Humility

12 Miracles in December

HUMILITY ft. Kris Wu

 

Click! Shhhh… Click! Shhhh…Click-Click! Shhhh…

 

“Yes,” A tall man repeated for the nth time that morning. “Perfect.”

 

The clicking from his camera and flashes from the lights had been going on for more than an hour now. The environment was silent—perfect for working. From time to time, the make-up artist and person in-charge of hair would come over and give a retouch on the model’s face and a short fix on her hair respectively.

 

“Last set!” He shouted as he drank from his water bottle.

 

Kris Wu stood proudly in the middle of his studio as the crew came to change the set.

 

“Miss, last costume change,” the costume mistress came over and took the model to wear her last outfit.

 

As the model passed by, Kris winked at her, but all her got was a small, quick smile from her. Kris turned around and rolled his eyes. He thought that she wasn’t good enough for him anyway. He can get any girl.

 

Inside Kris’ studio, it’s full of pictures of him. Kris is a professional photographer and model, so he hung only pictures of himself inside his studio. Underneath, a plain black and white were painted on his walls which were perfect for his job since it would be an easier environment to work with.

 

“Last set, ready!” One of the crew members shouted as the set was all ready. Soon after, the model came out in a white, flowing gown.

 

“Last set!” Kris shouted back as he got the crew to set the lights.

 

Numerous clicks and flashes after, they finally finished. Kris smirked as he softly said, “And that’s a wrap.”

 

“Pack-up!” Kris shouted as the crew clapped their hands and started fixing up the set and lights. Kris went to the table with the make-up artist, the hair stylist, and the model’s personal assistant and got a slice of pizza from the box.

 

“You were lovely,” Kris looked back at the model when she passed by. “Let’s work again sometime?”

 

The model gave a fake laugh and didn’t say anything anymore as she went to change her outfit.

 

Kris took a bite of his pizza and smiled. “See, that was amazing right?”

 

There were small laughs and murmurs from the people around him. No one was really fond of Kris. His work was okay—not bad, not really excellent either, but how he gloats abut it makes their value much higher than how they actually are.

 

“Only I can take beautiful photos like that,” Kris laughed. “Don’t you guys agree?”

 

Soft ‘yeah’s were heard in the background. Kris checked his mobile phone for the first time after his shoot and saw a text from his friend, Jongdae.

 

“Hey guys! I’m only reminding my close friends, so if you receive this text, you’re in luck! Tonight is the annual Christmas Tree-lighting ceremony. It would be really meaningful if you guys attend this year since I am the organizer for the event. Remember, it’s at the Seoul Plaza. The program starts at 8:30p.m. Thank you!”

 

Kris thought, “Ah… what a nice opportunity to cover an event!”

 

“Guys! We have an invite!” Kris shouted as the crew members gathered in front of him in a dull fashion.

 

“It’s from Kim Jongdae. He’s inviting us to the Christmas Tree-lighting tonight.” Kris looked left and right and smiled. “Who wants to come with?”

 

Suddenly, the crew members started making their own excuses. No one was really fond of Kris, and no one really intends to  The smile on Kris’ face disappeared.

 

“F-fine… I’ll go alone tonight, but it’ll be fun!”

 

Mixes of ‘oh, no, you’ll go great!’, ‘have fun!’, or ‘too bad I’m busy’ were heard amongst the small crowd in front of him.

 

A few minutes later, people started to leave until Kris was left alone. This was always the case. Kris glumly got the trash the crew left behind and threw them all in a garbage bag. When he was sure that he was done cleaning-up, he sat down on a chair and sighed deeply. He looked around his surroundings and sulked. He was always thinking why he would always get left behind and that no one really enjoys being with him.

 

“But I’m perfect,” Kris thought. “Who wouldn’t want to be with me..?”

 

All of a sudden, Kris remembered the guy who worked next door—Huang Zitao. He was that single person who hasn’t done that to him yet. Unknown to Kris, and shrouded by his own pride, he actually likes Zitao, just because of that reason.

 

Kris smiled as he decided to ask Zitao if he could accompany him for that day. Kris has nothing to do before the event anyway. He wanted to use this time to get to know who Zitao really was.

 

Kris stood up and headed for the Martial Arts gym next door. He inhaled and finally went inside.

 

“Good afternoon,” Kris bowed at the gym’s secretary.

 

“Good after…noon…” The secretary was a little surprised by Kris’ visit. “Kris Wu from next door?”

 

Kris laughed. “Yes it’s me. Is Zitao still here?”

 

The secretary smiled and her face lit up. “Wait a sec, I’ll call him.”

 

Kris’ eyes trailed the secretary as she went inside the training room.

 

----------

 

Accepting Kris’ invite, Zitao was finally was Kris as they were on their way to the mall. The commuting trip was a little awkward for Kris since they weren’t even talking.

 

“Talk, you pabo.” Kris was scared to talk, not just because he didn’t know what to say, but rather, if he did, he might say something again to turn Zitao off.

 

“So…” Kris said as he looked at Zitao beside him. It looked like Zitao was spacing out, so Kris just turned away.

 

“I just came from work today,” Kris smiled as he just finally started a conversation with Zitao. “Work was really tiring.”

 

Still no reply.

 

“You know, the model I worked with was Parisian. She’s Korean, but she had model training in Paris, so I can call her Parisian.”

 

“Nice one Kris, keep this up!”

 

Kris kept blabbing about his shoot that day and how his shots were really good. He told Zitao that he had a lot of friends who are models by profession, he covers big events, and that he even models and produces events himself. He kept talking up until they reached the mall. Finally, his head came up with something as he wanted to ask Zitao himself.

 

“Zitao,” Kris looked at Zitao, who was walking right beside him. “Have you seen any of my works?”

 

Zitao smiled and looked back at Kris shyly.

 

“Ah… yes, I have… I saw some of them displayed outside your studio.”

 

“Oh those,” Kris replied. “They’re not that good.”

 

“R-really?”

 

“Well, even though they’re worth a lot, they’re still not good,” Kris replied in a cocky tone.

 

Zitao chuckled. “What are the good ones then?”

 

“You know, the ones that were praised by the mayor,” Kris added in the same tone.

 

Zitao nodded as they finally reached the mall.

 

“The picture I took of the Kim Yumi? You know, Miss Korea-Universe 2013? Of course, she approached me to take her glam shots.”

 

“Oh really? That’s… awesome!” Zitao smiled.

 

“Yes,” As Kris’ eyes wandered, he saw a reflective glass and instantly fixed his hair in front of it. “Of course, she had to go to the best right?”

 

They both laughed.

 

“You’re really good, