Chapter 1

Living in the sky with diamonds

 

University

 

Taeyeon was starting to get annoyed. It’s almost 1am and she’s still stuck in the library trying to finish up her assignment that she’s suppose to hand in by the end of the week. She liked how the school library is opened 24/7 since the girl is pretty nocturnal. You could say that her body clock is wrecked as the only time she feels wide awake is when the sun goes down.

 

She has been glued to her laptop for the past 8 hours. By now, everything and anything is starting to annoy her. She wasn’t alone in the library but judging by the snores and the number of heads that are still up, she might just be a handful that is actually doing work.

 

She found herself having difficulties focusing again. Taeyeon knew that her mind is just using this as an excuse to procrastinate. She decided to take a walk and get herself a cup of coffee from the vending machine outside. The girl grabbed a few coins as well as her valuables before she made her way out.

 

Taeyeon stretched her body once she got outside. The cold air was somewhat refreshing. She walked over to the vending machine only to hear a frustrated groan.

 

‘URGH! Stupid machine. Give me back my coins!’

 

She heard a few loud slams followed by some mumbling that she can’t decipher.

 

‘Just my luck!’

 

Taeyeon walked around the corner just in time to see the girl punching the button for a hot latte continuously before kicking the vending machine.

 

‘You’re going to wake up the entire dorm if you continue doing that. Don’t think it would give you back your coins either. How much do you need?’

 

Taeyeon asked the girl who’s back was facing her.

 

‘Oh. Sorry. Didn’t see you there. It’s fine.’

 

The girl turned around and walked off.

 

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders and tried to see if the vending machine is working. The vending machine seemed to work fine for Taeyeon so the girl decided to get 2 cups of coffee. One for herself and one for the girl that just left.

 

‘Well, if I don’t see her then, I guess no sleep for me tonight’

 

Taeyeon muttered as she carried the coffee back to the open space outside the library. She was surprised to see the same girl she had seen earlier with her head on the bench. Taeyeon smiled and placed the coffee at a bench nearby before walking into the library. She came back out with a post it and sat on the benchtop where she had placed the coffee. She wrote something on the note before sticking it to the coffee and placed it near the sleeping girl. Taeyeon made sure that the coffee wasn’t too near just in case the girl might knock it over. She took one last good look at the sleeping girl before finishing her own cup of coffee and going back in the library.

 

Tiffany woke up when her nose caught the scent of coffee. She had a rough day. Tiffany was late for her lecture and it just had to be her most hated module. She swore that the professor has something against her. As if that wasn’t bad enough, she found herself sitting next to a guy that was busy spreading his germs. He was continuously blowing his nose and the close proximity to the used pile of tissues made her very very uncomfortable.

 

She was supposed to meet up with an old friend after class. The plan was that they would have dinner together and catch up. As luck would have it, her phone died right after her class. Tiffany rushed to the agreed venue that was about an hour away only to end up waiting 3 hours for a girl who never turned up. She also ended up missing the last bus and had no choice but to take a cab back to the dorms. Since Tiffany didn’t have any cash with her, she handed the cab driver her card as most cab services offer payments through either credit or debit card transactions. Luck was definitely not on her side as the cab driver made it very clear that he was not a fan of such payment methods, forcing the girl to circle around just to find an ATM. By then, her cab fare was quite a hefty sum.

 

On her way back to her dorm room, Tiffany figured that she could us a drink. She thought that her day might end on a good note since she had just enough coins to get herself a cup of coffee. That all changed when the machine decided to swallow her coins without giving her any coffee in return. After cursing and fussing, a girl who looked like a freshman came up to her to comment on it. As she wasn’t exactly in the mood to socialize or entertain anyone, she decided to just walk off. While walking away, she started digging her bag only to find that her keys were missing. Frustrated at how her day was just getting from bad to worst, Tiffany just gave up and decided to just calm herself down at the nearest bench.

 

Tiffany opened her eyes slowly and noticed a cup of coffee in front of her. It had a baby blue post it on it.

 

‘Had a long talk with the machine about eating your money. Hope this makes you day.

 

The note wrote. Tiffany smiled as she read the note. She liked how the person has a sense of humor. She stood up and grabbed the coffee with one hand. As she sipped the warm coffee, she made a mental note to say thank you to the person.