Chapter 2

Living in the sky with diamonds

University

 

‘Taeyeon, isn’t your Sociology test today?’

 

Sunny nudged her roommate.

 

‘What time is it?’

 

‘8.45am’

 

‘WHAT?! WHY DIDN’T YOU WAKE ME UP EARLIER?’

 

Taeyeon jumped out of bed and immediately ran to the bathroom. She came out in less than 5 minutes putting and hurriedly puts on her clothes. Her exam is starting in 10 minutes.

 

She grabbed her wallet and rushed out of the room.

 

‘Y…your pens!’

 

Sunny tried to call out after the girl.

 

Taeyeon reached the venue with barely any time left. She managed to find her seat and was calming herself down after sprinting. The girl stuffed her hands in her jeans pocket and sure enough, she started panicking.

 

‘Oh god. This can’t be happening. Where are my pens?’

 

She mumbled to herself. She started to check all of her pockets including her hoodie jacket. She was about to stand up when the head invigilator started to announce instructions.

 

‘Everyone, please be seated. We will be starting our exam in two minutes.’

 

Taeyeon sat back now. She tried telling herself that everything would be fine, she could just ask one of the invigilators for an extra pen. Just then, the invigilator that was walking in between her row and the next one stopped next to her table.

 

‘Is this yours?’

 

Taeyeon heard the lady ask the girl next to her.

 

‘I don’t think so, I think it’s hers.’

 

She heard the girl reply

 

‘Sorry, is this yours?’

 

The invigilator asked Taeyeon.

 

‘U…Huh?’

 

The invigilator didn’t wait for the reply and placed the pen on Taeyeon’s desk before continuing to hand out the exam papers.

 

Taeyeon looked at the pen that had the name ‘Tiffany’ on it. The last time she checked, her name wasn’t Tiffany. She turned to look at the girl next to her and immediately recognized her. It was the girl that she met a few weeks before.

 

The girl smiled at her and Taeyeon smiled back. The next thing the pair heard was the head invigilator’s voice.

 

‘You have 3 hours. All the best. You can begin.’

 

The pair broke eye contact and started on their respective exam paper.

 

Tiffany had woken up early. It was exams day for her. She had zero worries about the exam since she knew she had studied enough for it. She got herself ready after preparing a simple breakfast of sausages and eggs for both herself and her roommate.

 

‘Jess, I’m leaving. Breakfast is on the table.’

 

She told her roommate.

 

‘Hmmmmm.’

 

Her roommate responded.

 

She made her way to the exam hall and saw the large group of students holding their notes and doing some last minute revisions. Tiffany walked away from them and found herself a quiet corner. She watched the students from a distance, watching them psyching each other out about the exams. She plugged her earphones in and leaned against the chair while waiting for the exam hall to open.

 

She listened to a few songs and noticed that the group of students who had been crowding outside the exam hall were starting to enter. She stood up and took her cardigan out from her bag. Tiffany walked to the front of the tables and placed her bag in front after taking out her campus id and her pens. She then walked over to her table and decided to just chill while waiting for the paper to start.

 

Tiffany kept checking her time since time seems to go by really slowly and she just can’t wait to get it over and done with. There was about 3 more minutes to the start of the paper when she noticed a girl rushing in. The girl took a seat next to Tiffany and it was quite obvious that the girl was probably running. She took one look at the girl and immediately recognized her. It was the girl that she had met a few weeks ago at the vending machine. She was pretty sure that it was the same girl that left her the cup of coffee.

 

She watched as the girl starting patting herself and checking her pockets. It seems like the girl was looking for something. Tiffany heard the girl mumble and she knew that the girl was looking for her pens. Tiffany smiled at her decision to bring extra pens. She didn’t know how to pass it to the girl since they weren’t allowed to talk or anything in the exam hall. She then decided to just drop the pen near the girl. Her plan worked as the invigilator walked by and picked it up. She lied about the pen being hers and said that it was Taeyeon’s.

 

She finally had a good look at the girl when the girl turned to face her. Tiffany was unaware that she had been staring at the girl all along. She smiled at the girl who smiled at her in return.

 

Tiffany was one of the first few to finish the paper. It was easy for the girl. After getting her bag and exiting the exam hall, she contemplated between waiting for the girl to get her pen back and to use it as an excuse to thank the girl person or to just head back to her dorm room. That decision was decided by her roommate who messaged the girl asking her out for lunch. Tiffany called the girl and went off to meet her. She figured that if they were meant to meet again, they would.

 

Taeyeon looked around the area after she was done with her paper. She was hoping that the girl would have waited. Taeyeon was slightly disappointed when she didn’t spot the familiar face. She then decided to wait for someone else. It wasn’t until about 20 minutes later when the girl she was waiting for exited the examination hall.

 

‘Oh, Taeng? Were you late? I didn’t see you get into the exam hall’

 

‘Hey, Yul. You’re in Prof Song’s class right?’

 

Taeyeon asked her best friend

 

‘Yeah. I couldn’t get into the same class as you.’

 

‘D…Do you know a girl named Tiffany in your class?’

 

‘Do I know her?!’

 

‘Y..Yeah. What’s with the reaction?’

 

‘She’s my girlfriend’s best friend. They’re roommates too. What about her?’

 

‘Oh. Erm, could you return this to her for me? And tell her thanks.’

 

‘Huh?’

 

Yuri looked at her friend slightly puzzled.

 

‘Why don’t you give it to her yourself?’

 

‘I….I don’t really know her actually.’

 

‘Well, you’re in luck. I’m suppose to meet my girl for a study session now. Tiffany’s probably with her. So you’re coming with me.’

 

‘W…What?’

 

Taeyeon didn’t have much of a choice as Yuri slung her arm around the shorter girl and lead the way.