Chapter 6

Living in the sky with diamonds

Present

'Wait, so the two of you spent the night together?'

 

Tiffany heard the girl on the other line say

 

'It wasn't planned. She turned up at my apartment. And….'

 

'And you couldn't help yourself. Even after all this time, you're still into her. She's still into you. You're both still madly in love with each other. But….what now?'

 

'I….I don't know. Jess, what am I suppose to tell her? We're meeting for dinner tomorrow. Where do I start?'

 

'From the beginning. Tell her everything. About her mum. She deserves to know why you left just like that.'

 

'I…'

 

'You owe her that much. For leaving her, you owe her an explanation. This is your second chance to make things right.'

 

'I….'

 

'Give Taeyeon a chance to understand why you did what you did. Give yourself a chance to come clean. It's been 5 years, a lot of things have changed. I'm sure you're both old enough to handle things maturely by now.'

 

'Mmmm…'

 

'I've got to go, Tiff. I'll see you for lunch this weekend? I hope I'll see Taeyeon too if things work out well tomorrow.'

 

'Alright. Goodnight.'

 

Tiffany ended the phone call. She walked out of her bedroom and headed to the kitchen to get herself a cup of water. As she leaned against the countertop, she heard the doorbell ring.

 

'Hey.'

 

Tiffany heard the figure in front of her say

 

'W…what are you doing here? I thought we agreed on meeting tomorrow?'

 

'I know. It's just……'

 

'You need to get things off your chest?'

 

Taeyeon nodded. 

 

'Come in then.'

 

Tiffany told the older girl, leading the way. She pointed to the couch before walking into the kitchen. This time, she came back out with two glasses of water.

 

'So…..where do we start?'

 

Tiffany asked Taeyeon, hoping that the girl would take the lead. Do the asking, while she does the answering and explaining.

 

'Can you tell me what went wrong? I need to know so that I can work on it. Was I too possessive? Was I suffocating you? Did I cross a line? What did I do wrong?'

 

Taeyeon asked as her grip on the glass tightened. 

 

'Taetae, you don't have to change anything. It's not you. I was the one who didn't keep the promise we made. Do you remember the day when told me everything there was about you? Your insecurities, your fears, your dreams.'

 

Tiffany lifted Taeyeon's chin so that she could see the girl's eyes.

 

Taeyeon nodded. She could remember that day clearly. Tiffany was the first person she even told every single detail about herself. The only person who knew her most. Maybe even more than she knew herself.

 

Flashback

 

'Stop getting me involved in your problems. So what if he's seeing someone else. You're both divorced. DIVORCED. Stop using me as leverage. Stop calling me only when you need something.'

 

'How dare you talk to me like that?! I'm telling your father about this.'

 

'Go ahead. Tell him.'

 

'Don't you ever forget that I am your mother. Kim Taeyeon. Don't you ever forget that.'

 

Taeyeon heard the cold voice.

 

'Have you ever for once asked me how I am? Don't tell me that you always ask me how my day was and if I've have lunch or dinner yet. You know that it's just a filler before your real question. He's late at giving you money. He's not answering your calls. I've had enough of that. Just….Just leave me alone.'

 

Taeyeon tried her best not to cry.

 

'Taetae? What's wrong?' 

 

Taeyeon heard someone asking her. She ended the call before Tiffany came to sit next to her. Taeyeon shook her head and looked away. Her brave front crumbled when she felt Tiffany's arms around her. Almost immediately, the girl broke down. 

 

'I have baggage. A lot of baggage. Maybe….maybe we should rethink about this. I don't think I can handle a relationship. I think you deserve someone better.'

 

Taeyeon pulled away from the younger girl and wiped away her own tears

 

'I….What if I can't give you what you want?'

 

Tiffany smiled at Taeyeon, holding the girl's hand as she leaned in closer.

 

'I love you, Kim Taeyeon. All of you. I'm not going to leave. We'll get through everything together. I have baggage too.'

 

She kissed the girl gently on the lips. That night, the pair stayed up talking about everything there was to talk about each other. That night, they shared with each other their deepest darkest secrets, fears and even future expectations. 

 

As Taeyeon shared more about herself to Tiffany, she knew there and then that Tiffany was the one she wants to spend the rest of her life with. 

 

Present

 

'Can we start over? Can I truly tell you everything? Even if it means that things might end up differently for us.'

 

Taeyeon snapped out of her thoughts. She looked at the girl next to her. A face that she missed so much. She nodded before saying anything else.

 

'You start.'

 

She told the younger girl.