Chapter 23

Forgotten Idols

      Like surgeons in the ER, they rushed to work.

      Besides TOP and Hana, Amber, Chanyeol, and Kai volunteered to help, the five of them beginning to do what they could. They buzzed around Sehun, running from different sides of the bed, checking his bandages and his vitals. His pulse was weak, but it was still there. In this storm, the rest of the group stood by, watching them with worried expressions.

      “We need space you guys. Sorry but if you’re not helping then you need to leave,” Amber said as she shooed Eunhyuk, Donghae, Shin and IU out into the hallway, “Again, sorry,” she said before closing the door.

      Once in the hallway, Shin and IU sunk to the floor. Trying not to be too obvious, Shin opted to give the girl a pat on the shoulder as she sighed in concern. If looks could kill, Shin would have been obliterated. Eunhyuk shot daggers towards the two and his fist shook slightly.

      “See? This is exactly what I was telling you about earlier,” he whispered to Donghae, who was leaning against the wall with a far away expression.

      The singer turned to his roommate, “What are you talking about?”

      Eunhyuk tried to refresh his memory about their supposed walkie-talkie conversation from that day, but Donghae only grew more confused.

      Inside the room, Amber and TOP were gathered around a desk on the opposite side of the bedroom. The man dumped the contents of his backpack on the desk as needles and bottles clattered loudly. The two mused over the drugs, realizing they had no clue what to do with any of it.

      “Wait,” Amber said as she picked up a bottle of imipenem/cilastatin. It was a milky white substance that sploshed around the bottle as she held it, “I fell on a rusty nail in high school once during a skateboarding accident, went straight through my hand. I remember the doctor prescribing me some antibiotics for the infection I got, and from what I can remember this is what he gave me.”

     “Are you sure?” TOP asked. Considering how just a second ago, neither of them had an inkling of a clue where to start, this was great information.

     “Like 90%”, she said honestly.

      This was the best lead either of them had, so they decided to go with it. They took a needle from the desk and dipped it into the liquid, filling it up with the dosage recommended on the bottle.

      On the other side of the room, Kai and Chanyeol were busy holding Sehun’s leg out straight as Hana did her job. She took out the knife from her belt, and began to cut away at his pants. She cut the fabric directly above the wound and pulled it away so that the injury was directly exposed to them. His leg was abnormally white and pale. Even through the bandages, she could see that the wound was bigger than what she had originally thought. The bandages were doing very little, as the blood continued to seep out, dripping down from his raised leg and onto the white comforter below.

       They had to keep trying.

      “Keep holding his leg,” Hana instructed as she reached over and grabbed the roll of gauze. She tried to remember how TOP had done it earlier, or how he had tended to her shoulder so many times before. She had never done it herself, but this was as good a time as any to give it a go. She began to wrap the bandage around his thigh as tight as she could manage, keeping pressure on the wound as she did.

      Kai looked down at his own hands and realized that they were covered in the slick crimson stuff as well. His best friend’s blood.

    His band member.

    His roommate.

     He began to shake, and Chanyeol looked over at him in concern, “Hey, man. Are you okay?” he continued to look forward and his bottom lip began to tremble, “Jongin!” he yelled, shaking him with his free hand.

     “I can’t do this!” he weeped, his head hanging low.

      Amber walked over to the bed and put a hand on Kai’s shoulder, telling him to get up. He rose from his spot on the bed, and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders as she lead him out the door and into the hallway, closing the door behind them. The two walked out to join the other four and sat on the floor. Though he was taller, he put his head in the crook of her neck and wept as she continued to rub his shoulders.

     “Chanyeol, are you okay holding him up by yourself?” Hana asked.

      “Yeah, I’m fine,” he replied as she continued to wrap his leg. She was almost out of gauze, but luckily the bleeding was under control for the first time all day.

       TOP came up from behind them and poked the needle of antibiotics in a spot directly above the wound. They watched as the milky liquid slowly disappeared into his body. TOP retracted the needle and they all stood by in silence, just looking at the boy in his unconscious state.

       TOP sighed and walked into the other room. He laid down on the sofa and put a pillow over his head. Chanyeol pulled up a chair from the desk and took a seat beside the bed. He put his hands together in front of his face as if in prayer and closed his eyes. Hana noticed his shoulders shake slightly.

      She looked between the two scenes from her spot in the doorway. Her eyes wandered over to Sehun and suddenly her mind flooded with a memory.

 

***

 

        Hana huffed in exasperation as she walked to the attic, book in hand. Her room had been turned into a social hub of sorts, as Amber and a few of the guys were busy playing with a deck of cards they had found earlier in the week. She needed peace and quiet, and she sure as hell wasn’t going to find it in a room full of young adults bickering over whether someone had cheated or not.

       She couldn’t believe that she had been essentially kicked out of her own room at two o’clock inthe morning.

       Out of all the rooms in this house, why mine? She wondered as she opened the inconspicuous door and mounted the narrow staircase.

       The room was dark as expected, nearly pitch black if it weren’t for the moonlight flooding in from the open windows and skylight. She walked past the many games and towards the loft at the far end of the room. She threw the book up at the top to free her hands before climbing the ladder. Once she pulled herself up and took a seat, she soon realized that she wasn’t the only one occupying the space.

       A pair of wide eyes looked back at her in the darkness. He had been sleeping peacefully a few moments before, but felt motion and was awakened by the sight of Hana joining him.

      Sehun yelped, scurrying past her on his way to the ladder, “I’m sorry, I’ll get out of your way,” he murmured.

      Before he could reach it, Hana stopped him, “What’s your problem?” she asked.

       Fear was evident in his face as he began to climb down, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

      She was tired of the constant dismissal, the incessant horror she saw in his eyes whenever she was around. She couldn’t remember the last time she had spoken to the boy in fact, if ever, after living under the same roof for nearly two months. The frustration and denial she had built up over the past week with Shin was boiling within her, and without meaning to, she let it out.

      “Dammit, Sehun! Talk to me!” she exploded.

      He flinched and immediately went back to his spot in the loft, flattening his back against the wall so that he was as far away from her as possible, “Look, i-if this is about the pool thing, I’ll apologize again if you want-”

     “No,” she interrupted, “this isn’t about the pool thing,” she squinted, opting to forget that moment all together, “Why are you so scared of me, Sehun?” she asked with a tinge of hurt in her voice that he had never heard before.

     “Isn’t it obvious? You’re scary.”

      She had heard it many times before, but asked anyways, “How?”

    “Your demeanor,” he said in a low voice, “Everything about you just screams ‘stay away from me or else’...so I do.”

     Hana was quiet for a while, letting his words sink in. She had heard Shin tell her the same thing since she had known him, but hearing it from someone else just made it all the more real.

     Dammit, Shin.

     “I don’t mean to be scary, okay? Or abrasive, or rude, or unapproachable,” she finally said, quoting the many words she had heard herself described as over the years, “It's just the way I am...I can’t really help that.”

    “You ever try being nice?” he asked with a hint of sarcasm.

     She shot him daggers and he sunk back into the wall.

     “Nice isn’t really my thing...it doesn’t come that easy,” she said. Sehun raised his eyebrows in mock surprise, “I bet our little bathroom incident earlier has something to do with you staying away from me too, huh?”

     He froze and rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, “Oh yeah...that, too,” he said, “I’m sorry about that by the way...I don’t want you to think that I’m some type of ert that was trying to watch you shower or something.”

      Hana scoffed, “The thought did cross my mind,” he sighed, looking everywhere else but at her, “So why are you up here?” she asked after a few minutes of awkward silence.

      “I was trying to get some sleep in my room, but Chanyeol came in to ask Jongin something and then the two wouldn’t stop talking, so I thought this was the next best place...you?”

      “It sounds like they’re taking turns kicking people out of their rooms. They’re in mine now playing cards with Amber. I was trying to read but I couldn’t concentrate, so I came up here.”

      “I guess we had the same idea then,” he chuckled.

      Hana noticed that when he talked to her, it was in the same way he did with Eunhyuk, Amber, and the rest of the older people in the house. She had never been spoken to with honorifics before, so hearing it from him was strange, especially since she knew he was young. It then occurred to her that it probably came more from a place of fear instead of respect.

     “Sehun, when’s your birthday?” she asked out of the blue.

      “April 12th, 1994. I’ll be turning 20 this year,” he said proudly.

      Hana couldn’t believe her ears, “You’re lying,” she said. It sounded a bit accusing, and Sehun reeled back again, “That’s my birthday too. Year and everything.”

      He sat up straight and grinned from ear to ear, “Seriously?! Sorry, I’ve just never met anyone with my birthday before,” he said, obviously excited.

      “Me neither,” she chuckled in spite of herself.

      “Wow, this is so cool.”

      “I guess this means you can drop the honorifics now since we’re literally the same age. It's kind of weird to me,” she admitted.

      This is probably how women in their mid-twenties feel when teenagers call them ma’am, she thought

      “Okay, I’ll speak comfortably from now on,” he said with a smile.

      The presence of his smile defrosted any tension that had been there before. Suddenly, they had forgotten all about the fear.

      Sehun had been staring out the window for a while without a word, and Hana had reached over for her book and was reading contently due to the newfound positivity in the room.

      “Hey,” Sehun said, “I’ve been keeping track of the days with a calendar in my room. If I’m right, my-I mean our birthday should be here within the next couple weeks. We should get Henry to bake us a cake! We probably have enough in the kitchen to make one already, but if we don’t we can always do a run,” he said, “I mean, since we’re the youngest and it’s both of our birthdays it's only fair that we have one...to make things normal again.”

      Hana was admittedly touched. The side of her lips raised in a small smile, “Yeah...normal sounds good.”

 

***

 

 

      She stood over the sofa, “Are you okay?” she whispered to the pillow.

      A hand came up and moved it, exposing a pair of deep, tired eyes and a pitiful grin, “Yeah, I’m just exhausted,” TOP said, “I don’t know what will happen to this group is we lose this boy. Another death would shoot morale down even lower than it has been, and I’m not sure we can take that.”

     “We did all we could. Whatever happens isn’t in our control, it never was,”

     “You’re right,” TOP replied and exhaled deeply, “Is Chanyeol still here?”

     “Yeah, he’s sitting by the bed now.”

      “I should get up and check Sehun’s vitals again,” he said, straining to raise himself up from the sofa.

     Hana stuck her hands out, motioning for him to stay where he was, “No, I’ll do it. You should be tired, get some rest. I’ll let you know if anything’s wrong.”

     His eyes shined with gratitude, “Thank you so much.”

     TOP laid back down and put the pillow over his head. Hana walked back into the bedroom. Seeing Chanyeol look at Sehun from his seat felt as if she had intruded in a very private moment. She would have walked back out if she weren’t reminded of the job she had to do.

     “Just checking his vitals,” she murmured almost inaudibly, and Chanyeol nodded.

     She picked Sehun’s limp arm up from his side as she had done earlier in the day to check for a pulse. She placed her second and third finger along the bony part of his inner wrist and kept them there for a couple seconds. Her eyebrows knit together, wondering if she had done something wrong. She tried again, waiting even longer...same thing.

      She immediately moved to his chest. She placed an ear on his left side, quietly hoping that there would be a difference, but it was still the same. She placed a hand inches away from his nose, praying at this point to feel something, a slight tickling breath, but still it was the same. She could feel eyes on her, and though she tried not to look panicked, it still showed.

    “Is everything okay?” Chanyeol asked from behind her.

     “I-I...um….” was all she could get out.

     She reached clumsily into her backpack and pulled out her flashlight. She immediately pulled up Sehun’s eyelids and shined the light in his face. She probably had the light there for longer than necessary, but she was simply waiting to see if his pupils reacted to the light. Though, after a few moments, it registered that this attempt was just like the others.

     She felt nothing.

     She saw nothing.

      All signs of life….nothing.

     Hana backed away slowly, sure she was shaking at this point.

     “Hana, what’s wrong-?”

     “Seunghyun!” Hana screeched.

     Seconds later, the man came flying into the room, standing in the doorway as his chest rose rapidly. He looked between Hana’s horrified expression, Chanyeol’s worry, and Sehun’s motionless body on the bed and immediately knew.

     “No,” he breathed before running to the bed.

      He checked the boy’s vitals just as Hana did, but in a much more hurried and alarmed fashion. When he saw no signs of a pulse or breathing, he tilted Sehun’s head back and began to perform CPR.

     “Come on, Sehun! Come on, Sehun!” he repeated as he pushed down on his chest.

      Chanyeol was standing now. He had backed against the wall and was looking at the scene with an unreadable expression. Hana just stared numbly as TOP continued to breathe air into the boy’s mouth, watching as his chest rose and fall as he did. TOP pushed down on his chest for what felt like several minutes, saying words of encouragement before he stopped.

      Sehun laid there, pale as ever and still. His lips were blue and his hair stuck to his sweat covered forehead. It was such a saddening, grotesque sight, viewing someone as energetic and sassy as him like this in his finale stage. Hana had to look at her feet, and in her peripheral she saw Chanyeol slide to the floor with his knees drawn to his chest.

      Not a word was spoken when TOP stood up. His expression was stony, and he looked forward as he walked out of the room. He opened the door and walked into the hallway, greeted with many anxious faces looking up at him in expectation. He pressed his lips together in a tight line and shook his head slowly before looking at the ground.

     Everyone burst into a fit of tears, holding each other tight before getting up and walking into the room past him. They stumbled into the bedroom, Kai and Amber getting on their knees as they kneeled on the side of the bed. Donghae stood against the doorway with his arms crossed, a single tear rolled down his cheek. Eunhyuk sat in Chanyeol’s unoccupied chair, a hand covering his face. IU and Shin sat beside Chanyeol on the floor.

     Hana looked on at the mourners, feeling oddly out of place. If she could make a tear fall, this was the time to do it. Yet, she couldn’t.

      She saw Seunghyun stand by the hotel room door and close it behind him, disappearing into the hotel.

_____________________________________

 

       She couldn’t take the mourning.

      Hana laid in the spot on the sofa TOP had occupied hours earlier, pillow over her head to drown out the cries.  Though, it didn’t help much, and the desperate wails, sniffles, and screaming outbursts still reached her ears.

      Don’t get her wrong, her spirit ached for the loss of life, but she couldn’t show it in that way. She would rather pay her respects to the boy by being alone with her thoughts of him, instead of crying over his dead body in the next room.

      Maybe I am a heartless , she thought.

     Perhaps her peers were right. She never did do well with emotions.

     After the the hundredth sob that night, the hotel room suddenly felt constricting. She jumped up from the couch and threw her backpack over her shoulder. She opened the hotel room door and silently closed it behind her, leaving her alone in the hallway. It was quiet, much different from what was happening inside. The sun had gone down at this point, leaving the entire first floor dark and eery as she walked around.

      She felt like she was in a Scooby Doo episode, looking for clues and waiting for the monster to make his appearance. Coincidentally, she heard groaning coming from behind her. She flashed her light in its direction, seeing that she was face to face with a monster in its own right. The zombie reached out to her, and Hana pushed it against a wall before shoving her knife through its brain. As it sunk to the ground, she noticed that it’s hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail and wearing a uniform with the name of the hotel on the lapel. They had probably been a front desk worker of some sort before the apocalypse.

      Hana continued on, not really knowing where she was going, but anywhere was better than a room full of tearful mourners when she herself couldn’t make herself cry.

      She circled the entire first floor and had run across a few living nightmares along the way, but handled them all the same. She saw a door leading to a stairwell, and opened it cautiously in her attempt to explore. When she shined her light into the spot, she saw a few zombies draped lifelessly across the stairs. As she shined her light up, she saw even more, making it seem as if they were breadcrumbs leading to some distant treasure.  Surely enough, at the top of the landing sat TOP.

     “It’s only me,” he said when the light shined on him. His voice was gruffer than usual, and he sat there with a look in his eyes that was undeniably pain.

      Yet again, Hana felt like she had walked into something private, “Oh, I’ll just leave you alone then,” she said as she began to back out of the stairwell.

      “No,” he said suddenly, “Please stay.”

      Though she was caught off guard by the sudden request, she complied. She slowly stepped over the bodies as she climbed the steps towards him. She wordlessly took a seat by his side, holding her flashlight in her lap as the only source of light in the space.

     Before it could get too awkward, Hana spoke up.

     “We did all we could,” she said for the second time that day, “It wasn’t in our control...it never was.”

     “It still hurts,” he said simply.

      Hana sighed, “I know.”

     “He bled to death, Hana. The only reason it was so easy to wrap his leg up after a while is because there was no more blood left to leave his body. How terrible is that? Especially when there’s flesh-eating monsters everywhere, how can you just die like that?”

      “He didn’t suffer long. He went unconscious after a few seconds...he didn’t feel much pain. If there’s a way to go I’d want it to be like that, instead of being torn apart by a set of teeth.”

     “You’re right,” he nodded, “He was just so...young. He was the youngest in the group, right?”

      “Kind of,” she said, “We were the same age...we had the same birthday...even down to the year,” she noticed that she was using past tense, and her chest suddenly tightened.

      “Really?” TOP said, “That’s a coincidence.”

      “Yeah.”

      “I can’t help but feel like I could have saved him, you know?”

     “And I can’t help but feel like we have this conversation a lot,” Hana said, “Once again, Seunghyun, it wasn’t your fault. You couldn’t save him. No one could. We lost that ability as soon as he fell on that spike. Dammit, stop blaming yourself. It’s getting old now. It’s not going to make you feel any better and it sure as hell isn’t going to bring Sehun back.”

      It was silent in the stairwell as her words hung in the air, and Hana wondered if she had been too harsh yet again.

     TOP scoffed, “Wow, you’d make one hell of a therapist.”

    Even at that, Hana had to laugh. The two sat there, chuckling beyond reason for what felt like ages. All of the sorrow that had been there moments before suddenly slipped away.

     “Why are you even here? Being anti-social as usual?”

     “I couldn’t handle all the crying,” she replied, “You?”

    The flashlight she held illuminated his face. She had never been this close to him. As she looked him over, she noticed stubble growing along his chin and jawline.

    “Same actually. I just had to get my thoughts together, and I couldn’t in that room. I never was one for mourning normally. I guess we’re the same in that way.”

     Sameness.

     In all of her years, Hana had never known anyone to compare themself to her, only contrast. When she thought about it, they were alike in more ways than one. Something about this was oddly comforting.

      Before long, their eyes began to droop as the pressure and stress of the day took its toll on them. TOP’s head was resting against the wall and his eyes were steadily closing shut. Hana was dozing off, head jerking forward when she caught herself falling to the temptation of sleep. At some point in the night, her flashlight ran out of battery and shut off completely, enveloping the stairwell in darkness. Though at that time, it ceased to matter to her. When the light stopped shining Hana fell to sleep, letting the darkness and her tired mind take over.

 

 

 

        TOP awakened with a start. He had planned to go and find a room to sleep in that night but had somehow fallen asleep in the stairwell before that could happen. He was disoriented. The entire space was pitch-black, and he couldn’t see an inch in front of his own face. He had no idea what time it was, as there were no windows to the outside world that would give him a clue. He eventually noticed a weight on his right side. He shook his shoulder slightly, but it didn’t move. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his mini-flashlight, and shined it in the direction of the weight.

       All he could do was laugh and sigh in relief.

      Hana was snoozing soundly, her head against his shoulder as she breathed evenly. Her long black hair covered most of her face, but he could see that was open slightly. He smiled, figuring that he just wouldn’t move for the time being in the fear of waking her up.

      Almost on cue, Hana cleared and nuzzled deeper into his shoulder before realizing that something was off. She immediately opened her eyes and looked around in confusion at her surroundings.

     “What time is it?” she asked as she yawned.

     “No clue, I forgot my watch in the room,” TOP replied, “Did you sleep well?” he asked, teasing evident in his voice.

     She didn’t get it at first, but then he saw her cheeks flush slightly with red, “Oh, God. Did I….?” she began and then saw his grin, “Ugh, I’m...sorry about that...I didn’t mean to,” she said.

    “No problem. I’m going to have to wash my shirt though after all the drool you left on it.”

  Hana gasped, “Bull, I don’t drool!”

   “Whatever you say,” he shrugged, “The wet patches on my shoulder say otherwise, though. I bet you're going to deny the snoring too then, huh?”

      "Okay now I know you're lying, I don't snore either," she said. Hana shook her head and rolled her eyes, internally kicking herself for falling asleep in such a compromising place, “We should get going,” she muttered before pushing herself up and walking past him down the stairs.

     He chuckled and followed her down, stepping over the zombies he killed as he went, "Just for the record, you sound like a cross between a lawn mower and a chainsaw."

   When they opened the door the light was blinding. They staggered back and squinted. The sunlight shined in at full force through the many windows in the hotel.

     The sky was still pink, meaning that it was just daybreak.

     “Thank you for staying with me last night, I just needed someone to talk to. Even if you were a little...blunt,” he said as they walked back to the room.

     “Glad I could help,” Hana said.

      When they made it to the door, they knocked a few times before Donghae opened it. He nodded at them and stepped aside so that they could walk in. Despite being in a place with many bedrooms, the rest of the group decided to all sleep there for the night. They were laid out on the sofa and floor, some still asleep while others looked on with puffy eyes.

     Once everyone was awake they devised the plan for the rest of the day. They would find a place to bury Sehun, have a service for him, eat something and get back on the road. After this was established, Hana, Kai, TOP, and Chanyeol hopped in the Jeep and went to a home improvement store that they saw the day before. They grabbed shovels from a back garden and loaded them in before quickly returning to the hotel to gather up the rest of the group.

      After gathering all their belongings, they somberly walked to the vehicles. They had wrapped Sehun’s body in several bedsheets and blankets and carried him to the truck and laid him down carefully in the back. The boys held back tears as they did, staring at the bundle before getting in their own seats. Once everything was settled, they drove along the empty roads, looking for any place that would fit such an occasion.

     After many miles, they settled on a meadow in the middle of nowhere.

     They parked on the side of the road and trekked through the overgrown grass, shovels in hand. They wordlessly scooped up the dirt, wiping sweat off of their slick foreheads as they did. It was an arduous task to say the least, especially when the reason for digging the hole was so bleak in the first place. Though they huffed on, no one uttering a single complaint. After about half an hour of work, they were satisfied with the size of it. They slowly carried the body, four on one side and five on the other, over to the hole they had just created. They lowered him down and stepped back, the only sound to be heard was the wind brushing over the tulips in the abandoned field.

     One by one they all stepped forward, lowering their heads as they whispered words down in the ditch and put a flower in. In contrast to how they did with Chen, this burial felt a lot more personal. They didn’t say to the group aloud how much Sehun meant to them, but instead to the boy himself when they went up front. Nearly all of their faces were covered with dirt from wiping their tears with filthy hands. Hana, one of the last ones and few clean faces in the group, walked forward and kneeled down before the hole, gazing down at the heap of faceless sheets.

      “I’m really sorry you had to go like this,” she whispered, “But I know you’re in a better place now,” she placed the flower onto the sheet along with the others and walked back to the rest.

      After all final words were spoken, they reached for their shovels and covered him up with dirt, sealing him into the earth forever.

 

 

 

 

       Leaving was harder than they anticipated.

      They found themselves unable to pull away from the meadow when they were done, and opted to just eat there instead. They sat on the side of the road and in their cars, chowing down on the food they had gotten from the grocery store just the day before. 24 hours seemed so long ago.

       “I can’t help but think that Sehun and Jongdae are somewhere enjoying their zombie free life and laughing at us poor souls down here,” Chanyeol said from his spot in the trunk bed, slurping a thing of canned peaches with an expressionless face.

      “I guess that’s one way of looking at it,” Kai said in a low voice from his seat next to him, eyes low and body sulking.

     “I’m jealous of them, honestly,” Amber said, “They’re probably chillin’, playing cards with God or something and we’re pulled over on the side of the road eating out of cans,” she said trying to lighten the somber mood.

     Hana was sitting with Amber on the asphalt, chewing on can of baked beans, while Kai and Chanyeol were in the back of the truck, leaning down to talk to them. TOP was in the driver’s seat, in his own world as he downed a can of his own. Henry was seated a few feet down from Hana and Amber, and would contribute to the conversation at times, but mostly would sit silent as he took swigs out of his water bottle. Shin and IU were eating together in the Jeep, too far away for the others to hear what they were talking about. Donghae and Eunhyuk were seated on the hood of the truck, Eunhyuk stuffing his face with stale bread, eyes planted on the Jeep while Donghae sat and stared into the meadow.

     Henry saw this and raised from his seat on the ground, swaying slightly as he walked over to the two with a can in his hand.

     “Here,” he grunted, reaching it out to Donghae. He just looked at it, “Take it.”

     “I’m okay,” he said.

     “No you’re not, man. When was the last time you ate something?” through lis lidded eyes, he could tell Donghae was thinking, but all he did was shrug. He took Donghae’s hand and faced it palm up, placing the can there instead, “Eat, please. You need all the nutrients you can get.”

     Donghae sighed, “Fine.”

      Henry stretched, “I’m gonna go pee, I’ll be...right back,” he said, walking away from the group and into a wooded area, stumbling over the brush as he went.

      “Hey, be careful out there!” TOP warned.

      “Don’t worry!” he replied. TOP couldn’t help but think his words sounded a bit slurred.

       “You ever just remember that Kyungsoo is out here somewhere too?” Amber asked, “Like living someplace with that maniac and his goons?”

       The thought did cross Hana’s mind. Just the image of the small singer, roaming the streets with Daewon and his group of murderers was enough to send her flashbacks of the terror they endured that one night in the market. A part of her wondered whether or not they were able to salvage it, or if they had been kicked out and forced to move on.

      “Yeah, it still pisses me off, actually,” Kai said.

      “I still can’t believe he did that,” said Chanyeol.

      “I can’t wait until the next time we see him so I can kick his .”

      “If we see him, we’re probably going to see that bastard Daewon too, so don’t wish it upon us too soon,” Amber said.

      Hana suddenly went into a coughing fit, grabbing her chest as she tried to force the beans down.

      “You okay?” Amber asked.

      “Yeah, it just went down the wrong pipe,” she managed to get out.

      Amber reached to her side and picked up Henry’s water bottle, “Here, drink this. I’m sure Henry wouldn’t mind.”

      Hana desperately took the water bottle from her hands and unscrewed the top. She noticed that it smelled a bit weird, but in her state she could care less. It wasn’t until the liquid passed her lips that she spit it right back out. She was gagging now, more so in shock and disgust.

      “Woah, you okay there?” Amber asked as she patted her back, “That wasn’t pee in there right? Cause I know Henry pees in bottles sometimes when he doesn’t feel like going to the bathroom.”

       “Nope. Definitely not pee,” she said, wiping spit from .

       “You okay?” TOP asked from his spot in the car.

      Hana just shook her head and raised the bottle, “We need to talk to Henry--”

      Just as the name left , he came running out of the woods, urgency and panic in his eyes, “HELP!” he screamed, struggling to hold up his pants as the pooled around his ankles, exposing his bright pink boxers. They were amused for a moment, until they saw what was emerging from behind him in the forest.

    Through the thick greenery, stumbling from between the trees were about twenty living carcasses, groaning loudly with blood thirsty eyes as Henry limped away.   

    "HELP ME!" he screamed.

    “Just when I thought we were catching a break,” Kai said.

    He and Chanyeol jumped down from the truck and stood alongside the rest of the group as they looked on.

    Henry grabbed at his belt and finally was able to raise his pants up to his hips. Though in his attempt, he wasn’t paying much attention to the ground, and failed to see a large branch hidden by the tall grass. His foot caught on the side, and he went careening to the ground. To the people by the cars, they could no longer see him, but saw the monsters approaching his direction with their arms outstretched as the sounds of his screams echoed against the forest walls.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________