First Encounter

When We Meet Again

“I guess… I do love you.” His voice echoed through Rein’s head. It was very familiar and Rein hoped that the owner of that voice is just inches away from him.

                “Yah! Rein! Why are you spacing out?” Her workmate shouted into Rein’s ear which caused her to jump out of the chair.

                “I-I was just thinking of something.” Rein replied as she gathers back her thoughts. She glanced at the clock. 9PM. It’s the café’s closing time already.  When she was done changing out of her uniform, she quickly grabbed her bag and went out of the café.

                “Yeobo!” Someone called her from across the street.

                “Teukie!” Rein exclaimed. She ran towards Leeteuk and hugged him tight. They have known each other since high school. It actually never occurred to Rein that Leeteuk would be her boyfriend. He is really caring and affectionate. Even though tired from his own work, Leeteuk would never fail to fetch Rein.

                They bought tteokbokki from a street vendor and sat down on a bench. Leeteuk was ranting about how his boss dumped him with paper works when a kitten walked towards Rein’s feet.

                “Kitty!” Leeteuk cheered as he picked up the cat. Rein suddenly felt pain in her chest as she looks at the feline.

                “Leeteuk, let’s go home.” She muttered.

                “Wae? What’s wrong yeobo?” Leeteuk worried.

                “Nothing. Let’s just go home.”

 

                The cat reminded Rein of Baengshin.

                Baengshin reminded her of Kim Heechul.

                Kim Heechul reminded her of all the joy and heartaches in her life.

 

FLASHBACK

 

                Rein stared at herself in the mirror. Her hair was wrapped in a bun by tight candy colored baubles and her lips are tinted with strawberry flavored cheek tint.

                “I’ll see his dimple smile today.” Rein giggled to herself as she walked out of the comfort room. She kept touching her hair making sure she looks presentable.

                “Leeteuk is coming!” She heard one of the girls whisper. Upon hearing this, Rein immediately ran towards the school gym. As she enters, Leeteuk was already standing on the stage.

                “Good morning fellow students. I, Park Leeteuk, president of the student council would like to welcome you all to a new school year.” He announced and as he looks at the students he flashed his signature dimple smile.

                As Rein look at the smile she loves the most, she couldn’t help but smile to herself. She had been crushing on Leeteuk ever since their freshman year. Rein had fallen over for his friendly and sunshiny attitude. But since then, she hasn’t even made a move for Leeteuk to notice her.

                “He’s so cute.” She gushed to herself. Rein suddenly heard a soft snigger behind her. When she looked at where the sound was coming from, she saw a tall and milky white skinned guy whom could have mistaken for a lady.

                It was Kim Heechul. They haven’t been classmates but according to the grapevines, Heechul is gay. Rein’s friends would tell her that Heechul is really vain. During class hours, Heechul would spend his time staring at his face in the mirror. Rein just gave Heechul a glare and returned to staring at Leeteuk.

                After the welcoming ceremony in the gym, students are now going to their classrooms. Rein still doesn’t know who her classmates are but ever since day one of summer, she is hoping that she would end up in the same class as Leeteuk.

                Rein chose to seat by the window. It would give her more time to daydream about Leeteuk. Suddenly, she felt the chair behind her being occupied.

                “Hi Leeteuk’s fangirl.” Heechul sneered. Rein rolled her eyes and returned to staring at the window. Would she spend the whole school year being taunted by this guy?

                The teacher entered the classroom already yet Leeteuk is nowhere in sight. Rein took a deep sigh.

                “I guess my wish would never come true.” She thought.

                Footsteps were rapidly rushing inside the classroom. It took Rein’s attention away from the window and what she saw made her almost lose her breath.

                “Good morning ma’am. Sorry I am late. The student council had a meeting.” Leeteuk apologized.

                “It’s alright Teukie. Go and take a seat.” The teacher smiled.

                Rein’s heart was about to explode. Her wish came true and it made her really happy. Even if Leeteuk sat away from her, seeing him in the same room was enough for her.

                The day ended smoothly for Rein. Although she hasn’t done any move yet, her eyes were satisfied by the sight of Leeteuk. Rein even decided to stalk him while he is going to the student council room.

                While she was walking home, she was humming love songs. But then she suddenly heard a familiar voice as she was passing by the creek.

                “Are you okay kitty? Don’t worry. Heechulie is going to take you home.”

                Kim Heechul was holding an orange kitten with black spots on its fur. Heechul was holding the kitten high up and the sky and he was grinning as if he was playing with his own baby.

                “Aww. So cute!” Rein suddenly exclaimed.

                “Yah! What are you doing here? Are you stalking me now instead of Leeteuk?” Heechul teased.

                “I just happen to pass by Mr. Kitty .” Rein responded and sat down the grass beside Heechul. “But it’s actually nice looking at you and the cat. It’s just I’m happy I was able to see an affectionate side of you.”

                Heechul stared at Rein and he suddenly smiled.

A very genuine smile.

A smile that she have been hankering for since this day.