It's My Life

The Train to [the After] Life
XSYKOTICA








It’s my life. I’m sure I’ll be fine, I repeat these words inside my heart. Always a star, don’t be so reserved, no. People won’t listen, to your excuses the steps I’ve taken so far are my story live a rock ‘n’ roll life, If you don’t want to lose your passion

Woohyun stared at the rushing water beneath him as his body weighted heavier than it actually was. His right hand was holding onto the railings—the only thing that was keeping him from plunging into the darkness of the water.

His eyes were clouded but even if his whole system was running on alcohol, his mind was alert and ready. He wasn’t doing this because he’s alcohol induced mind wanted to, of course not. It was his own thoughts and his own actions that wanted to end his life right now—after all, a drunk man’s actions is a sober man’s desires.

He chuckled to himself as he tried not to let the fear in his heart stop him because really he was done, maybe it was the fact that he drove himself here in this unknown little town or maybe it was the fact that he’s nerves were buzzing with alcohol—he didn’t know. He wanted nothing more than to end his life right then and there.

“This is it Nam Woohyun,” He whispered to himself, his alcohol laced breath irritating his nose. “This will be your best show yet. The grand finale.”

He smiled to himself as he took a step forward, his legs shaking. Ready to end his life, ready to leave everyone behind.

“Stop! Jesus Christ, stop!” Woohyun’s eyes widened when he heard a shrill voice ringing out. He turned around and stared at the boy with fiery red hair staring at him, his breath erratic and his hand on his heart. “Are you going to kill yourself?”

Woohyun raised an eyebrow as a smug smirk took hold of his lips. “Yes, yes I am. And you can’t stop me.”

The red head stared at him for a second and shrugged. “I’m not trying to stop you. What you do with your life is none of my business.”

Woohyun stared at him confusingly, his eyes squinting. “Then why’d you stop me?”

The boy pointed towards Woohyun’s chest with a serious look on his face. “I want your heart.”

“Mother fu—” Woohyun was cut off when his feet slid from the edge but luckily instead of falling forward, he fell backwards and he landed on the ground with a hiss. “D-Did you just confess to me?!”

“W-What?” The boy stuttered, a bit shocked to hear such accusation. “No! I just want your heart!”

“Sicko!” Woohyun shouted as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. “You take one step towards me and I’m calling the police!”

“Really now?” The boy raised an eyebrow as he rolled his eyes. “You’re going to call the police when you’re the person who’s standing on a bridge ready to jump off?”

“I…” Woohyun stared at the young boy and sighed, placing his phone back in his pocket. “Good point.”

The boy sighed in relief as he moved forward and offered his hand for Woohyun to take. Woohyun scoffed at his offer and pushed himself off of the ground himself. “So, why do you need my heart then?”

“Well you’re obviously not going to use it are you?” The boy asked as Woohyun growled in annoyance.

“What’s your name anyway?” Woohyun asked as the boy smiled shyly.

“Kim Sungkyu,”

“Well listen Sungkyu, I really don’t take to kindly strangers asking for my heart,” Woohyun points to his chest. “With whatever nasty reason you might need it. I know my fans are crazy and all that but no okay?”

“Fans?” Sungkyu asked, tilting his head to the side. “You’re famous?”

Woohyun felt the small throb of a headache coming on as he breathed out his mouth, trying to calm himself down. “It’s me, Nam Woohyun. I might look a bit like trash because of the alcohol but it’s me Nam Woohyun.

Sungkyu stared at him dully. “Doesn’t ring a bell.”

“Wha…? What do you mean it doesn’t ring a bell?! You should be honored to be talking to me right now. Let alone be near my presence!” Woohyun shouted as Sungkyu merely shrugged.

“I’m crying inside of joy,” Sungkyu commented dryly. “Now are you going to give me your heart or not?”

“What?! No!” Woohyun shouted, pointing a finger at the boy. “You’re crazy!”

“Not really, my doctor just says I have a bad heart,” Sungkyu commented as he stared at Woohyun. “And I need a transplant.”

Woohyun stared at the boy in front of him and sighed, finally understanding what he meant by ‘he needed his heart’. “Oh…okay now I get it. You couldn’t have leaded on with that?”

“What?” Sungkyu asked in mock hurt. “I wanted to be straightforward and that was it—I wanted your heart.”

“Yeah but you made it sound like…” Woohyun sighed and shook his head. “Never mind. Well you want this old ticker huh? What if it’s not a match?”

“Well…let’s ask a doctor about it, okay?”


“It’s a match,” Sungkyu sighed in relief as he stared at the doctor who took a seat in front of him.

 “Are you sure Doctor Lay? It’s really a match?”

“Lay?” Woohyun asked, his eyebrows furrowing. “That’s your name?”

“It’s actually Yixing but I rather prefer Lay,” Lay smiled warmly at Woohyun as he nodded. “And yes it’s a match. Only problem is he’s alive and I really can’t perform a heart transplant on a live human being.”

“Doesn’t matter!” Sungkyu piped up with a smile. “He’ll be dead in no time!”

“Hey!” Woohyun shouted, not really that comfortable talking about his death.

“I’m not too comfortable about you talking about your murder plans in front of me.” Lay said with a frown as Sungkyu shook his head.

“I’m not going to kill him, he’s going to kill himself.” Sungkyu elaborated as Lay’s frowned deepened.

“Did you place a huge bet on yourself in this argument or something?” Woohyun asked as Sungkyu ignored him.

“Okay I’ll ignore the past conversation since you’re my friend,” Lay said as he stared at Sungkyu. Sungkyu sighed in defeat as Lay stood up from his seat and walked towards Sungkyu, he then placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and squeezed lightly. “Six months, Sungkyu.”

Sungkyu frowned as he stared at the white tiled floor, the words ringing in his head. “I know.”


“I don’t like the assistant, he’s too cheery.” Woohyun commented as he stared at the assistant who was waving at them goodbye from the entrance of the small hospital.

“Luhan is a naturally cheery person.”

“We’ll I hate cheery people,” Woohyun scoffed as Sungkyu chuckled.

“Then you’ll really hate Chanyeol.”

“Who now?” Woohyun asked as he turned towards Sungkyu.

Sungkyu merely shook his head and turned to Woohyun. “Listen…I’m sorry.”

“For what? For wanting me dead or for wanting my heart?”

“Both…?” Sungkyu chuckled dryly. “Both. I apologize for both. I got carried away…when the Doc told me for the first time that I had only six months to leave left…I panicked. My name’s on the list but really…” Sungkyu shrugged and bit his lower lip, knowing that having his name on the list really wasn’t going to change. Thousands of patients die all the time mainly because they were waiting for a suitable match for an organ.

Woohyun rolled his eyes and crossed his arms in front of him. “Where am I anyway?”

“Huh? You don’t know?” Sungkyu asked as Woohyun shook his head. “You’re in Infinite Town.”

Woohyun chocked on his own spit as he coughed. “E-Excuse me?”

“Infinite Town,” Sungkyu repeated, his voice a bit irritated. “What’s so funny about that?”

“Because! What town is called Infinite? That’s a stupid name!” Woohyun said as he tried to keep the chuckle to himself but failed—mainly because of the alcohol he presumed.

“Well it’s our town,” Sungkyu said with a small glare. “And don’t make fun of it, it’s my hometown.”

“Sorry, sorry,” Woohyun apologized as he ruffled up his hair, making it messier that it was before.

“Well okay, goodbye then.” Sungkyu waved goodbye as Woohyun’s eyes widened, he reached out and took a hold of Sungkyu’s arm and pulled him back.

“Where are you going?”

“Somewhere that’s none of your business,”

“But don’t you want my heart?” Woohyun asked as Sungkyu’s eyes darkened.

“No, I’m good.”

Woohyun stared at him incredulously. “What do you mean you’re good? Didn’t the doc tell you you’ve got six months left?!” Woohyun shouted as Sungkyu stared at him. He then let out a sigh and pulled his arm away.

“Well now that I’m thinking clearly, I can’t possibly ask you to kill yourself so that you can give your heart to me.”

“Well I didn’t see you trying to stop me from jumping off of the bridge,” Woohyun said as Sungkyu blushed lightly.

“Okay, I’m sorry about that. But I need to go now.” Sungkyu insisted as he looked at the watch on his wrist.

“Where are you going anyway?”

Sungkyu stared at Woohyun and saw the determination in his eyes and knew that there was no stopping this guy. He rubbed his temple and sighed in annoyance.

“If I take you with me, will you shut up?”

Woohyun smirked lightly and nodded. “I will.”  


Woohyun stared at the shady dark bar room and tried to keep his criticisms to himself. He could smell the beer and stale cigarettes that hung in the air and tried to breathe in from his mouth as much as he possibly could.

He stared at the small dirty stage in the middle of the bar room and frowned. Though he didn’t know why he was so insistent on following Sungkyu—alcohol he reasoned—but he did and here he was, sitting on an uncomfortable chair as he watched Sungkyu stand up on stage adjusting the microphone and taking his seat on the piano. Woohyun frowned and shook his head.

“Is that guy singing?” He whispered to himself.

“Sure is,” Woohyun jumped a little on his seat when he swiveled around and stared at the bartender leaning on the counter staring at Sungkyu. “Best singer in the whole town, right after me of course.” He stated proudly as Woohyun stared at him.

“And you are…?” Woohyun asked as the bartender turned to him and chuckled.

“Right sorry, my name’s Jongdae. And you are?” Jongdae held it out his hand as Woohyun shook it.

“Woohyun,”

“Nice name you’ve got there,” Jongdae says with a smile as he turned back to Sungkyu. “Now be quiet and listen to real talent take the stage.”

Woohyun chuckled and rolled his eyes. “Talent? I doubt it.”

“And what has you doubting him?” Jongdae asked as he raised an eyebrow.

“Because he’s—” Woohyun bit lip to stop himself, not wanting to say that Sungkyu was dying. He knew it was a douchebag move but Woohyun never really had the stomach to hear other people praise others, not him but others especially when it came to singing—those awards on his shelf said it all. He didn’t know why but just the thought of someone better than him was making his anger boil. “Nothing.”

“Hmm…you’re a weird little kid,” Jongdae commented as he chuckled and patted his back. “I like that.”

“Glad you do,” Woohyun said dryly as Jongdae nodded and turned his attention back to Sungkyu. Sungkyu on the other hand was now taking his seat and breathed in a deep breath.

“I’m going to sing Only Tears,” Sungkyu said into the microphone as Jongdae nodded, approving.

“Oh, I love it when he sings that song,” Jongdae commented with a smile. “It suites his voice best I think.”

Sungkyu sighs and closes his eyes, trying to assemble the lyrics in his head. Once he had done so, he opened his mouth and let the song take over.

I love you. I’m sorry
But I can’t do this anymore
I don’t even have the right to get close to you
Don’t love me
I don’t have the ease of being able to give you my heart
I live every day beyond my strength
Each day is too much so I cry

 

His voice was weak at first, but gradually it got stronger. Filling the bar room with his beautiful voice. Woohyun closed his eyes, trying to remember from the cresses of his mind as to where he heard the song before.

Oh, I.. I don’t have anything I can give you
(but I’m) missing you
I can’t even give you loving words
But I’m missing you
I can’t even boldly wish for you to be mine
But I’m missing you
So I push you away
Because I’m a guy who has nothing but his own heart

 

Ah, he mused silently. Now he remembered. It was the song that he sang to audition and it was the song that skyrocketed him to fame. He remembered how everyone seemed to praise his vocal prowess and his talent as a singer. Everything else about the memory faded in contrast as he only remembered one thing and one thing only.

I’m holding back, even though it hurts
Even tears are a luxury for me
I don’t even have the right to look at you
Don’t look at me

 

He remembered how much he wanted to become a singer because he liked singing. He loved the way people lit up the moment he opened up his mouth—he remembered how much fun singing was. It was never a job, it was never ratings and music charts, but it was about the feeling of love that bubbled up in his stomach when he sang.

I know that my heart is wherever you are
Close enough our breaths can touch
Always in that same place

 

Yes, this was what made him happy that day because it became the song that made him famous. This song that filled his heart—seemingly fixing the broken pieces of his heart back into place.

Oh, I… I don’t have anything I can give you
(but I’m) missing you
I can’t even give you loving words
But I’m missing you
I can’t even boldly wish for you to be mine
But I’m missing you
So I push you away

 

Woohyun frowned as he listened closer. Sungkyu’s voice became quivery—like the meaning of the song held more importance to him, like meaning of the words weighed more than it actually did. Woohyun opened his eyes, just a crack, and frowned. He could see Sungkyu desperately trying to hold back the tears as his lip quivered. Every word seemingly harder to pronounce than the last. He closed his eyes again and continued to listen—it was not his place to ask.

More than anyone else in this world
I love you, so I hold back

Oh I… I can’t hold your hand
But I’m missing you
I’m worried I might just have my tears to hold
So I’m missing you
I can’t tell you to stay with me
But I’m missing you
So it’s too much, but in the end
It’s because I’m a man who has nothing but his own heart

 

Woohyun opened his eyes and looked at Sungkyu as applause and hoots of praise filled the bar room. Woohyun turned to Jongdae, the bartender, and watched him clap and shout out Sungkyu’s name.

“Is he in love or something?” Woohyun asked as Jongdae turned to him, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“Not that I know of, why?”

“Because…well he looked so…” Woohyun started, not knowing how to finish the sentence. He was entranced at way Sungkyu sang the song. Yes, his voice was amazing (something Woohyun bitterly admitted) but the feelings that ran through each word, the softness yet intense feelings that seemed to weave itself in the lyrics—Woohyun couldn’t explain it. It was the first time he ever heard someone sing like that, someone that sang like he was creating magic.

And he wanted to sing like that.

“Into the song?” Jongdae supplied as Woohyun nodded. “Maybe because he wrote it?”

Woohyun almost chocked on his own spit as he stared at Jongdae with wide eyes. “He what?!”

“Yeah,” Jongdae nodded with a small shrug. “Before he moved to this town, he wrote some songs in the city from what I heard. And he specifically likes singing that song, he keeps singing it over and over again.”

Woohyun gritted his teeth in frustration as he downed the last of his drink. So that’s why he felt like Sungkyu was singing magic—because it was magic. Though that song was not very known, it was Woohyun’s favorite song. So, he reasoned, if Sungkyu’s wrote him a song he’d be able to sing like that as well. He smirked proudly at himself and marched up to Sungkyu, a smile on his lips.

“I want you to write for me,”

Sungkyu stared at Woohyun and raised an eyebrow. “Oh, you’re still here.”

Woohyun ignored that and smiled. “How much do you want?”

“What?” Sungkyu asked as he stepped down from the stage, nodding and smiling at the people that complimented him.

“If you write a song for me, how much do you want?” Sungkyu scoffed and shook his head as he reached the entrance of the bar.

“I don’t write songs anymore,” Sungkyu said as he made his way out of the bar. Woohyun followed him relentlessly as Sungkyu tried to walk faster, trying to get away from the Woohyun.

“What do you mean you don’t write songs anymore?” Woohyun asked incredulously. “That song was good!”

“Because I want to sing!” Sungkyu shouted as he turned around and glared at Woohyun. “But I can’t obviously do that now because I have six months left!”

Woohyun stopped and stared at the retreating form of Sungkyu. He wanted to stop him but he knew he had no right.

“God this ,” He lamented as he clutched his head. “Probably the alcohol,” He reasoned as he bit his lower lips and  sighed.


“Is there really no way, doc?” Woohyun asked as he sat on the chair. Lay stared at Woohyun and shook his head sadly.

“We’re just a small town Woohyun,” Lay addressed him with a sad smile. “And, like it or not, when stuff like this happens we get the short end of the stick.”

Woohyun bit his lips and nodded. “What if I pay for it?”

Lay chuckled and shook his head. “You can’t possibly have enough money to pay for such—HOLY MAMA THAT’S A LOT OF ZEROS!”

Lay shouted as he stared at the big fat check that was staring at him. Woohyun smirked at himself and watched as Lay took the check and seemingly started to rub it against his cheek almost to the point of cooing.

“Ahmm, doctor?” Woohyun said as Lay placed the check down and cleared his throat a light pink blush on his cheeks. Lay pushed the check back and shook his head.

“Nope, still not going to do it.”

Woohyun sighed and rolled his eyes, he reached over and took the check in his hands and poised his pen on the check. “How much more do you want?”

Lay sat up straighter and crossed his arms in front of him. “No,”

“Oh come on!”

“Woohyun you’re asking me, a certified licensed doctor, to alter the records so that Sungkyu can get a new heart.”

Woohyun rolled his eyes and scoffed. “Basically, aren’t you his friend?”

“Yes, I am,” Lay nodded with a proud smile. “But I’m a doctor first and a friend second. Sungkyu knows that.”

Woohyun scoffed. “You must have a lot of friends then.”

“Listen, why do you care anyway?” Lay asked, raising an eyebrow. “You just met him today.”

Woohyun paused and stared at Lay, why did he care so much anyway? Sungkyu was an absolute stranger to him—a stranger that literally wanted his heart.

“Because of the alcohol,” Woohyun blurted out as Lay furrowed his eyebrows.

“What?”

“Doctor Lay, Sungkyu’s here~!” Luhan announced as he smiled cheerfully, making Woohyun cringed in horror at his cheerfulness.

“Let him in,” Lay said as Woohyun looked at Sungkyu. Sungkyu stared at the room and frowned when his gaze landed on Woohyun.

“Are you following me?” Sungkyu asked as Woohyun smiled his winning smile.

“Baby I’ll follow you till you love me~” Woohyun said in a song-songy voice as Sungkyu scoffed. He then turned to Lay and nodded.

“Lay I need to talk to you about my heart,”

“Oh go ahead,” Lay said with a smile as he crossed his legs. “It seems that everyone is talking about your heart lately.”

Sungkyu’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion as Lay merely waved it off.

“Well…anyway I just thought I’d tell you,” Sungkyu started as his gaze fell on Woohyun. “Wait can you please get him out? I don’t feel comfortable talking about my condition with him in here.”

“I’m a very secretive person,” Woohyun assured with a smile. “I won’t say a word.”

Sungkyu rolled his eyes and stared at Lay. “Well anyway I’d like you to take my name off of the list.”

A deathly silence fell on them as Lay stared at Sungkyu and Woohyun got up from his chair, almost sending it falling behind him.

“What do you mean take your name off the list?!” Woohyun shouted, his voice angry. “WHAT THE ’S WRONG WITH YOU?!”

“Can’t you mind your own business?” Sungkyu asked with a small scowl.

“Okay, okay let’s be adults here.” Lay stepped in as he stared at Sungkyu and Woohyun. “Why do you want to be off the list Sungkyu?”

“Because I’ve decided that if I’m given six months then I’m going to take it and make the best out of it,”

“Bull!” Woohyun shouted as he turned to Lay and growled. “Lay don’t take him off the list!”

“Who are you to decide for me?! Lay take me off of the list!” Sungkyu shouted back.

“If you so much as touch that list Lay I will reveal to whoever’s the boss of you and tell them that you tried to take my bribe!”

“You bribed Lay?!” Sungkyu shouted in anger.

“Okay, stop! Stop!” Lay shouted as he glared at Sungkyu and Woohyun. “If you two don’t act like two grown adults, I’ll have you’re escorted out of this hospital right this instant!”

Woohyun and Sungkyu stared at each other as both of them stared at each other intensely. “Give me three hours,” Woohyun whispered as Sungkyu stared at him confusingly.

“What?”

“Give me three hours and I’ll give you a new heart,” Woohyun said as Sungkyu scoffed.

“You think that you can find me a new heart within three hours?” Sungkyu asked with a mocking tone. “I spent one year trying to find one. You must be out of your mind!”

Woohyun smirked playfully as he shrugged, his mind already made up.

“I might just be,” He said as he glanced at Lay. Lay shook his head and bit his lower lip but did nothing to stop Woohyun, making him smirk.

 “Or maybe it’s the alcohol.”


“Give me the strongest drink you’ve got,” Woohyun demanded as he stared at the surprise Jongdae.

“Slow your horses Woohyun, why would you do that?”

“Because I want to get drunk, duh.” Woohyun said as he rolled his eyes and placed his credit card on the table. “Place everything in this card, better yet. Take the card, it’s yours.”

Jongdae stared at him as he poured him a glass to drink. “Is everything alright Woohyun?”

“Yes, of course.” Woohyun said as a smile took hold of his lips. “In fact, I’m over the moon.”

“O…kay,” Jongdae nodded weirdly as he placed the glass in front of Woohyun. Woohyun took it and downed it in one shot and his faced twisted up in disgust.

“Want another one?” Jongdae asked as Woohyun shook his head.

“No, that’s okay.” Woohyun smiled as he wiped away the alcohol that lingered on his lips. “That’s just perfect.”


The darkness engulfed the bridge that linked Infinite Town to the city proper as the noise of car revving up took hold of the silent night.

A man gripped the handles of the steering wheel with a smile on his face as he placed his feet on the pedal.

“It’s the alcohol,” Woohyun muttered as he let the breaks go, lurching the car forward. Woohyun’s vision went blurry as he turned off his headlights and continued to drive blind.

“It’s the alcohol,” Woohyun repeated as he heard the car hit something and it started to tumble out of his control.

It was the alcohol.

Woohyun repeated in his head one last time,

That made me fall for him.

Before everything around him went dark and cold.


“Are you ready Kim Sungkyu?”

Sungkyu jumped from his seat and turned around with a smile. “Y-Yeah, I’m ready!”

“Good! You stand on stage in one minute!”

Sungkyu nodded as he turned back to the mirror and stared at his own reflection. He smiled and took a deep breath to calm himself down.

“You were the brightest star, weren’t you Woohyun?” Sungkyu asked as he reached up and placed a hand on his chest, his eyes blurring a bit from the tears that started to well up.

“Sungkyu, on the stage!”

“Got it!”

Sungkyu nodded to himself and took the microphone that was offered to him.

“Don’t worry, I’ll shine in your place. “ Sungkyu reassured himself as he walked to the stage, the cheers of the fans surrounding him.

“I’ll shine for both of us.”





This is the end of Woogyu yay~ Going to post up the last chapter later tonight