Chapter 4

Living in the sky with diamonds

Present

 

Taeyeon woke up to what she thought was the most beautiful view ever. She smiled as she watched Tiffany stir in her sleep. The girl had to pinch herself just to know that it's not just a dream. She reached out to gently sweep Tiffany's fringe away. 

 

'Hmmmmm' 

 

Tiffany slowly opened her eyes and smiled as soon as she saw who was in front of her. 

 

'Still sleepy?' 

 

Taeyeon asked the girl. Tiffany nodded as her eyes started to close again.

 

'Let's just stay like this for a little bit longer'

 

Taeyeon whispered as she pulled Tiffany closer to her. Tiffany snuggled against Taeyeon. They enjoyed each other's presence and warmth. Both wishing that things could stay like this forever but they both knew that it would never be that simple.

 

It wasn't until a few hours later when Tiffany's phone started ringing.

 

'Hello? Oh. Right now? Okay, I'll be right there.'

 

'What's wrong?'

 

Taeyeon asked though her eyes were still closed.

 

'I need to go to the office. There's a few shipments that just came in and they need me to sign for it.'

 

'Can't you ask someone else to do that?'

 

'I can't. Are you going to stay in bed?'

 

'I'll send you to work.'

 

'Then you should get up now.' 

 

Tiffany tried to pull the girl but Taeyeon had her own plans. She pulled Tiffany instead, causing the girl to fall on top of her. Taeyeon started kissing the girl passionately as if to make up for lost time.

 

'Taetae, I need to go.'

 

Tiffany told the girl when she finally pulled herself away from Taeyeon. 

 

'I miss that.'

 

'Huh?'

 

'You calling me that. I miss that. I miss you. I miss us.'

 

Tiffany could only smile as she leaned in for one last peck before leaving Taeyeon alone in the bedroom. As soon as Taeyeon heard the water running from the bathroom, her phone started to ring.

 

'The President said you didn't turn up for dinner. He came by the office this morning but I managed to say that you're out meeting a client. Where are you exactly? And is everything okay?'

 

Taeyeon heard her secretary say. Seohyun has been working under Taeyeon for almost 4 years now and the girl knew that Taeyeon was never someone who would turn up late for work without prior notice or miss a meeting with the President. She found Taeyeon's behavior rather worrying

 

'I'm fine. I'll explain it to you later. Can you tell the President that I'll come over for a quick dinner tonight. I'll be in the office in about 2 hours. Sorry, Hyunnie. I owe you one.'

 

Taeyeon ended the call just as Tiffany walked out of the shower in just a towel covering her essentials.

 

'You still look beautiful'

 

She told the girl

 

'And you're still a sweet talker.'

 

Tiffany responded.

 

'You can take a shower now.' 

 

Tiffany passed Taeyeon a spare towel. The older girl took it and gave Tiffany a peck on her exposed shoulder. She ended up lost in her thoughts with the shower running. It wasn't until Tiffany asked her if she was okay that she snapped out of it. She came out of the shower and saw that Tiffany had ironed her clothes and they were laid out neatly on the bed.

 

'Thanks.'

 

She smiled at the girl.

 

'We really need to hurry. I'm suppose to be at the office in 15 minutes.'

 

Tiffany told Taeyeon. Taeyeon got dressed as quickly as she could. 

 

Taeyeon kept stealing glances at Tiffany who was busy typing on her phone throughout the ride to Tiffany's office. It turns out that Tiffany's office was just 10 minutes away from Taeyeon's office. When Tiffany finally stopped using her phone, Taeyeon took the opportunity to hold the girl's hand with her free hand. As much as she was happy that she finally reunited with the love of her life, everything else was still a blur. What are they? Friends? Lovers? Can they truly go back to how things were 5 years ago? Or did the 5 years change the two of them?

 

'Thanks for the ride. I think we should talk about this. About us.'

 

Tiffany told the girl as if reading her mind.

 

'We should. Can we have dinner tomorrow?'

 

'Dinner sounds good.'

 

'I'll pick you up at 7?'

 

'Sure.'

 

Tiffany smiled before she opened the door.

 

'Pany ah.'

 

Taeyeon called out

 

'Huh?'

 

'I'm still in love with you.'

 

Taeyeon confessed.

 

'I'm still in love with you too. Let's talk about this tomorrow. I'm late and you need to go to work.'

 

Tiffany gave the girl one last smile before she walked away from the car.

 

'Who's that?'

 

Tiffany heard someone asking her as soon as she entered the building.

 

'Is that your girlfriend?'

 

The man asked as he leaned in and gave Tiffany a peck on the cheek while glancing at Taeyeon who was driving away

 

'OPPA!!' 

 

Tiffany slapped her brother's chest.

 

'Is that the girl you were dating back in college? The one you told dad about?'

 

Tiffany nodded

 

'Are you planning on getting back together with her?'

 

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders. She had told her family about Taeyeon when her father found a box of their pictures. Tiffany had moved back to the US after her breakup with Taeyeon and had to attend something while she was in the middle of unpacking. Her father had arrived home early from work and thought of helping his youngest daughter with the unpacking. That was when he found the letters, the pictures and the things that Tiffany still kept. He asked her about it over dinner that night. What surprised Tiffany most was how her family accepted it easily. Mr Hwang told the girl that she missed the smile that were in the pictures and he would give anything just to see his daughter smile like that way again. He knew that the pair had broken up but had no clue about the reason behind it. If there was one thing that he could be sure of, it was that Tiffany was still very much in love with Taeyeon. In fact, it was one of the reasons why he pushed the girl to take over the company's branch in Seoul. He thought that if she was in the same country as her past lover, the possibility of his daughter mending things with Taeyeon or finding the closure she needed was higher.

 

'You didn't go home?'

 

Seohyun asked Taeyeon when the girl arrived at the office. She shook her head before gesturing the girl to sit.

 

'Hyunnie ah. Can I trust you?'

 

Taeyeon asked the younger girl

 

'I don't know. I lost track of the number of secrets I've been keeping for you as well as the number of times I've covered up for you'

 

The girl responded while Taeyeon just smiled

 

'…D…Do you remember about the girl I told you about? My first real love?'

 

Seohyun raised her eyebrow, unsure about where the conversation is going

 

'I finally found her. She's here. She's within reach. B..But why does it feel so unreal? Why does it feel like it's something momentary. Like she's not here to stay.'

 

'I don't know. I can't answer those for you.'

 

'…..There's just so many things I want to ask her. I don't even know where to begin.'

 

Seohyun listened as Taeyeon went on rambling. She knew that Taeyeon just needed someone to listen to. She knew that the older girl wasn't expecting any answers from her but just a listening ear. Seohyun also noticed how Taeyeon would smile when she talks about the girl called 'Tiffany'. A name that she has heard before. Though she has never met the girl in person, she knew how Tiffany looks like. Taeyeon has a picture of herself and Tiffany on her desk. As well as a group picture of herself, Tiffany, Yuri and Jessica. Taeyeon had the same smile as the one in the pictures. A smile that showed genuine happiness.