Taming attempt

The Vow {Chenlay remake}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A heavy, awkward atmosphere filled the car as  they drove back home. Yixing didn't want to do or say something that would make Chen drift farther from him, so he kept silent. Jongdae was confused because of his amnesia and it felt weird enough for him to be with a complete stranger (registered as his husband), so he kept silent. Until eventually Yixing couldn't take it anymore.

"I don't think it's gonna be productive, to act that awkward to each other."

Jongdae nodded silently, but still don't speak.

"Ask me anything you want. About anything. If you want to know something, feel free to ask." Yixing tried, once again.

Jongdae though of the idea. It wasn't that bad.

"I will definetely sound stupid, but don't laugh at me." he requested.

"I wouldn't dare." Yixing smiled.

"Where do we live ?" 

"In Hongdae."

"Seriously ?" Jongdae asked, stunned.

"Yeah. You insisted to move there. You said you find the neighborhood inspiring."

Jongdae frowned.

"What's my favorite place to hang out ? Like a club or something ?"

"You don't do clubs." Yixing said, surprised by the question. "You hate crowded noisy places."

"Did my tastes changed that much ?" he muttered for himself, but Yixing heard him.

"I don't know. I've always known you as a simple, modest person, so..."

"I changed a lot."  Jongdae conclued.

"If you say so." Yixing sighed.

 

When they opened the door of their apartment, the light switched and all their friends jumped out, yelling "surprise !". Jongdae looked at the crowd, stunned, when a someone came to hug him.

"I'm so happy to see you !" he said, his eyes sparkling. "I'm Tao, and this is my boyfriend, Kris."

"Hey Chen, it's good to see you." smiled a tall blonde guy.

"We went to the hospital everyday. We're happy you look fine." a platinium haired guy said. "I'm Luhan by the way." he smiled.

"It's true," Yixing said. "They came everyday to have news of you."

"Hey Jongdae." said softly a chubby looking guy. "I know it sounds weird, but I'm Minseok... your best friend. Hum... it's nice to see you look fine."

"Euh... thanks." Jongdae muttered.

"Chen !" waved a a girl, walking toward them with her friend.

"It's so good to see you're ok." said one of them, engulfing him into a hug.

"Jia, let him breathe." warned Yixing.

"Sorry, I almost forgot." she said, frowning. "I'm Jia. We're friends."

"And I'm Victoria." said the girl who waved him before. "Fei said she apologizes for not being able to come, but she's doing the night shift today."

Jongdae felt so ill-at-ease. He didn't know that girl, not any people than came hugging him, telling him they were so happy to see him. It was too much, way too overwhelming.

"I... I... I need to go to my room." he whispered.

"It's that door, over there." Yixing said. "I'll lead you..."

"No. Just don't." Jongdae cut off sharply before walking away, leaving their friends shocked.

"Oh my... It's the first time I heard Chen talk to you that way..." Luhan said, stunned.

"He's not in his normal state of mind. It will pass." Yixing defended him.

"You're sure you can you handle that ?" Kris asked.

"I must." he sighed.

 

Yixing sends everyone home before going to their shared bedroom. Chen sat at his dressing table, rediscovering his own belongings. Yixing leaned on the door's frame, looking at his husband before walking in.

"I don't want to talk to you." Jongdae warned, looking at him through the mirror.

"I'm sorry." Yixing finally said. "It was supposed to be just a few close friends and it became a general gathering..."

"How could you be so insensitive ?" Jongdae rose his tone. "Can you even imagine how overwhelming it was for me to see all those people calling me by a name I didn't remember, hugging me, while I don't know any of them ? Wasn't it enough to walk into an unknown apartment, with an unknown man ?"

"I'm sorry, I swear I didn't meant to..."

"Just leave me alone and get out !"

Yixing stands in shock, eyes wide.

"Don't you hear me ? I said get out !" Jongdae screamed again.

Too much in shock to say anything, Yixing compelled and leaved the room. He prepared the couch to sleep on and undressed, slipping under the plaid. Closing his eyes, he remembered the last rave-up they had with their friends, when everything was normal.

It was a evening-games at their place. They played a game, divided in two teams of four. They have to pick a random paper where was wrote the name of a movie theme song and make their team guess the title, artist and movie the song was from with only three words. As usual, Chen, Yixing, Luhan and Xiumin gathered, and they were crushing the others. It was Yixing turn, and he picked a paper.

"Cross-stories, romance, british."

"Love actually ?" Chen said, and Yixing smiled. "All you need his love, The Beatles, Love Actually theme song." Chen said confidently.

"No way !" Kris protested. "You always cheat !"

Chen chuckled. "It's not cheating ! I just know him by heart." he smiled, giving his husband a high five as he came to sit next to him.

"If you and Tao were like us, would we accuse you of cheating ?" Xiumin asked playfully.

"Kris is right guys," Fei said, "we should melt for once. It's not fair to play by couples. We should separate you."

"In your dreams !" Chen stuck out his tongue. "Min, your turn !"

Minseok nodded and go pick a paper. He looked up to Luhan, as if they were doing thelepathy.

"Boat, forbidden love."

"My heart will go on, Céline Dion, Titanic."

Minseok smiled, nodding, before walking to his fiancé, giving him a peck.

"Not fair !" Kris, Fei and Victoria protested loudly, making the two couples and Tao burst out laughing.

When he woke up to the sound of his phone's alarm, Yixing made his way to the bedroom. He opened the door, absentmindedly comes into the bedroom , yawning. 

"Morning."

Jongdae, getting dressed and wearing nothing more than his underwear, shrieks and blush, hiding his body behind some sweat he found on the wardrobe.

"You didn't knock." he exclaimed, turning his head away.

"It's habit, I'm sorry..." he apologized. "Come on, it's not like you haven't saw it before."

Jondae was about to contest, but chuckled instead.

"This is not funny." he said, as for scolding himself. "You should knock."

Yixing smiled and go to the bathroom.

 

When Jongdae came to the kitchen after his shower, Yixing look at him. He felt a bit ill-at-ease and blushed under his husband's stare.

"You look nice." Yixing complimented.

Jongdae looked down at the over-sized sweat he found in his wardrobe.

"Hum, thanks." he mumbled. "This is about in only piece of my clothing I feel comfortable in." he admited.

"That's mine actually." Yixing smiled, taking a sip of his fruit juice. "You said wearing my clothes makes you feel like you were in my arms."

Jongdae blushed and turned his gaze to the table. He was surprised to see breakfast set up on it. He frowned, giving Yixing a questioning look.

"I figured out you won't know how things where. And I wanted to apologize, for yesterday."

 "Hum... Thanks." Jondae smiled a bit, taking the seat in front of him.

He started to eat quietly, surprised as he tasted the food.

"It's really delicious !" he said.

"I'm happy you still acknowledge my cooking." Yixing smiled.

"Do you usually cook ?" Jongdae asked.

"In general, we alternate everyday. The one who cook breakfast don't make dinner."

Jongdae nodded in understanding.

"We never lunch together ?"

"It's hard to make our schedules accord on week days, so it rarely happens. You usually make me a lunch box."

"Ok, fine... Hum... Do you want me to..."

"No, it's fine. I'll buy something, don't worry."

"What are you doing as a working ?" 

"I'm a choreographer for SM entertainment." Yixing responds. "I'm also a composer and songwriter. I made you two songs for your album."

"Oh ! That's impressive. You must be really hard-working."

"I work on various projects now. I was designate choreographer for a new boys band SM will produce. These little guys are really talented."

"It seems to be an interresting job. And me... you said I worked as a singer... What do I do all day ?"

"Your usual routine is like this. I stuggle to make you get out of the bed. Then we breakfast together. When I go to work, you check e-mails and pay the bills. Since you're the most at home between the two of us and you are Korean native, you decided to take care of the paperwork."

​"It makes sense." Jongdae nodded.

"But since I'm pretty sure you forgot all the passwords and account numbers, I'll do it."

"Ok."

"And then you go down to your studio. Sometimes you have appointments with people from SM generally in their headquaters, or restaurants. I called them after the accident, and they accepted to delay the recording of your album. Do you want to see your studio ? I can lead you there before going to work."

"I don't think I'm ready yet." Jongdae said. "Just do your usual routine, I'm fine."

"As you want." Yixing agreed. "This is your keys" Yixing pointed at the table, "your wallet and your phone. My workplace and my cell phone numbers are alredy recorded. If you need anything, don't hesitate. I'll call you too."

Jongdae nodded, and Yixing, while ready, hesitated to go.

"What ?" Jongdae asked.

Yixing sighed and took his courage to put his hand in the back of Chen's head, pressing a kiss on his forehead.

"I love you." he said before leaving.

Jongdae stayed stunned for a few moments before explore the apartment. First, he took his phone to check his repertoire. Luckily, he put a photo to each contact, so he found Yixing.

♥♥HoneyBear♥♥

"Aish ! When I became so cheesy ?" he told himself. He also recognized some people he met yesterday, like Kris, Luhan, Minseok and Tao (under the pseudonym of Kung Fu Panda.) However, he was shocked to see no number from his friends (the ones he remembered) nor his entire family. Jongdae felt bad, wondering what happened to make him falling out with all the people he knew. 

He lost his interest for his phone and let it on the couch, something catching his eyes. Yixing put colored post-it on some dvds on the console. Jongdae came closer and read what was write on it.

"Evidence"

He took the first dvd. The cover indicates "Yixing's proposal." Rather curious, Jongdae took the dvd and played it, settling down comfortably on the sofa.

"Hello there !" said the guy who held the camera, who Jongdae recognized as Luhan. "We're preparing the surprise of the century for Chen. He didn't know it yet, but tonight, Yixing will ask the big question, you know what I mean. And my role here is to record everything from the preparation to the big event, to make a beautiful short-film for the two love birds. Let's go !"

 The scene obviously takes place in a coffee shop. The place was empty, except for a few people. 

"As you can see," Luhan's voice speak, "we are in a coffee shop. Not any coffee shop, but the Lucky Strike, the café where Chen and Yixing had their first date, so it's a very meaningful place for both of them. Yixing rented the place for tonight. This guy... Let's go see him."

Some music started playing as the image speed to another place, obviously the restroom. Kris and Yixing where there. Yixing wear a tuxedo, but he let his jacket open and didn't tie his bowtie, the material hanging on his neck. The guys were discussing about wherether or not Yixing will tie the damn thing, what he didn't want to, stoping as Luhan came in.

"What's that ?" Kris asked, pointing at the camera.

"A camera, you . I planned to record everything."

"I don't remember you asking my permission." Yixing frown.

"Obviously because I don't need it." retorted playfully Luhan. "So, how are you feeling ?"

"I'm scared to death." Yixing admit, earning a sigh from Luhan.

"As if Chen would say no, you stupid."

"Netherless, I'm nervous."

"So, can you explain to the camera your plan for tonight."

"I will do my proposal to Chen, my boyfriend since three years now, with a song I'll sang while playing guitar."

"Aww, that's so romantic !" Luhan fanboyed. "Guitar players makes girls and boys falling right away. I have to learn playing guitar."

Yixing and Kris laughed, while Kris's phone beeped.

"That's Tao. He said Xiumin, Chen and him are on their way. Chen don't suspect anything so far."

"That's good." Luhan said. "Kris, I'll give you one camera. You'll film Yixing and I'll film Chen. I'll do some video montage later."

"Ok. Who take care of the lights ?"

"Xiumin." Luhan said. "Let's make this moment unforgatable and successful, ok ?"

The three put their hands on each others and screamed "Jiā Yóu"

It's at this moment that Jongdae realise the video was in Chinese, but he understood so naturally he though it was hangeul. Memory was a scary thing. He didn't remember the past five years of his life but he still understood mandarin. The next scene was all dark and quiet, but Luhan's camera have an infrared system, so Jongdae saw three figures come in the café.

"Why all this darkness ?" asked a voice, his voice.

"Maybe the fuse blown." another voice said. "I'm going to check, ok ?"

"Be careful Xiumin !"

"Chen, let's sat other there." 

Someone, surely Tao, grabbed his wrist and make them sat on a sort of couch.

"Huh ? What a couch is doing here ?"

Suddenly, a smooth, dim light lit up the scene. The tables and chairs were missing, and a curtain hid a part of the room. Jongdae saw himself looking around, surprised. Tao kept him from standing. Then, the curtain fall, revealing Yixing sitting on a bar stool, his guitar in hands. Jongdae watched his former self gasp and put his hands on his face. He obviously want to ask something but Tao shook his head in denial.

"ChenChen," Yixing said with a smooth voice, "you surely wonder what all this staging is about, so I'll start right away. I love you."

Yixing started to play, his hands giving life to a beautiful melody. When he started singing, his video-self gasped.

 

Forever can never be long enough for me  To feel like I've had long enough with you  Forget the world now we won't let them see  But there's one thing left to do  Now that the weight has lifted  Love has surely shifted my way    Lay looked up to Chen and took all his courage to sing the next part, knowing there will be no turning back after saying those world, for the better (he wished) or the worse (he tried to not think about it.)   Marry Me  Today and every day  Marry Me  If I ever get the nerve to ask you in this cafe  Say you will  Mm-hmm  Say you will  Mm-hmm    The video showed his former self started crying, a hand on his mouth, surely to prevet sobs. He was indeed crying, but his eyes sparkled, sign that it was an intense moment of pure happiness.   Together can never be close enough for me  To feel like I am close enough to you  You wear white and I'll wear out the words I love you And you're beautiful  Now that the wait is over  And love has finally shown him my way    Yixing's eyes wandering between his guitar and Chen, but it was way too easy to concentrate on the strings than looking at his lover's face. Even playing, he felt nervous and scared like never. He was sure he would remember this moment as a Impact on his life. He just hoped it would be a happy one.   Marry me  Today and every day  Marry me  If I ever get the nerve to ask you in this cafe  Say you will  Mm-hmm  Say you will  Mm-hmm    Yixing looked up to former Jongdae and locked their eyes together as he sang the next lyrics.    Promise me  You'll always be  Happy by my side  I promise to  Sing to you  When all the music dies    And marry me  Today and everyday  Marry me  If I ever get the nerve to ask you in this cafe  Say you will  Mm-hmm  Say you will  Marry me  Mm-hmm  

After a last guitar strumming, the song ended. Yixing put down his guitar and walked toward him. Tao stood up to rejoin Kris, leaving the two lovers "alone." When he came to his level, Yixin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter