Bitter Confession

30 Days Marrying You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There was a long rectangular table surrounded by about eight high-backed wooden chairs. Before Hyoyeon entered the room, she could see the tag plate on the room read ‘Discussion Room’. Kris had chosen this room which was totally soundproof and far from where the party was going on. In a normal circumstance, Hyoyeon would say Kris was mocking her with the choice of room, but there was no time for that. It was totally her own careless for not being alert and made Luhan overheard her conversation with Jessica. Apparently, they would be in a round table meeting, discussing – more like explaining – the situation.

“So,” Hyoyeon started once they’d taken their seats. Only Kris was standing, leaning against the wall near the window. “What I’m saying is, everything happened for a reason, right? So, this marriage happened for a good reason too. But, the difference is, it doesn’t happen without our consent. I mean, we are not willingly get married to each other.” Hyoyeon knew she was making less and less sense. She was always bad at explaining things and her tongue-tied wasn’t helping either. Her eyes went to Kris. His face was stiff and he was clearly not looking at her. “What I mean is, I, we –”

“I can translate.” Kris interrupted. Hyoyeon realized she was letting out a sigh of relief. And he started telling Luhan and Jessica everything that happened, starting from his plea for Hyoyeon to pretend to be his girlfriend to how the grandma fall sick and asked them to get married.

“This whole pretence, as you heard, would only last for thirty days. So, it would be nice if we can keep this a secret among us only.” Kris finished explaining, adding in the request.

No one spoke after Kris finished explaining. Even Hyoyeon felt like she forgot how to speak. She was looking at Kris the whole time, who didn’t glance even once towards her direction as he was explaining. His voice was as cold as ice that sent shivers down her bones.

Jessica crossed her arms over her chest. She was the first to comment after the long silence. Hyoyeon tore her gaze from Kris. “Keeping it a secret is not a problem. The problem is, what are you going to do after thirty days? Are you going to announce you’re getting a divorce after that? What are you going to tell everyone? That, ‘oh, sorry we are not compatible to each other after all.’ Or ‘I thought she is my soul mate but it turns out she’s not.’ If not, are you going to tell the truth? That you are forced to get married? Do you have any idea on how to explain everything later?”

The question startled Hyoyeon. In truth, she hadn’t thought that far. Hyoyeon glanced at Kris, waiting for him to say something, anything, in return. But, this time he gave no sign to answer. He had his arms crossed over his chest and was staring out the window, his jaw pulled tight. She wasn’t sure whether he was the same as her, didn’t know what to say, or he was not interested in explaining. He seemed more interested in gazing outside the window, counting the number of the stars, perhaps.

“Well, I don’t know yet,” Hyoyeon said after a while.

“You’ve got to be kidding me! Are you telling me you have no plan at all?” Jessica sounded incredulous.

Hyoyeon lowered her head, avoiding meeting anyone’s eyes. Then, she heard Luhan spoke for the first time since they entered the room.

“Wait a minute, Heesica –,”

“It’s Jessica!” Jessica snapped, turning her head to Luhan. Hyoyeon bit her lips to prevent herself from laughing.

“Oh, sorry, Jessica.” Luhan sounded as if he’d been slapped across the face. He continued talking. “I think we shouldn’t give them much pressure. The point is, we should keep this as a secret. The rest, we could think about it together.”

Jessica leaned back in the chair. “What’s your name again? And who are you?”

“I’m Luhan. I’m Kris’ cousin.” High colour flooded his cheeks. “So, what I’m saying is, we should help them and maybe think of the solution together.”

“You look like you can’t wait to see them separated,” Jessica muttered out loud.

Luhan’s face changed. He’d gone paler at that comment. Jessica’s eyes widened. She just said those words with no real meaning but she didn’t expect that reaction. Hyoyeon’s head was still hung low and she was not looking at Luhan. So, she didn’t see his reaction. Somehow, Jessica could understand the situation now. Her gaze swept over Luhan and Hyoyeon and her eyes locked with Kris’. He remained unfazed though she could see his fists tightening at his sides.

“Is he really your cousin?” She directed the question at Kris, referring to Luhan.

“It’s a bit of a mystery to me too.” Was all Kris answered.

Jessica shook her head. ‘Okay, this will be complicated.’ She thought.

Hyoyeon raised her head when she felt the conversation sounded alien to her. “What are you talking about?” She looked from Luhan’s nervous face to Jessica’s cool one. Kris was still not looking at her but she could see his expressionless face.

“Long story. With no subtitle. You wouldn’t understand,” Jessica answered with amusement. Hyoyeon raised her eyebrows.

“S… So,” Luhan stuttered, still very pale. “We should keep it a secret.” He stressed the word secret as he looked at Jessica.

“Agreed. I will keep it a secret.” Jessica gave a sly smile. Her eyes glittered.

Hyoyeon, who was oblivious to the tension between Jessica and Luhan, smiled, relieved.

Just then, Kris cleared his throat. “Okay. So, the discussion is over. But the party is not over. It might have slipped your minds but, Hyoyeon and I are the main characters of the party.”

Hyoyeon startled a bit when she felt a hand was on her shoulder. She didn’t realize Kris was already standing behind her. She looked down at his hand on her shoulder. And for the first time, she thought his hand was big, the hand of a man. A flash of images came flooding. The image in her dream where she hold his hand, with her mother smiling beside them. And there was that time when their hands were clasped together during the wedding ceremony.

“Okay.” Hyoyeon roused out of her reverie with Jessica’s voice. “Both of you can go. I want to have a little chat with Mr Cute Little Prince here.”

Luhan realized Jessica was looking at him. “Me?” He pointed towards himself.

“Yes, you.” Jessica squinted at him.

Three pairs of eyes were on Luhan. He squared his shoulder.

 

 

“So, what’s up with you and Hyoyeon?” Jessica asked as soon as Hyoyeon and Kris left the room.

Luhan casted his eyes skyward. “Okay, I like her. Not as a friend. But more than a friend. Go ahead. Yell at me,” he said.

Jessica gave him a long and measured look. “Good luck in making her to realize your feeling.”

“I’ll remember that. Wait, that’s it? You’re not gonna get mad at me?” Luhan looked surprised.

“Why should I be angry?” Jessica blinked.

“Because she is my cousin’s wife?” The moment he said those words, Luhan realized how absurd he was. He never thought he could fall in love with Hyoyeon, but he did. Was it the way she managed to make the world seemed like a beautiful place whenever she smiled? Was it the way she made every problem seemed trivial every time she laughed? But, the moment he heard their marriage was just a fake one, he realized, he already let his feeling grow.

“In a fake marriage, as we recall.” Jessica stood up. She walked towards the window where Kris was standing earlier.

Luhan followed her movement. “So, are you on my side?” His eyes were gleaming with hope. The anxiety of being in forbidden love vanished.

Jessica leaned against the wall, her arms crossed. “Nope. I’m not on anyone side. If I have to choose, I’ll be on Hyoyeon’s side. She is my best friend. I want her to be happy. With someone she loves and truly loves her back. Be it you or Kris.” She stared into distance.

“Then, you won’t mind if I go after her?” He narrowed his eyes at her.

“Go on.” Jessica glanced over at him, a slow, sweetly poisonous glance. “But, promise me something. Don’t force her to do something she doesn’t want to do. Don’t make her cry. And if you are not the one chosen, let her go and just pray for her happiness.”

“But, she is not in love with Kris, right? And it’s not like he is in love with her either,” Luhan said suddenly.

“Kris, huh?” Jessica smiled faintly. “I don’t know what he is really feeling. In fact, it is almost scary how he doesn’t show his emotions clearly. With you, I could almost read you like an open book. But Kris, he is almost like a book in a foreign language that I don’t even know existed.” She shook her head slightly. “What do you think? Do you think he love her too?”

Luhan startled a bit with that sudden question. After knowing both of them were forced into the marriage, he was convinced that Kris didn’t love Hyoyeon. When he thought back, Kris always acted calmly. With his cool expression and the proud smile, he seemed like a strong person. But, it was different at the balcony just now where Kris showed his fragile face in front of him. Was it because their fake marriage that he wanted to hide was known now? Or because he said he loved Hyoyeon? Luhan wondere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter