Silver Bells

12 Miracles in December

“Yah, Park Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol froze on the spot and was surprised since he didn’t expect that. His head slowly turned and faced the person who called out his name. “Heheheh…”

 

“I knew something was coming up,” the person laughed. “What are you doing?”

 

Chanyeol stood up and scratched his head. “Nothiiiiing…”

 

The guy peered inside the guitar case. “You got a lot of money and you’re up to nothing?”

 

“Byunnie, it’s not what you think.”

 

Baekhyun laughed and smiled at Chanyeol. “You’re so defensive. What did you do this time?”

 

Chanyeol couldn’t reply straight. “I… thought of… going in the entertainment business. Like your friend, Kyungsoo. Yes! That’s it!”

 

Baekhyun crossed his arms and gave a smug look at Chanyeol. “Really now?”

 

Chanyeol was so pressured. He didn’t know what to do so he just broke down and knelt in front of Baekhyun. Chanyeol just kept blabbering in a very apologetic tone.

 

“I’m sorry Baekhyunnie! I just wanted our day to be perfect so I had many things prepared, and and a-and, my wallet got stolen this afternoon, so I was left empty! I needed to find a way to make today perfect for you! So I sold some of the roses I bought for you and I borrowed this guita—”

 

“Aishahahahayah! Wait!” Baekhyun tried to shush Chanyeol up since Chanyeol said a whole lot of things and Baekhyun just couldn’t take in every single bit of information. “So… your money was stolen..? And you decided to… sell and perform on the streets. And this guitar isn’t even yours.”

 

Chanyeol looked down and pouted. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Now return that guitar to the original owner.”

 

Chanyeol sulked as he tried to gather all of the money inside the guitar case so he could put them in his pockets. But Baekhyun tried to stop him.”

 

“Yah. The money too. Give the money to the owner.”

 

“B-b-bu-but—”

 

“Now, Chanyeol.”

 

“Oh… kay…” Chanyeol removed the money and placed the guitar inside. He went over to the street performer and returned the guitar, along with the money he earned from playing. Chanyeol bowed and thanked him before sulking back as he returned to Baekhyun.

 

“That wasn’t hard was it?”

 

Chanyeol slowly shook his head left and right.

 

“Yah,” Baekhyun said as he caressed his boyfriend’s face with his free hand. “You don’t need to have money to impress me.”

 

“But you made an effort to come—”

 

“For you.” Baekhyun smiled. “I came for you, and not what extravagant plans you had in mind. Yes, they help, but I’m more interested in you and your love.”

 

Chanyeol sighed as he took his free hand to hold Baekhyun’s. They were both holding flowers in their other hands. Chanyeol’s fingers intertwined with Baekhyun’s while they walked to a quiet place where they could talk.

 

“You were early for the first time,” Chanyeol said to break the awkward silence.

 

Baekhyun chuckled. “So unlike me, right? Oh well, Am I not allowed to change things up?”

 

“It’s not that but—”

 

“Yeollie,” Baekhyun walked in front of Chanyeol and stopped. Baekhyun looked at the quiet and serene snowy garden they ended up in and smiled. “I was just that excited to see you.”

 

Chanyeol smiled and blushed as he placed his rose in the inside pocket of his suit.

 

“Here, by the way…” Baekhyun said as he gave the bouquet he bought earlier to Chanyeol. “They’re called Lily of the Valley. They said the person should give this to someone he or she loves; someone they’re happy to be with.”

 

Chanyeol’s blushing intensified as he received Baekhyun’s token of love. “I’m sorry again for earlier today, Baekhyunnie.”

 

“It’s okay, I already told you.”

 

Chanyeol kissed Baekhyun’s forehead.

 

Baekhyun chuckled lightly. “Yah… why did you call me anyway? What’s so special about today that you had to call me a nine in the morning?”

 

“About that…”

 

“Yes..?” Baekhyun squinted his eyes out of curiosity.

 

Chanyeol reached for the rose in his pocket, but this time, he reached deeper, as if getting something small. He brought out the rose and had a firm grasp on it. “Here…”

 

Baekhyun smiled as he thought that the simplicity of the rose was really sweet for him. He grabbed hold of the rose and it took a couple of seconds before Chanyeol let go. As he did, Baekhyun’s eyes widened as he saw the glittering object that fell from Chanyeol’s hand onto his.

 

“Ch-chanyeol…”

 

Chanyeol knelt in front of Baekhyun and placed both his hands over the hand Baekhyun used to hold the rose. Chanyeol first looked at the ring and up at Baekhyun’s eyes. Chanyeol’s eyes were shining as the glint emphasized on how big his eyes were. He was sincere with what he’s doing.

 

“Byun Baekhyun,” Chanyeol was a little nervous but he shook the fear off of him. “Will you marry me?”

 

Baekhyun was at a loss of words. He knew what to answer but he just couldn’t get it out because he was just overwhelmed. Baekhyun’s eyes welled up, and his lips were pursed as if preventing himself from crying or frowning. Everything that they’ve been through has finally boiled up to this point. Baekhyun could only remember the good memories and gave him countless reasons as to why that answer should come out of his mouth at that moment.

 

“Yes,” Baekhyun replied as he nodded. “Yes, I will marry you, Park Chanyeol!”

 

Chanyeol burst into tears of joy as he got up from his feet and spun Baekhyun in the air. As Baekhyun landed, they both embraced each other tight, and cried on each other’s shoulder.

 

Chanyeol pulled away and got Baekhyun’s hand with his free one. He got the ring out of the rose’s stem and placed it on Baekhyun’s ring finger. Both their smiled brightened as they experienced a new milestone in their lives.

 

“I love you, Byun Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said, staring into Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

“I love you too, Park Chanyeol, my future husband,” Baekhyun replied, slowly closing in towards Chanyeol’s face. Softly, he whispered, “I can already hear those silver bells...”

 

At that point, their lips met and the two shared their very first passionate kiss as fiancées.

 

Love and happiness. Every single person should be able to experience love and happiness, and what better time to experience them, than Christmas season? Christmas is the season when happiness reigns and the season that defines love.

 

The matching of both these miracles creates a vibrant atmosphere one cannot fully explain—just an overflow of good feelings. This is Christmas. This season always attempts to bring love and happiness to each person.

 

From author-nim to you, reader, I hope you find Love and Happiness this Christmas!