Strangers

The Vow {Chenlay remake}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yixing wasn't the violent kind, his husband can testify it. Oh no, he could, before.

"You told me he would be fine !" he shouted at the doctor in the corridor.

"Please calm down Mr. Zhang. Brain damage is not a broken bone or torn ligaments. The brain is an unpredictable organ. The lesions have caused amnesia, and currently we can't predict the following events. I'll request a new scan for him. For now, the best is letting him rest. And..." the doctor winced, visibly reluctant.

"What ?"

"I think you should leave him alone for the time being, for his own good. It's my advice as a doctor."

The man patted his shoulder and wished him courage before walking away.

 

Later on, while Yixing was sleeping in the waiting room of the hospital, he felt someone gently shaking him by the shoulder. Yixing shift and turn to see Chen. He straightened immediately.

"You had the doctor's approval to get up ?" he asked in worry.

Chen nodded, humming in approval.

"Do you need something in particular ?" Yixing asked.

"Hum... I wanted  to asks if you could get me something to eat in the cafeteria. They told me you kept my stuff and... I don't have money."

"Ok, let's go."

They sat, facing each other, and  Chen started to eat quietly, sometimes looking up at Yixing.

"So... We're hum... we're married ?" he said quietly.

Yixing nodded.

"Since when ?"

"It's been two years last month."

Chen choked on his ramyeon.

"That long ?" he asked, eyes wide. "Then since when... we start being together...as a couple, I mean ?"

"Five years ago." Yixing smiled.

Chen droped his chopsticks, visibely too shocked to eat anymore.

"Oh my God !" he gasped, hiding his face in his hands.

"Five years ago, you leaved Korea to study in Beijing. We met at university. We dated for three years, then I proposed to you and we get married."

"But I'm too young to get married ! Omo, I don't even know how old I am !"

"You're currently twenty-four, and you were twenty-two when we get married. I'm twenty-six myself."

"Whoa... It's been a lot to digest..." Chen said. "Why did we get married ?"

"Because we loved each other." Yixing respond as if it was the obvious.

"This is just so weird... You said we lived in China. Why do we get back to Korea then ?"

"You are a singer. SM Entertainment proposed you a contract with them. You're currently working on your first album."

"What !" Chen nearly scream. "I... I'm supposed to debut ? As a singer ? I didn't though of becoming a singer since High School ! What about Law school ? I didn't get my diploma ?"

"You dropped it before moving to China. You studied music and performance when we met."

"Oh my God !" he sighed for the umpteeth time. "How could I forgot all of this ? Five years of my life !"

"Don't worry my love, I'm here. We'll get throught this." he grabbed Chen's hand.

He couldn't help but feel stabbed when Chen pulled his hand away.

 

In the early morning, their friends to check on Yixing's well-being and asking news of Chen. Despite the fact Yixing refused them to see him, saying it would be too much for Chen's fragile mind, they kept coming everyday, staying an hour with him before leaving to work.

"Actually, it's not all bad." Kris said. "If he didn't remember you, he also didn't remember all the stupid things you could have done. It's an occasion to have a fresh start."

"That was so lame, even from you." Tao scoffed. "I'll definetely remember it when you'll decided to propose."

"Hey !" Kris shouted, and everyone burst out laughing.

"You should go back home though." Xiumin said. "It's not a bother to bring you clothes here, but you need to rest properly. Take a shower. Eat. I'm really worried about you Yixing."

"We all are," Luhan patted his fiancé's back. "It's not healthy for you to stay here."

"I can't leave him." Yixing shook his head in denial. "I feel insecure at the thought of leaving him here, even for an hour. I already forget me, what would I become if I lose him ?"

"Yixing look at me," Luhan said, taking his hand. "Chen is in hospital. He isn't allowed to leave like this. Even if he wanted to, someone have to sign the papers for him to be discharged. No one can do it except you. Even if Chen doesn't remember, you guys are married. I know it very well because I was the one who celebrated it. Chen came to such a state he can't make righteous decisons, because of his amnesia, so he is inevitably placed to the guardianship of his spouse, you Yixing. No one can take him away, because you are his guardian."

Yixing nodded silently, thinking it was quite helpful to have a lawyer in his close friends.

"Will you go home now ?" Tao asked cautiously. "Luhan has to go to work soon, but I can drop you off."

"I can stay here," Xiumin proposed. "I'm Korean, so if anything happened, I'll be able to inform you right away."

"Thank you guys. I know I couldn't handle that situation if you weren't there."

"We aren't your friends for nothing." Kris said.

 

Yixing get back to their apartment. He showered, changed clothing and took spare clothes for Chen. He was about to leave when his phone rang. 

"Xiumin ? Is something's wrong with Chen ?"

"No, don't worry. Chen is fine. He sleeps peacefully. I called you because something came up at my work and I have to go. I'm really, really sorry, but I must do."

"It's fine," Yixing reasure him. "I should be the one apologizing for taking an hour of your time."

"Don't be stupid Yixing. Chen was my friend before you guys knew each other."

"Yeah, I know. Forgive me for being stupid." Yixing chuckled. "You can go. I'll be a hospital in twenty minutes anyway."

"Ok !" Xiumin said cheerfully. "Fighting Yixing !"

 

Back at the hospital, Yixing is panicked to see Chen's bed empty. He rushed at the reception desk.

"Excuse me, my husband was in this bed until this morning and now I don't find him."

"He has been moved upstairs to the VIP floor." the nurse told him.

"It must be expensive." he frowned.

"Rather, yes." The nurse nodded. "Go the the second floor, on your right. It's in the donor's wing."

Yixing sighed and ran up the stairs to his new room. He is quite stunned when h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter