Note.

Just Jonghyun

Dear readers,

It has been quite some time since I've published anything on this site, but this is not a post about my stories. Instead, I just wanted to say a few words regarding the tragic news of Kim Jonghyun's passing. 

Shinee was the first kpop group that I'd ever listened to, back in 2011. Immediately, Jonghyun stood out to me with his distinctive and exceptionally skilled vocals. As the entire group advanced in their projects and took on solo productions, I was always still in great awe of Jonghyun's vocals, hard work, dedication and talent. 

Most importantly, he was a good person. In an industry in which fame, fortune and power often drive people to abuse their positions, take advantage of others and use their popularity as a platform from which to hurt others, Jonghyun carried himself with integrity. In a conservative society and despite being heavily criticized for doing so, he took a clear and courageous stance in defending LGBTQ+ rights. By all accounts, he also was a loyal friend and a genuinely kind and generous human being. 

Yes, you did well. You did better than many would have done in your circumstances.

This message does not aim to acknowledge the death of a celebrity; rather, the loss of a beautiful young man whose time on earth undoubtedly made a positive difference for many people and will continue to do so, and to offer condolences to all who were close to him in life. 

For anyone who may be struggling with any situation in life, please remember that you are a person of value, as Jonghyun is, and that as long as you are alive, you can change your situation for the better. 
The following distress lines are available internationally:
http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html 

김종현, 감사합니다. 고인의 명복을 빕니다.