Chapter 5

Living in the sky with diamonds

PRESENT

 

Taeyeon was about to knock on the door when it opened wide.

 

'Oh, you're here already. I was just going to take a breather. Since you're here, let's go have dinner'

 

Lies. Taeyeon thought to herself. You're probably going for a smoke. She looked at the older woman before bowing slightly just to respect her. 

 

'Taeyeon! I thought you wouldn't show up for dinner today when Seohyun told me you rescheduled. I won't ask you where you were only because I'm happy that you're finally back home'

 

Mr Kim hugged his daughter. It was a rare occurrence for the girl to turn up in their family home. In fact, he mostly saw her in the office and when they have planned lunches or dinners outside. He knew the reason behind it but he wasn't one that would choose between his wife or his daughter. He was one who would let the pair settle things on her own.

 

'Dinner's ready. Come on. I cooked both your favorite dishes.'

 

Taeyeon heard her say. Lies. Taeyeon walked over to the dinner table to see quite a spread

 

'Your mother spent two days in the kitchen. I ate most of them last night since you're suppose to come over so she had to recook everything again when I called her this afternoon'

 

'Sorry, I got caught up with something. Thanks'

 

She muttered as she sat across the older woman

 

'I'm really glad that you came over although we settled everything that we had to over the phone this afternoon. You should come home more often. We should have dinner like this. As a family'

 

Mr Kim commented

 

'I can help myself.'

 

Taeyeon told Mrs Kim who was putting a few pieces of fish on the girl's plate. Taeyeon took the pieces of fish and placed it on a small plate.

 

'I don't eat fish.'

 

Taeyeon stated. 

 

Dinner was a painful event if someone else was sitting there. The silence was deafening as no one spoke a word. Mr Kim would try to make conversation with Taeyeon but he knew that he wouldn't be getting much from the girl's private life if he asked such questions in front of his wife.

 

After dinner, Mr Kim gestured Taeyeon into the library. He poured two glasses of whiskey and handed a glass to Taeyeon

 

'Dad, you know I have a love/hate relationship with whiskey.'

 

'A glass wouldn't hurt.'

 

Taeyeon smiled at her father's attempt to lighten the atmosphere. She took a sip and cringe at the taste, wondering why her father would drink it straight.

 

'So, where were you last night?'

 

'I thought you weren't going to ask?'

 

'I only said that because I know you weren't going to tell me if your mother's around'

 

'Heh'

 

'So, really, where were you last night?'

 

'I had a sleepover at a friend's.'

 

'At this age? Just a friend? Is it someone I know? Yuri? Jessica? Speaking of them, how are they doing? Seems like their relationship is going on quite strong.'

 

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow at her father's words. The older man has always been curious about her private life but she didn't know that he knew anything about Yuri's and Jessica's relationship.

 

'Y..You knew about them?'

 

'Isn't it quite obvious? I thought they were just best friends but I had a business meeting at a restaurant and I saw them leaving the restaurant holding hands and well, they shared a kiss or two. I'm sure best friends don't do those things together.'

 

'Y…You don't think it's disgusting?'

 

'I guess you can't really choose who you love. Taeyeon ah, I know our relationship isn't as great as it was in the past. I don't know how I could ever make it up to you but I hope one day, you can let me back in. I know you have your secrets, I have secrets too. Things I can't tell you because I want to protect you. All I'm asking for is that you work really hard and prove to me that you are ready to take over the company.'

 

Taeyeon looked at Mr Kim who has a solemn look across his face.

 

'It ends when you're ready to take up more responsibility. When you're ready to fight instead of flight. Both you and Tiffany.'

 

Taeyeon heard her father say before they heard a knock on the door. She still had more to say but she stopped herself when she saw the older woman by the door.

 

'Have some fruits while you discuss.'

 

Mrs Kim entered the library while carrying a plate of fruits. She made herself comfortable next to Mr Kim, hugging him by the side. A sight that Taeyeon still cringe at. 

 

'I should go now.'

 

'Another sleepover?'

 

Mr Kim asked

 

'Not tonight.'

 

'Drive safely. I'll see you at the office tomorrow. There's a meeting with the Japanese at 3pm.'

 

'Sure. Goodnight.'

 

Taeyeon bowed at the pair. She replayed Mr Kim's words and was trying hard to figure out what he meant and how he knew about Tiffany.