Chapter 6

Forgotten Idols

 

     The night was cold, and nothing but frigid air blew in throught the broken glass window of the now vacant restaurant.

     D.O paced around the room, muttering assurance to himself.

     "You're going to be okay...you're going to be okay." Suho said, sorrow b in his eyes as he stared at the younger boy. 

     Baekhyun sat limply in a booth across from Suho, the wound on his arm gleamed, and blood trickled down it like thick, hot tears, "That's what you said to Manager Yongmin, remember?" he said through labored breath, "And look how that turned out."

__________________________

*Flashback*

 

     Suho and Baekhyun carried the drooping body of their manager down the long, carpeted hallway of his apartement complex. D.O brought up the rear, hauling three boxes of documents he took from the car. He tried to avoid the trail of blood that rolled off of their manager's body, and the building's residents that ran in the opposite direction screaming something about "zombies".

     "Where are your keys?" Suho asked when they reached the door.

     "Left pants pocket," the manager breathed. Baekhyun's legs were beginning to give out underneath him, but he fished around in the pocket and handed the keys to Suho to unlock the door.

     They burst into the apartement and carried the manager to the sofa, D.O dropping the boxes out front. 

    "Kyungsoo, get him a wet towel!" Suho yelled as he and Baekhyun tried to lay the manager across the sofa. He cried out in pain.

    D.O ran to the kitchen and grabbed a towel from the drawer and wet it with cold water under the faucet. He ran back to the group and laid the towel across the manager's burning forehead. Everyone eyed the festering bitemark on his shoulder.

    "How could this happen...?" Kyungsoo wondered aloud.

    When they were leaving the SM building, they crossed paths with a herd of crazed people walking through the streets. Their manager had stopped the car and gotten out to ask a passerby what was going on, only to get a chunk ripped out of his shoulder. As he stood there screaming, the boys rushed out of the car, pushed the man away, and walked as fast as they could to the apartement complex. He would have writhed on the ground in pain if it wasn't for the boys carrying his weight.

    The manager continued to cry out then, but each time it would get weaker and weaker.

    "You're going to be okay, Manager. You're going to be okay." Suho said. He wasn't sure if he was comforting himself or his manager anymore, but he still repeated the phrase. Yongmin continued to gape at the pale-faced leader.

 

    After about an hour, his weak cries had withered into nothingness and the apartement was silent. The three boys sat huddled in the corner of the room.

   "Baekhyun, would you mind wetting his towel for me? He still might have a fever." Kyungsoo asked. Without a word, Baekhyun got up and walked over to the stilled body of his manager to remove the dry towel. As he went to the kitchen, he missed the twitch of the manager's fingers. When Baekhyun the water and wet the towel, he heard the others calling him back from the next room

   "He woke up again!" they said. Forgetting to turn off the faucet, he rushed back to his manager's side. He was staring back at Baekhyun with blank, lost eyes.

     Baekhyun folded the towel and reached down to place it on his head, "You feeling better now? I think the crazy crowd has passed, so maybe we can try to take you to the hospital-" with surprising speed for someone so weak, the manager reached up and took a firm hold onto Baekhyun's arm. He brought it to his mouth and with his bare teeth, took a bite out of Baekhyun's flesh.

    It was now Baekhyun's turn to cry out in pain.

    "Baekhyun!"

    "Manager Yongmin!"

    Suho and D.O screamed as they scuffled off of the floor. Their manager had backed Baekhyun into a bookshelf and into a stool, and one after the other they crashed onto the floor. D.O had to pull the manager off of the singer, and Baekhyun looked to see that a piece of his arm had been taken with him. 

    The three boys ran to the door, Baekhyun holding his arm tightly to his chest. Suho quickly closed the door behind them and heard desperate clawing on the other side.

____________________________________

 

    "It's going on seven hours now and nothing has happened." D.O said.

    "Nothing's going to happen, Kyungsoo. Everything is going to be okay." said Suho.

    "You can stop saying that Junmyeon. We both know its a lie." Baekhyun said, his eyelids fluttering.

    "Hey, don't go to sleep. That's what Manager Yongmin did and then he woke up like..."

    "Like a monster? Yeah, I saw it, Kyungsoo." Baekhyun said in a near whisper, "I can feel my body changing. My head keeps getting hotter. I feel stiff and uncordinated...like Junmyeon when he's dancing." he said with an airy chuckle.

    "This is no time for jokes, Baekhyun!" Suho said, frustrated with the boy's relaxed attitude, "Now, just stay awake." Baekhyun began to hum a song in response.

    "Hey, what are we going to do if he turns into one of them?" D.O whispered, eyeing a corpse that walked past the window.

     Suho kneeled down and reality hit him all at once, "The guys...they have no idea that we're here. They're still at the SM building waiting for us...we never went back for them..."

     "We're only a few blocks away, once we can get out of here, we can go and find them.

    During their conversation, Baekhyun's humming had stopped and his body had stilled.

    "Baekhyun? Baekhyun!?" Suho screamed as he ran over to the silent boy, "Oh, no. No! No! No! No!" he harshly shook his shoulders, "Wake up! You're not dead, Baekhyun! NO! NO!" Suho began to blubber, all of the sadness that was welled up inside came pouring out.

     D.O stood on the side in disbelief, watching as his leader tried to revive his band-mate, "Junmyeon, quiet down. G-get back." he warned, but Suho continued to sob and scream at the lifeless body.

     "Don't do this Baekhyun! Think about your family, you friends! We have to go back for the guys!"

     It hurt D.O's heart just to watch his friend scream at a person who wouldn't respond. He was gone, "Kim Junmyeon, back away, he's going to wake up soon!" the boy didn't listen, and D.O had to yank him by the arm to get him back. Before Suho could be pulled a safe distance away, his other arm was grabbed roughly in the opposite direction. He only had time to meet the cold, familair eyes of his attacker before a set of teeth sank into his neck.

     D.O was rooted to his spot as he took in the nightmarish scene in front of him. Baekhyun was literally feasting away on Suho throat, and all he could do was watch as he completely lost his grip on Suho's arm as he fell completely on top of Baekhyun in the booth.

     Suho's screams were enough to drive any man mad, and D.O backed into the table across from them, plates and glasses crashed to the floor, adding another instrument to the hair-raising orchestra. His fingers brushed against a steak knife on the table and a disturbing thought crossed his mind. In all of the zombie movies he had seen, an injury to the head of some sort was always enough to stop them. He always wondered if it was accurate; it was now or never.

    Without hesitation, he ran erratically towards the entangled figures, knife in hand. 

     "STOP! STOP IT!!" he jabbed the utensil wildly over Baekhyun's thrashing body, only once did it hit his head, but that one time was enough.To his surprise, Baekhyun fell motionless once again, but the one difference was Suho's blood that covered his entire face.

     D.O dragged he leader from the seat and onto the floor, his face pleading. He couldn't speak, but his eyes said it all. His mouth opened and closed desperately as he tried to gasp for air.

     D.O had reached his breaking point, "I told you, Junmyeon! I told you..." his words trailed off and were replaced by the tears that cascaded down his red cheeks. Suho kept a tight grip onto D.O's shirt, knuckles white and bloody.

    The singer couldn't take it any longer. To put an end to his unbearable misery, before Suho could try to force another pained breath, blood suddenly blood spurted from his lips onto the hardwood floor as D.O pulled a  knife from his head. D.O wiped his hands over Suho's eyes, closing them. He couldn't bare looking at them anymore.

     "You never l-listened to m-me. S-see what happened?!" D.O screamed as he cried into Suho's chest. But his mourning for his lost friends was cut short when the sound of several footsteps outside of the door could be heard.

     He looked through the broken glass window to see many soulless, hungry eyes boring into his own.

     D.O. sat up, crawled to the nearest wall, and sobbed even louder in the shadows as he mourned his own life. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________