Culture Sh -- err Love Shock

Black Out: It's My Clean Slate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Culture Sh -- err Love Shock

 


I look out the window as I finish the last of my dinner.  It's bright as day, yet my clock strikes close to 6:00 PM.  I turn over to Krystal, "Hey, what's the Seoul time -- like the exact time -- do you know?"

"No, actually.  I haven't set my watch yet.  All I know is that it's 17 hours ahead of L.A."  she responded.

"Yeah, that's all I know, too... are you done eating?"  I asked her, looking at her plate.  She had barely eaten, and didn't look like she was working on it anymore either. 

"Umm... yeah, I guess I was still kinda full from lunch."  she said.

"Oh.  What did you say they served for lunch again?"  I asked.

"You got two options: noodles with chicken, or rice with chicken."

"Which one did you pick?" 

"Rice.  I love rice."  she said with a giggle.  I smiled at her.

"Yeah, I probably would have picked the noodles.  Some tacos would have been better, though."

"You really love tacos and burritos, don't you?"  she laughed lightly.

"What's not to love?"  I said as I sipped some water.  She began to drink, as well.  I pushed her cup upwards as she drank, making her spill a bit, some going up her nose, drops rolling down her neck.

"Hey!  Oh my god!  Amber!"  she squealed as I chuckled.
 
"Hey, you're the copycat here.  Brushing your teeth when I'm brushing, drinking when I'm drinking."  I joked.  She took some of my napkins to wipe herself.  I helped by drying up her neck area.  She shivered as I lightly grazed the skin of her neck with one of my fingers by accident.  A sensitive spot. 

She ignored it.

So did I. 

She cleared , as she composed herself.  "Well, aren't you self-centered?"  she said, joking back.
 
"And I also kinda couldn't help it, it was just too easy."

"My actions don't revolve around you, servant.  I'm the royalty here."  I began to drink from my cup of water, ignoring what she had just said on purpose to some more.  Suddenly, she tilted my cup as I was drinking.  Did not expect that.  Did not expect her to be so bold.  I busted out into laughter, feeling the water go up my nose, spilling it all over myself while still laughing. 

"Revenge?"  I asked as I sprinkled the water from my fingertips onto her face.  She shoved my shoulder in reaction.
  
"Oh my god!  You're so annoying!"  she said, as she laughed.
 
"Like, oh my gawd!  You're so annoying!"  I mocked her.  She pouted, and I poked her cheek gently.  "Now look, I'm all wet.  No pun intended."  I said.  She giggled when she heard that.

"Yeah, well I'm wet, too.  Because someone is still seven years old."  she said.  I laughed, as I handed our plates over to the flight attendant who was passing by with the garbage bags.  


GOOD AFTERNOON, EVERYONE.  THIS IS YOUR PILOT SPEAKING.  WE ARE NOW GETTING READY TO LAND.  PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE SEATBELT NOTIFICATION AND PLEASE TURN OFF ALL ELECTRONIC DEVICES.  SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA: 11: 36 AM, CLEAR SKIES, 75 DEGREES, PERFECT WEATHER.  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CHOOSING US TO TAKE YOU SAFELY TO YOUR DESTINATION.  PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY.


Krystal and I both looked at each other and smiled.  It was almost as if we both communicated by telepathy to each other the amount of excitement we were feeling.  And then it hit me.  While looking at her smile, my eyes were automatically drawn to the tracing of her lips.  I kissed them in my mind.  My brain actually had the balls to recreate such a scene in my head.  Not only did I kiss her, but I enjoyed it.  I pulled her in closer.  Bad Llama.  Bad. 

"Amber?"  she asked with a smirk on her face, giving me a confused look. 

"Huh?  Yeah?"  I answered. 

"You space out a lot, I see.  Excited?"  she asked with a giggle.

"Yeah no, I ummm... yeahp.  Super excited."  I said, trying to be smooth about it, but... let's face it... what is seen cannot be unseen.  I won't be able to help but think about that kiss whenever I look at her lips.  However imaginary, my mind recreated a feeling so real.  I could still feel that touch burning on my lips...

...and then there was Soyeon.  Weird.

What was that about?  Why did Soyeon suddenly turn into Krystal?  A part of me still wishes she hadn't turned into her, but then I had no objections once she did.

I rubbed my face from my chin all the way to my hair, it with my fingers, all the way to the back of my head.  Excitement turning into uneasiness. 

I'm in another country.

I look back outside the window -- miniature roads, buildings, trees... looked like a Pokemon mini map from up here.  I look back over at Krystal.  She seemed much less nervous than me.  Well, then again, she did say her family lives here. 

