things, but it was never awkward.”

She remembered the thrilling rides they had at Lotte World. It wasn’t awkward back then. Luhan made her feel comfortable. Of course, it was before Luhan confessed to her.

“You should stop feeling sorry to me, Hyo,” Luhan said after a moment of silent.
“And stop avoiding me too.”

“I’m not avoiding you,” Hyoyeon replied defensively. Sure, she wasn’t avoiding him. She was just feeling guilty.

Luhan shrugged. “Well, it’s not like it’s your fault. You never intend to give me this pain or cut out my heart and walk all over it in high-heeled boots.”

“I don’t wear high-heeled boots.”

“It’s a figurative speech,” Luhan said. “And could you please stop contradicting me? I’m trying to be serious here while looking so cool.”

Hyoyeon looked at him quickly, to see if he was joking, but he looked serious.

“I’m so sorry, Luhan.” She had her head hung low.

“You shouldn’t apologize for things that aren’t your fault.”

“Still, I’m part of responsible for it. For making you unhappy.”

“I’m not unhappy,” Luhan shook his head. “Only people with no sweet memory are unhappy. You gave me sweet memories that I will treasure forever.”

She felt touched. She was touched by his kind words, his sweet gesture. She started to believe they could start all over again. She started to think that she didn’t lose a friend. Instead, she just gained a truly great friend.

“Thank you. You don’t know how much it means to mean.” curled into a smile.

Luhan smiled too. “Now, I feel like hugging you. But, I’m afraid Kris would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter