Where Are We Going?

Summer

 

"This kinda reminds me of that time when we threw that pool party for Kris three years ago," said Krystal, drawing small circles in the water with her toes. Kai's eyes lit up and he clapped.

 

"And you were staying at the edge of the pool. And we were questioning why you weren't joining us. And then you cracked." He added, laughing. Krystal picked at her granita and sighed, feeling the cool breeze fly past her face.

 

"Yeah, well that was one of my more ungraceful moments," She explained, "Don't judge."

 

"No! I just-seriously, don't rush me! It's actually be years since I've swam! I can't do this!" He mocked, making her laugh. Krystal shuffled backwards and lay her back down on the soft champagne couch they were on. Kai watched her before doing the same himself, his muscular shoulders brushing against hers as he did. They stared up at the straw ceiling, the sound of comfortable silence dominating all.

 


"No, if we were in a relationship, you'd be the girl and I'd be the guy," Daeun corrected. Sehun wrinkled his nose.

 

"Is that like, another language for, 'I'd never date you?'" He asked, crossing his arms, "Besides, you're all girly and flirting around other guys, but when you're with me you're eating everything and wearing trackies all the time. So I'm the 'nice guy'." She laughed at him, running her finger through her tangled tresses.

 

"Do you want me to be all flirty around you then?" She asked, "It's just a natural reaction. Not that I need any guy."

 

"Keep on telling yourself that," He sighed, "Whatever. I'm going back to my room." And with that, his room's door was closed. Daeun was beyond confused, but shrugged it off, heading inside the door directly next to his. When she entered, she saw Amber, who was surfing through channels on the television and Sulli who was leaning over the set of boxed shelves, neatening up one of the potted plants.

 

"I could live in this place forever!" Sulli sighed happily. Amber nodded in agreement, keeping her eyes on the television. Daeun laughed at the huge difference between her friends. Sulli was the sweet girl next door, who liked things prim and proper. Amber was the girl who was friends with everyone and liked hanging out with the boys. Namely Kris. Krystal lied in the middle between them; she was the girl that all the guys secretly wanted, but couldn't have because they all knew that she was Kai's. She was naturally pretty, had the longest hair that was always tumbling down perfectly and the longest legs. Daeun didn't know quite how to classify herself. She sort of labelled herself as one of the boys, yet, she always had her girly days. Urgh. Sehun was right. She was totally complicated.

 


Urgh. Daeun drove Sehun insane. Even though she was his best friend, she drove him up the wall. Yeah. That kind of insane. The fact that she acted like a guy around him had lately been pissing him off. And he had no idea why. He heaved out a sigh.

 

"Dude, are you okay?" Kris asked, not taking his eyes off the television screen in front of him, "That's like the ten millionth time you've sighed since you walked in."

 

"I don't know," Sehun answered honestly, "Who's in the shower?"

 

"Well, Kai's in the garden with Krystal, so I think you can pretty much just guess this one." Kris replied absent-mindedly again, just as Kai walked in, sat down next to Kris and whipped his phone out. Kris had ripped his attention off the television and was watching Kai, as well as Sehun. Kai chuckled as he kept his eyes glued to his screen. Then he realised that he was being watched.

 

"What's wrong?" He asked, startled. Kris coughed a laugh out and looked back at the television.

 

"Whipped." Sehun muttered, shaking his head, before grabbing his laptop and flipping the screen open. Kai raised his eyebrows in confusion, then shrugged and typed in a response to the text from Krystal.

 


Krystal giggled as she and Amber crept out to the balcony and slid the door open. Her eyes scanned the room. Wow. It was almost identical to their room. Meanwhile, Amber had tip-toed to where Kris was sleeping and climbed onto the bed. Then she gave his sleeping body a rough push and yelled out.

 

"Good morning sleepy-head!" She yelled. Kris extended his arm and struck out, pushing Amber away from him. Krystal had walked over to where Kai was waking up and sat on the edge of the bed. He opened his eyes and broke out into a grin when he saw her. Krystal reached over to fix his hair, which was starting to stick out. He grabbed her arm and pulled her under the covers and into his arms. She yelped out in surprise.

 

"Morning, baby." He mumbled, emphasizing on the 'baby', knowing how much she hated it when he called her that. She flicked his forehead and slipped out of his embrace when he rubbed his forehead in pain.

 

"Don't call me that!" She frowned and crossed her arms. Then she and Amber walked out.

 

"I don't know how Minho even does it." Kris grumbled, "But having a girlfriend would be hell." Kai snorted and pulled the covers over his head again.

 


 

Krystal breathed out as she observed her surroundings. After getting Kai to beg his sisters to let them borrow their convertible for half an hour, they had finally agreed. Palm trees towered over them like giants. And the wind winded through her hair, but she didn't mind it. And of course, Amber and Kris were in the backseats, arguing like little kids.

 

"God Kai, this is why I said that I should be the one driving! Even Amber drives faster than you." Kris complained. Kai and Krystal both rolled their eyes.

 

"Life isn't a race." Kai practically dictated, "You're supposed to enjoy it. If you guys are getting annoyed at my driving, then you should've gone by yourself."

 

"Yeah, but we didn't want to stay and be third-wheelers for Sulli and Minho. Or Sehun and Daeun." Amber explained, "But then again, we're virtually third-wheelers for you guys too."

 

"We're just…" Krystal didn't know how to finish her sentence.

 

"Friends." Kai finished for her. Krystal was sort of relieved, yet kind of disappointed at the same time. She would've said the same thing, but it still hurt to hear it coming from his mouth. She could never have been more confused. She didn't know what they were. Now she was convinced that he didn't like her that way. Kai had looked over and noticed that she was suddenly quiet.