"Krys, you've been here before already a couple of times, right?" 

"Oh, yeah.  Not as much, but a couple.  Usually during Holidays or whenever my sister is having a major concert, but not every year.  I'll come for a couple of months, whenever unnie can afford it for me."  she explained.  "This time, I guess it's permanent."  she said.
 
"Yeah... so I guess you're a little bit less nervous than I am?"  I ultimately wondered. 

"A bit.  I don't know exactly how nervous you are.  I'm trying to disguise it, pretending it's just another Holiday trip to see my parents, but we'll see how long that'll last."  she said jokingly with a chuckle. 

"Yeah... after it all starts to sink in."  I said, chuckling as well. 

"So, how nervous are you?"  she asked.  I my hair back once again, with both of my hands this time, clasping both hands together behind my neck.  I blew up my cheeks with air and exhaled. 

"Puuuuurty nervous."  I said with a light laugh. 

"You're such a weirdo."  she teasingly said with a smirk.  "Well, don't be..."  she continued, as she placed one of her hands on my shoulder.  "... if you ever need a reminder that everything will be okay, just let me know."  she finished saying, as she gave me a warm smile. I turned over to her and smiled in return.
 

 

The plane landed without a problem, we made it quickly through customs soon after getting our luggage.  I felt so out of place stepping out of the plane and into the Seoul airport.  It was literally all Asians.  Everywhere.  But I'm Asian, as well.  So, why should I have to feel so weird about all of this?  Maybe because I was so used to the diversity of back home -- to just seeing a few Asians here and there and going 'Oh, sweet!  They're Asian just like me.  How cool!'  Here, it's just like... what group do I belong to now?  What can I identify with now?  What am I really doing here...?  My mind just went in circles around itself, drifting into an entire galaxy of thoughts that just raced through my mind like a billion shooting stars; and then suddenly, I see my name written on a sign. 

"Hey!  That's us!"  Krystal shouted with excitement.  She grabbed my hand and pulled me with her towards the sign -- I mentioned just the sign, because I didn't even notice someone holding it.  I literally thought for a split second that the sign was just floating there in mid air with my name on it.  That thought literally inhabited my brain.  I need to stop spacing out.  And of course, Krystal's name was on it, as well, but I barely noticed it until we got closer. 

"Hey!  Glad you guys could make it safe!  Let me get that for you."  said the guy holding the sign.  He put the sign away and started grabbing our bags as he walked towards the vehicle.  As I was following him and Krystal, I saw Jesse.  I tried to wave, but he was way too distracted to even notice me.  He was hugging someone, I'm guessing that's his 'boo'.  I smiled and chuckled to myself.  , I'd be distracted, too.  I'd be like, 'da fuq did the world go?'  Everything around you sort of just vanishes in those moments, and it's only you and that person, and no one else.  The guy continued to pack our things into the car.  I could hear him exchange some small conversation with Krystal in Korean. 

"Soojung, you've grown so much since last I saw you!  Look at you!  Gorgeous just like your unnie!"  the guy said, Krystal bowed at him with a faint smile.

"Soojung?"  I softly asked Krystal.

"It's my Korean name."  she explained.  "I actually like it more than Krystal..."
 
"Oh... why didn't you tell me then?"  I wondered.

"Well..."  she giggled  "...it's 'cause you barely know Korean.  I didn't want to make you call me something in another language.  I didn't want to give you hard time."  she said.

"Pshhh!  Nonsense.  I don't mind at all!"  I said with a huge grin.  "Soojungie."

"Soojung..."  she corrected me, turning her head towards me with a soft pout.  I gave her a smirk begging innocence.  I looked her right in the eyes and I slowly said, "Soo-jun-gie."  and stuck my tongue out at her.  She gave me a death glare, and I just kept smiling at her.  I turned over to where Jesse was... still hugging.  They must have been hugging for like five minutes.  The most sincere hugs are always in an airport, it seems.  When people leave, when people arrive.  I'm thinking back on my mom and Jackie... I miss them already.  I sighed as I got into the car in the back seat together with Krystal. 

"Oh!  Amber!  Sorry, I didn't get a chance to introduce myself."  said the guy, as he looked at us through the rear mirror.  "I had to move the car quickly from the terminal area, since I couldn't find parking.  My name is Jang, and I will be your trainer for the next few months!" 

"Awesome!  Nice to meet you!  So, you gonna teach us how to get down and stuff?"  I asked.
 
"Get down?"  he asked confused.

"Yeah, you know... vibe, own it, work it..."  I tried explaining. 
 
"Amber... just... no... stop..."  Krystal interrupted, giggling at me.

"What?"  I asked with a clueless look on my face.

"What she means is, how to dance and look good on stage."  Krystal clarified.

"Oh!  I see!  I see!  Yes!  Exactly!"  said Jang, smiling at the realization.  "Very Americanized, Amber, mhhm very, very."  he said, nodding his head.  His English is so good that I forget I'm not in SoCal (South California, as said by California natives) anymore.  "Are you two very tired?  There will be a reception party at 8:00 PM.  It's almost 12:00 PM now, so you have plenty of time to relax and get ready.  I will drop you off at the dormitories, and there you will have everything you need."  Jang explained, as he drove down the highway.  I looked at Krystal, waiting for her reaction.  She looked back at me, apparently waiting for me to say something, as well. 

"Well... umm, I mean... I slept all night and all day.  I'm not really sleepy.  A shower would be nice."  I said.  "I just don't know if you're tired or not, since you didn't nap in the afternoon like I did."  I continued, looking at Krystal, waiting for a response.

"I'll go if you go.  I don't mind.  Honestly, I'm kind of excited with this all finally starting.  I'm a little ball of adrenaline right now."  said Krystal, as she took out her diary.
 
"Yeah, we'll go."  I said to Jang. 

"Great!  I will pick you up at 7:30 PM then!"  he responded.  "We're almost there.  Short ride home."

"Writing again?"  I asked Krystal, as I turned to her seeing her scribbling in her diary.

"Mhhmm, gotta keep it all up to date.  I want to remember how I finally became an idol.  Every single step of the way."  she said, without stopping her pen, not for one second.

 

 

We got there, and it kind of looked like a summer camp, at least from the outside.  A lot of young teens hanging out around the entrance gate.  It was sort of like a picketed fence, but metal-like. 

"It looks like the dorms back at UCSF."  Krystal said to me, as we were getting out of the car.
 
"Come, this way please."  said Jang as we placed our luggage on a trolley.  Everyone was staring at us, especially at me.  Except, they looked at me with a confused look and looked at Krystal with excitement, waving at Krystal, as if they knew her already.  She smiled lightly at them and bowed.  She was shy.  I was just there, being awkward, as always.  We walked past the door and into the hallways.  "And here it is.  This is your room, Amber."  said Jang.
 
"Just mine?"  I asked. 
"Hi!"  a girl said as she opened the door before Jang could even touch the knob.  She literally popped out of the door like a jack-in-the-box, except no music. 

"Haha!  Luna!  Excitable as always!  Amber, this is Luna.  Luna, this is Amber; she will be your roommate."  said Jang.  I looked over at Krystal, with a bit of worry.

"Wait... so, Krys... I mean... Soojung won't be my roommate?"  I asked. 

"They advised us best this way, since Luna does not know much English.  This will push you to speak Korean."  Jang explained.  Well, me.  This is just great.  I sighed to myself.  I lazily waved goodbye at Krystal as I walked inside of my bedroom. 

"I'll come get you in a little bit after I settle in, don't worry."  Krystal reassured me, as Jang began to close the door.  I stood there, staring at the closed door without knowing what to do.  I felt a hand tap on my shoulder, turning me around.
 

Amber & Luna Relationship
 

"Hey.  Don't worry.  Be Happy."  said the girl, smiling and squinting her eyes at me.  Did this chick just quote Bob McFerrin?
 
"Uhh... yeah."  I said, forcing enthusiasm.
 
"What is your name again?"  she asked.

"Amber."  I said.
 
"Ambah?"  she asked.
"Am-ber."  I emphasized  

"Am-bar."  she tried.

"Close enough.  And your name?"

"Sun Young, but call me Luna."  she said.
 
"Mmmk.  Hey, Luna.  Nice to meet you."  I said, attempting to re-introduce myself with a huge smile on my face.  Her face turned from a curious look to a sudden huge smile in return.
 
"Nice to meet you, too!  Ambah!"  she said, pronouncing my name again like that.  "Hey, look."  she continued, pointing to my side of the room, and showing me my bed.  It really was dorm style.  We each had a side, a huge drawer, a desk, a closet, and a bed.  I nodded at her with a smile and sat on my bed.  She went back to her desk, sitting on her laptop.  I looked around the room, strategizing in my head how I was going to organize all of my stuff when suddenly, I saw it.  A guitar.  I haven't played guitar in such a long time, ever since Soyeon accidentally dropped mine and broke it that one time. 

"Hey, is that yours?"  I asked her.  She turned around curiously and saw me pointing at the guitar.

"Umm well, I don't play it.  I'm learning."  she said.  "For a play."
  
"Do you mind?"  I asked. 

"Oh no, no, no.  Go ahead."  she said smiling.  She's so cheerful.  More so than Krystal.  It was nice, good vibes.  I picked up the guitar, and started playing the intro to 'Don't Worry Be Happy'.  It was in my head, ever since Luna quoted it.  I could hear her humming in the background.  I looked up at her and smiled.

"Don't Worry Be Happy" - Bobby McFerrin

"You know the lyrics, don't ya'?  You quoted them earlier."  I said.  She turned around and smiled at me, nodding as she just started singing the chorus.  With my eyes still on her, I gave her an even bigger smile in amazement.  Her voice is amazing.  I started harmonizing with her when suddenly someone knocked.  We both laughed, ending the song.  Yeahp.  Chica has the music in her fo sho.  I got up and opened the door.
 
"I didn't know you played guitar."  said Krystal, smiling at me, seeing the guitar in my hands.  "I thought Luna was the one playing."  she continued.

"Well, I mean, I'm a rookie.  I don't play too well."  I explained.  While still standing at the entrance, she leaned on the door frame.  Still looking at me, still smiling.  I smiled back... she then looked past me and waved at Luna.  She said something to her in Korean, and Luna laughed.  "What?  What'd you tell her?  You said it so fast.  No fair."  I complained.
 
"I told her that you stink.  Let's go shower."  she said teasing me.  I sniffed my underarm.

"I don't stink."  I said, as I placed the guitar down on my bed, gathered my toiletries and followed her out the door.  "Who's your roommate?"  I asked, as we walked down the hallway.

"Sulli.  She's nice.  A bit shy."
 
"Like you're not shy."  I said.  She bumped hips with me, pushing me a bit to the side as we continued to walk towards the showers.

"I'm not shy."  she said, defending herself.  "Just introverted."
  
"Are too..."

"Don't start..."  she growled jokingly at me. 

We walked into the showers.  There were four shower stalls.  They were behind a wall that separated the stalls from the corridor where the door was, which led to the halls.  The shower stalls were kinda like bathroom stalls where you can see the person's feet, except no doors.  Just a curtain for each stall.  Right next to the curtain, a holder to put your clothes.  Looks a tad bit uncomfortable.  I'd have to either change inside the stall once I'm done, which is going to be wet, or change in my room and just ask my roommate to not look.  I had to plan this out and think about this well since I had to make some kind of routine out of it.  I'd be doing this every day for a few months, or more if I decided to stay in the dorms for even longer than that.  I walked into my stall.  Krystal's stall was right in front of mine.  I could see her feet from underneath.  I stood there, still a bit uncomfortable.
 
"I guess this isn't really new for you, huh?"  I asked.

"The shower stalls?"  she asked.

"Yeah."

"Nope.  Do this like every day back home, pretty much."  she chuckled.  "I know, it's a bit awkward, but you'll get the hang of it."  I couldn't stop staring down at her feet, when suddenly I see her slip her legs from out of her underwear.  I gulped.  I felt my face getting so red. 

"Yeah, not used to showering with... like other chicks... err people in the same room."  I said.
 
"Oh, this is nothing compared to the Japanese onsens."
 
"The what?"
 
"The onsens?  They're public baths.  You actually bathe in front of everyone out in the open."

"Are you ing serious?"

"Yah!"  she said laughing, hearing my reaction.

"You've been to those?"
 
"Nope, not yet.  I want to, though."

"Well, you have fun."  I said.

"Oh, come on.  You have to try everything at least once."  she said, as she cut open the water.  As soon as she did that, the sound of the running water relaxed me a bit.  So, I started undressing.
 
"The word 'everything' is a very, very broad word."  I said.
 
"Oh, I know... I know."  she said, with a mischievous undertone. 

After I was done showering, I stood there for a while debating between changing in the stall or going back to the room.  Suddenly, through the small openings on the sides of the shower curtain, I saw Krystal step out of her stall in her towel.  Holy balls.  She's getting dressed.  She's getting dressed.  Holy mother ...

"Hey, Amber?"

"Y-yeah?"

"I'm getting dressed out here real quick.  Just FYI."

"Uh... y-yeah.  That's a good idea."  I said, shifting my eyes upwards, downwards, sideways, trying so hard not to stare.

"Yeah, don't want to change directly in the shower, it's wet in there, and I don't want to change in the room with Sulli either."  she explained.

"Yeah, me either.  I mean, and there's a wall right there.  If we do it quick, should be no problem.  That's a real good idea."  Oh yeah.  Super great idea.  I caught myself looking again... her back facing me, perfectly curved, perfect

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter