Feel My Soul

The Train to [the After] Life
XSYKOTICA








This isn't a coincidence, Nor is it a false love, I'm always suffering, but the reason's simple:
I want to know my purpose in Life.
(Hoping that you could find me soon) Just like that me from long ago. (Hoping that you could quickly find me)As I fight back my tears As I get lost in reality I’m searching for the next door...

“I’m a stupid man,”

Sungjong’s eyes widened a bit as he stared at Sungyeol. “We all did something stupid at one point in our life,”

“No, no you don’t get it,” Sungyeol corrected as he shook his head and stared at the ground. “I’m a stupid man, literally. I can’t read and I can’t write.”

“Not being able to read and write shouldn’t be the basis of one man’s intelligence,” Sungjong corrected as Sungyeol shook his head once again.

“Well it should be for me,” Sungyeol sighed and leaned back on his seat. He stared at the ceiling of the train as he heard the low rumble of the engine and the soft clanking of metal on metal. “I went to school but I still couldn’t read and write. I tried my best though…but, I don’t know…it just never stuck I suppose.  I…I just gave up. No use teaching an old dog new tricks.”

Sungjong said nothing as he continued to stare at Sungyeol.

“But maybe…maybe if I could have read or write…” Sungyeol whispered, his eyes tearing up. “Things would have turned out differently…”


Kim Myungsoo stared at the long line of people queuing up in front of him. A proud smile took hold of his lips as he entertained, shook hands, and even exchange numbers with his fans—this was what he was waiting for all his life, he’s book was published and it became a huge hit. Myungsoo experienced what most writers experience before they hit it big (struggling to pay rent and living on coffee alone) but that didn’t matter anymore—not when the book he had made has pretty much paid the rent for his apartment and taken him to fancy restaurants.

“I love your book!” Myungsoo smiled at the compliment and nodded as he took the book from another one of his fans hands.

“Who should I address this to?” He asked as the young man beamed with a smile.

“Kim Minseok,”

Myungsoo nodded and quickly wrote on the first page. “To Minseok, make sure to bundle up—it’s getting colder and you could get sick.”

Minseok eyes sparkled with delight as he took the book from Myungsoo’s hands, his cheeks flushing with red. “T-Thank you so much!”

Myungsoo smiled at the young boys mannerisms and nodded. “No problem.”

As the young boy bounded out of the book store with a smile, Myungsoo turned his attention towards the streets and smiled—this was his dream alright. And he couldn’t be happier.


“Make sure you meet me tomorrow alright Myungsoo? We have to talk about a sequel.”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes at his agent. “You’ve told me this a thousand times already,”

“Just reminding you,” His agent winked as Myungsoo shook his head. He slowly placed on his coat and zipped himself up with smile.

“I’ll be there,” Myungsoo confirmed as the agent nodded, satisfied.

Myungsoo walked towards the entrance of the book shop as he listed down the things he wanted to do when he got home—coffee that’s for starters, then probably a bath, and then something to eat.

“What’s it about?”

Myungsoo was just about to walk away from the book stores doors when he heard the voice. He turned around slowly and stared at the tall young man in front of him. His hair was slightly ruffled from the strong winds and his nose was slightly turning red—probably from the cold weather.

“What’s what about?”

“Your book,” Sungyeol said as he pointed to the poster hanging in front of the book stores window pane. “What’s it about?”

Myungsoo stared confusingly at the man but decided to bite back his pride—after all, just because his book was a big hit didn’t mean everyone had already read it.

“Why don’t you check it out in the book store,” Myungsoo offered kindly but the tall man shook his head, sending his hair in disarray.

“Can’t you just tell me?”

Myungsoo stared at the man with slight confusion but then…maybe a bit of anger? How could this guy ask an author of his own book to summarize his own book? Myungsoo didn’t know but that set him off—in fact, it felt like an insult.

“No,” Myungsoo stated with finality. “I won’t do that. If you want to, go into the book store and read the summary of my book for yourself.”

Myungsoo glared slightly and went on his way, going back to listing the things that he wanted to do when he gets home.


The next day, Myungsoo went out to shop for groceries after his meeting with his agent. He was running out food supplies and decided to just squeeze it in after the meeting. He had a lot of free time lately (though his agent was already hounding him for a sequel) and lately he was starting to appreciate the nonchalance of the world, the calmness in it.

Myungsoo sighed in delight when he was getting near to the book store yesterday, he was excited to see the poster of his work (maybe just to feed his ego) but when he got nearer, he was met with a different sight. The man from yesterday was sitting on the bench outside of the book store, scuffling and looking down at the ground.

“What are you doing here?” Myungsoo asked as he the young man looked up and a bright grin appeared on his face, momentarily stopping Myungsoo from his tracks.

“I’ve read the summary of your book,”

“Oh…” Myungsoo replied, the annoyance and anger disappearing. “So…what do you think?”

“I don’t get it,”

Myungsoo’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “You…don’t get it?”

“Yes,” The man nodded. “So can you tell me instead?”

Myungsoo sighed and ran a hand through his hair in annoyance. “What was your name again?”

“Sungyeol,”

“Listen Sungyeol,” Myungsoo tried as he stared into the man’s eyes. “It’s very rude to ask the author of the book to summarize their book for you, okay?”

Sungyeol tilted his head to the side in confusion. “Why?”

“Why? Because…” Because what? Because asking for the summary of his book pretty much states the fact that the reader doesn’t’ like his book? Or the fact that he couldn’t be bothered with reading the summary let alone the whole book?

“Hey, what’s your name?”

Ouch. Okay that one hurt. It was on the goddamn freakin poster beside him. It was even on the goddam book he read the summary of!

“Kim Myungsoo,” Myungsoo spat out, trying to keep the venom away from his voice. “And you Sungyeol,”

“Lee Sungyeol,” Sungyeol corrected with a smile.

Lee Sungyeol,” Myungsoo repeated with a small growl. “You are a very rude person.”

“Why?” Sungyeol asked, almost pouting. “I’m just asking questions.”

Exactly.” Myungsoo spat out as he turned his around and started to walk towards his house, trying to keep the anger from boiling over and spilling.


Myungsoo groaned in annoyance as he heard the insistent knocking on his door. He pushed himself off of the bed and started to walk towards the door with a scowl on his face.

“How many time do I need to say to you use the doorbell, the fuc—” Myungsoo stopped what he was saying and stared at the person in front of him and almost immediately the scowl on his face dropped but was instead replaced with confusion and anger.

“How did you get here Lee Sungyeol?”

Sungyeol shuffled on his feet and smiled shyly. “Did what I usually do—I asked questions.”

Myungsoo sighed and rubbed the dull headache that was threatening to override his senses. “Look if you don’t get go away I’m going to call the police and—”

Sungyeol’s eyes widened with fear. “Don’t call the police! Please! I just came here to apologize.”

Myungsoo stared at his eyes and searched for any sign of deception—and he found none.  Myungsoo sighed and leaned on the doorframe and nodded. “Go ahead then, apologize.”

Sungyeol bit his lip and looked down at his feet. “I’m…I’m really sorry for whatever mistake I’ve done.”

Myungsoo almost wanted to choke him. “Sungyeol it’s not an apology if you don’t know what you did wrong.” Myungsoo explained slowly.

“That’s because I don’t!” Sungyeol shouted, sending a small glare to Myungsoo. “I just wanted to know what your book was about!”

“Don’t you understand?” Myungsoo glared back, his voice rising in anger. “How stupid are you?!”

Sungyeol’s eyes widened in surprise and—was that a hint of betrayal Myungsoo saw? What does he have to feel betrayed about?

“Stupid,” Sungyeol repeated, his tone flat and dull. “Haven’t heard that in a while.”

Myungsoo’s eyes widened in surprise as Sungyeol took a step back, his eyes on the ground. “I won’t bother you anymore. Sorry.”

And with that, Sungyeol descended the stairs and into the streets.


It was three days since Myungsoo last saw Sungyeol. Myungsoo knew that he shouldn’t have been thinking about Sungyeol (let alone counting how many days had passed) but he felt like he just needed to be sure that what happened three days before was done and over with so Myungsoo, on a particularly free day, decided to go back to that book shop.

He was trying his best not to let the nervousness show but even then he couldn’t ignore the sweatiness of his palms or the fact that he would stop at every stall on the way to the book shop—trying to stall time.

He didn’t know why he was so nervous—heck he wasn’t even sure if Sungyeol would be there. But something about those eyes…they left an impression on him that he didn’t like. The way those eyes widened in betrayal and surprise—that left a sick feeling in his stomach.

He stared at the entrance of the book shop and sighed in relief—he wasn’t there. Myungsoo could almost feel the weight on his shoulders lift, like he the guilt that had that eaten at him was being slowly quelled into nonexistence.

Myungsoo turned his attention towards the poster on the bookshop window and frowned—it wasn’t his book anymore, surprisingly it was a book written by Kim Minseok—the same guy that had asked for his autograph.

Myungsoo cursed silently and went into the store with a huff. The moment he stepped into the shop though, he almost ran out of it. There, standing near the far corner was Sungyeol holding up a book in his hands—his book for that matter. He was squinting at the page and was placing it so close to his face he looked like he was smelling the book and not reading it.

Myungsoo approached the tall male and placed a hand on his shoulder, Sungyeol let out a squeak of surprise and turned around. He was about to complain but all protests died on his lips when he saw Myungsoo looking up at him.

“So you did read the summary,”

Sungyeol bit his lower lip and looked down. “No, I didn’t.”

“Stop lying to me!” Myungsoo shouted making Sungyeol shush him. Myungsoo ignored him and pointed at the book that was in Sungyeol’s hands.

“That’s my book.”

“I didn’t read it, okay?”

“HOW CAN YOU—”

“I CAN’T READ!”

Myungsoo’s eyes widened as he stared at the tall giant. His mind, his thoughts, and even his anger all came to a loud screeching halt.

“I can’t read,” Sungyeol repeated with a blush on his face, embarrassed that he had to share such information. “Or write. That’s why I wanted you to tell me what you wrote.”

Myungsoo felt like someone just forced him to drink acid.

“Oh my God…” Myungsoo whispered as all the horrible things he said replayed in his head. “Oh my God. I’m so sorry. I…damn…I’m horrible.”

Sungyeol smiled at him and shook his head. “Nah, I should have said something.” Sungyeol shrugged and placed Myungsoo’s book back into the shelf. “Sorry.”

“No, don’t apologize,” Myungsoo said, biting his lower lip. “Let me treat you, coffee perhaps? As an apology. Really.”

Sungyeol stared at Myungsoo and contemplated on the idea of coffee and smiled. “Sure, I love coffee.”


“Sorry, I’m really sorry.”

Sungyeol chuckled as he shook his head. “You can stop now Myungsoo, you’re already forgiven.”

“I know, I know. It’s just…damn…” Myungsoo cursed as he held the steaming hot coffee in his hands. Myungsoo knew that a cup of coffee wasn’t going to be enough of an apology but Myungsoo felt horrible and Sungyeol saw it too. Sungyeol didn’t want him to feel bad (he really didn’t), he just wasn’t really that comfortable giving out that information so easily—not because he felt ashamed, he just felt that it was not something he should flaunt around.

“But I do really want to know what you wrote about,” Sungyeol said, a smile on his lips. “I’ve been trying to read your book this past three days.”

“You have?” Myungsoo asked in surprise, the guilt piling up even more.

“Yeah, I like the cover.” Sungyeol nodded and smiled. “It’s pretty.”

Myungsoo sighed and bit his lips. “Well…it’s not a happy story if that’s what you’re expecting.”

“It’s not?” Sungyeol asked as Myungsoo shook his head no. “Well then what is it about?”

Myungsoo his lips nervously. He had never summarize his book before because all he ever did when people asked was to tell them ‘Just go read it’ but now, Lord knows he couldn’t do that. He looked up at Sungyeol and his heart ached. Sungyeol was patiently waiting for Myungsoo to start and Myungsoo knew that the least he could do was tell him what his book was about.

“Well…it’s about a soldier.” Myungsoo started, testing out his storytelling skills. “He goes to war…a war so long that it took him away from his family for many years. The war ended recently and he comes back home…only to find out that everyone forgot about him.”

“What?!” Sungyeol shouted, surprising Myungsoo. “But why?!”

“W-Well…” Myungsoo continued, amused at reaction of the other male. “The reason was because of a virus that he carried from the war, a virus that coursed through his system. If he were to touch a person, the memories of the person about him will…just vanish,”

“But that can’t happen…can it?” Sungyeol asked as Myungsoo smiled.

“No, not in our lifetime.”

Sungyeol breathed a sigh of relief and nodded. “I knew it was a good story.”

Myungsoo slightly blushed and smiled shyly. “Thank you.”

“But what happened in the end? Did their memories of him come back?”

Myungsoo shook his head. “No,”

“Why not?” Sungyeol pouted and Myungsoo smiled.

“Because when memories are gone, they can’t be retrieved. No matter how hard you try.”

Sungyeol nodded and leaned back in his chair. “That’s true…I guess the only way to do so is try to make newer and better memories right?”

Myungsoo’s eye widened. He never thought of that. Recently, his agent had been constantly hounding him to create a sequel but the problem was that there was no sequel. When Myungsoo wrote the book he was fully expecting it to end there—the soldier living in a town where people didn’t know him. But now…now Sungyeol had opened up a sequel—a sequel where the soldier could strive hard to create newer and better memories with the people he loved.

“Yeah…” Myungsoo smiled and silently thanked Sungyeol in his head. “He could do that too.”

“Gah…that bridge is going to give out anytime soon I tell you!”

Myungsoo and Sungyeol turned and stared at two men coming into the small shop. The two shouted out profanities and complained loudly as they made their way to their seat.

“Hmm…I wonder what bridge they were talking about…” Sungyeol mused as Myungsoo chugged down the last of his coffee.

“Probably the Infinity Bridge,” Myungsoo surmised, knowing that the bridge was older than Jesus himself. “I should be careful too since I sometimes use it as a shortcut. It’d be dangerous to fall into the waters.”

“That’s true,” Sungyeol nodded as he too finished his coffee. “A man drowned there last year.”

Myungsoo nodded as he stood up and Sungyeol followed him. They both placed on their coats as they stepped out of the shop.

“By the way, what’s the title of your book?”

Myungsoo turned to Sungyeol and smiled lightly. Myungsoo didn’t know why but just the thought of the book sent bittersweet feelings coursing through him. He almost felt as if he somehow knew something—but the feeling quickly passed and he just merely shrugged.

“The Touch of a Soldier.”


“Hey, Myungsoo how do you read this one?”

“Family, it’s read as family.”

Sungyeol stared at the words that were scrawled on the paper. He smiled brightly and nodded, he then turned to Myungsoo who was sitting in front of him sipping coffee.

“Thanks for helping me out Myungsoo,” Sungyeol said, a shy smile on his face. “You don’t have to you know…”

“I know,” Myungsoo nodded and smiled. “I just want to that’s all.”

“Oh~ How about this? How does this sound?” Sungyeol pushed the piece of paper towards Myungsoo. Myungsoo stared at the paper and his eyes widened as he tried to push down the blush that was threatening to take hold of his cheeks.

“Well? What is it?”

Myungsoo his lips nervously. “I-I Lo-love you.”

Sungyeol tilted his head to the side. “I-I Lo-love you? What’s that?”

Myungsoo cleared his throat and tried to be as calm as he possibly could. “I love you. It’s pronounced I love you, Sungyeol.” Myungsoo instantly placed his hand on his mouth as he silently cursed. He didn’t mean to add Sungyeol’s name on the last part. Honest.

“Hmm…I like the way ‘love’ looks. It’s pretty,” Sungyeol nodded and took a sheet of paper as he tried to copy down the words on the paper.

“Yeah,” Myungsoo nodded as his eyes latched on Sungyeol’s face. He could hear the thump, thump of his heart against his chest and knew that he was far gone. “It’s really pretty.”


“I’m late!” Myungsoo shouted as he tried to locate he’s belongings. He had another book singing event but he stayed up late last night because he wanted to plot out the sequel of the book, so here he was now—rushing to get things done.

Myungsoo shoved everything he knew he needed into his bag and tried to recheck if everything was in place. When he deemed his stuff good, he quickly ran to the door and yanked it open—surprising a certain tall giant.

“Myungsoo!”

“Sungyeol!”

They both shouted as a grin broke out on Sungyeol’s face. “Myungsoo, I have something to give you—”

“Can you give it to me later? I’m running really late, my agent’s going to kill me.”

Sungyeol frowned almost as if he was a balloon slowly deflating. “Oh…okay. Can I come in though?”

“Yeah, sure of course,” Myungsoo nodded as he fished for his keys and placed it in Sungyeol’s palm. “Remember to lock the door when you leave okay? Bye!” Myungsoo shouted as he hurriedly ran down the road without even looking back.


Myungsoo sighed tiredly as he fished for the extra keys to his house. He had a long and tiring day but he was glad though. The line for his book signing was long and now he could confidently say to his fans that yes, there was going to be sequel.

Myungsoo smiled happily as he pushed the door open and noticed the lights off. He frowned at the sight but then he immediately scoffed at his own emotions. Was he really expecting Sungyeol to stay all day, waiting for him?

Myungsoo sighed and dropped his bag near the door. He went into the living room and stared out of the window and frowned. Myungsoo’s house was a bit elevated than the other housed so from that vantage point, he could always see Infinity Bridge. Though from his place, it looked small but nevertheless he could see it—now, it was gone. Myungsoo cursed and shook his head.

“The bridge finally gave out huh?”

The moment Myungsoo said those words, he paused as a thought passed through his head. He bit his lips and shook his head. “No, he wouldn’t pass through the bridge. He just wouldn’t. Not today.”

But Myungsoo knew better. Sungyeol always liked using that bridge because it was a good shortcut to his home. Myungsoo bit his lips as fear started to grip his heart. “Damn, damn, damn…” He repeated over and over again as he ran out of the door.

He was tired as hell but the adrenaline pumping through his system was more than enough to hasten his speed towards the direction of the bridge.

“Please let me be wrong. God, please…please…” Myungsoo muttered as he panted and huffed. The view of the river got closer and Myungsoo’s heart grew heavier. He stopped in front of the river as the sound of the strong current filled the silence of the atmosphere. Myungsoo looked around the river, sheens of sweat trailing down the side of his face.

And then he saw it.

There, just behind the bushes near the bank of the river.

“No, no, no, God no, please.” Myungsoo muttered as tears started to spill out of his eyes. He approached the body and shook his head. He stared at the lifeless body, facing down and knelt in front of him. “NO! NO! NO!”

Myungsoo shouted as he took hold of the body’s cold form and cradled it in his arms. “N-No…Sungyeol, no.” He whispered as he stared into the pale face and blue lips of Sungyeol. Myungsoo couldn’t stop the tears that fell from his eyes as he softly caressed Sungyeol’s cheeks. He could feel his skin prickle with the cold water dripping onto him, he could feel the rigor mortis slowly starting to set in, and he could feel the hot tears pooling out of his eyes—but Myungsoo didn’t care. He just wanted to cry and cry until the pain would stop but he knew that that was just wishful thinking.

Under the setting sun of the day.  

Two figures sat near the river as the rush of water,

Drowned the screams of one,

And took away the life of the other.


“H-Hi!” Myungsoo looked up from his seat and smiled at the boy in front of him. The young boy fidgeted nervously as he hugged the book close to his chest. Myungsoo held out his hand as the boy excitedly placed the book in his hands. “Who should I make it out to?”

“D-Do Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo said as he beamed at Myungsoo. Myungsoo nodded and wrote down his name and a small message. “C-Can I ask a question?”

Myungsoo looked up and smiled. “Sure,”

“On the dedication page…it’s a bit weird…”

Myungsoo tilted his head to the side. “What do you mean weird?”

“Well see,” Kyungsoo got his book and flipped it to the first page. He turned the book around and pointed to it. “See? It’s…a bit odd. I mean the handwriting is…not that good.”

Myungsoo smiled sadly as he reached out and closed the book. He smiled up at Kyungsoo and winked. “That’s my secret, sorry.”

“I understand,” Kyungsoo smiled, satisfied that he got his book signed and immediately went out of the book shop, grinning and almost skipping.

Myungsoo bit his lower lip as he turned his attention to his book piled up to the left of the table near the edge. He took one and flipped open to the dedications page and stared at the words on it as his eyes started to water.

“Ah, excuse me?”

Myungsoo snapped out of his trance and stared up at the person in front of him, beaming and holding out his book. Myungsoo nodded and took the book.

He gently placed the copy to his side as he smiled and talked to the person in front of him.

The rays of the sun filtered into the small window shining on the book that Myungsoo placed on the side and if anyone would have paid attention to the words, they would have sworn that the words on the dedication page shined and twinkled under the beautiful rays of the sun.

1458649_628998653806180_654102725_n.jpg

 

 

 

 






Myungyeol done! How did you guys like it? Saw the connection to THE MOON SPIRIT? No? Haha, it's okay :3 It was not meant to be obvious anyway.

I'm really sorry for my crappy handwriting (it's supposed to be crappy) since I wrote it on paint and used my left non-dominant hand ^^;

Other than that I hope you enjoyed it :D