 

"Soojung, are you okay?" He asked. She looked up and her eyes met with hers. She didn't think it was possible to achieve happiness from just looking at someone. Well, that was, until she met HIM. Ever since she had met him, seven years ago. But, We're just friends, she repeated to herself, just friends. I don't like him that way either. I think.

 

"You know, if you want us to leave, we'll go." Amber suggested. Kris turned to look at her with his eyebrows raised. Clearly, Krystal wasn't the only confused one. Amber elbowed him in the ribs and he leaned over in pain.

 

"Yeah, stop the car, Kai. Let Amber get out." He rasped out. Amber elbowed him again.

 

"No, we're both getting out." She demanded. Kai shrugged and stopped the car. Kris protested as Amber dragged him out.

 

"So where are we going?" Krystal asked, as Kai started driving again. She paused as she realised that the words she had just let out had a double meaning. Where are we going with our relationship?

 

"Just somewhere," He answered, a faint smile lingering, "Let's have some fun."

 


 

"Wow," Krystal breathed out, "This really reminds me of home." Palm trees towered over them and the hazy smell of salty water, mixed with ice cream and fresh frangipani flowers enveloped her. Umbrellas shaded hundreds of people settled on the white grains of sand.

 

"Minus all the tall skyscrapers and professional people in suits with piles paperwork." He added. Krystal glanced at him and beamed lightly, before racing off towards the sand.

 

"Race you!" She yelled, her white skirt trailing after her. He chuckled and ran after her, splashing water onto her.

 


 

"Hey," Kris said, "What are we going to do now?" The road was deserted except for them. The sea side was located on the other side of the road, but no one appeared to be there. Amber squatted down and rested her head on her hand.

 

"Okay, so I did that thing again where I do without thinking," She admitted. Kris crossed his arms and glared down at her. He crouched down to her height and flicked her forehead.

 

"You're an idiot." He told her. She winced and touched her forehead.

 

"I know," She whined, "Don't remind me." He smiled slightly.

 

"But, you're my idiot." He told her, causing her to turn pink.

 


"This place is amazing!" Krystal called out, clapping her hands. Old white buildings lined up around them, garlands of flowers handing off balconies.

 

"Are you hungry?" Kai asked, taking her hand. She looked down at where their hands connected.

 

"You betcha." She answered, and the biggest grin formed on her face. He pulled her through a door and she gasped when she looked inside.

 

"Don't tell Leeteuk that we went to a café that isn't his. He's gonna kill us." He joked. Large stones piled up at the walls. Sleek wooden plains decked the café ceilings. A garden bed lay in the middle of the café, a fake tree growing from the centre.

 

"How do you know this place?" She asked.

 

"Jaejoong's has had his eye on the house for a long time." He explained, "And last year he took us around this place to get our opinions."

 

"Are you guys ready to order?" A waitress asked.


 

"Yes, we'll have the high tea set." He said. Fifteen minutes later, a grand high tea stand appeared in front of their eyes. Kai smiled when he saw Krystal's eyes light up like fireflies and clap her hands together. She took a pink cupcake and bit into it as he reached for a sandwich stuffed with sliced cucumber and mayonnaise.

 

"That was so good." She said as they walked out. He laced his fingers through hers and they walked down.

 

"Why?" She asked, even though she secretly didn't mind. His fingers fit perfectly with hers. But they weren't a couple. Only couples did this.

 

"Just because." He answered. She shrugged and they walked until they reached a line of stalls. Amongst them was a fruit stall. Fresh peaches, pineapples, apples and apricots were piled up. He picked up a ripe peach, throwing it up in the air and catching it again, all while continuing to hold her hand.

 

           

 

"Isn't this the name of your room?" He asked. Krystal furrowed her brows.

 

"No, I'm pretty sure it's the name of yours." She laughed, hitting his arm. He put down the peach and picked up an apricot instead.

 

"This is it, isn't it?" He asked, not sounding too sure of himself. She nodded, smiling at him.

 

"It's okay, I like peaches better." She told him. He laughed and she decided that it was adorable when he laughed. She was having too much fun. She would figure out where their relationship was heading to another day. Just not today. Her phone suddenly rang. Amber.

 

"Krysssssssssss!" She cried out, "We don't know where we are, so we started walking back the way we came in and we've been walking for what seems like forever. And Kris won't carry me!" Krystal laughed as she heard Kris grumble out a complaint. Kai dug his hand into the pockets of his shorts and fished out his car keys, spinning them around his finger.

 

"Let's go." He winked at her.

 


"Kris," Amber said tiredly, "I'm so hot." Kris looked at her like he couldn't believe the words that just came out of .

 

"No you're not. I'm the hot one. Why the hell are you even telling me this now?" He argued. She sighed.

 

"No, I mean… urgh. Just forget it. Kai and Krystal are taking forever. Maybe they're not even coming to pick us up. They could be like making out instead. Gosh. Lovebirds." She muttered, just as a celestial blue convertible appeared.

 

"Right." Kris said, sarcasm dripping from his voice, jumping into the vehicle. Krystal threw them a brown paper bag as they got in. Peaches and apricots. 

 


Hey guys! :) This story almost has 1000 views ^_^ yeeeeey I'm so happy. Anyway, I felt bad adding in the fact that Kai stated that they were only friends, but I felt like there would be no point to have no complication in their relationship. There would be nothing to patch up. But it'll get better next chapter ^_^ I think.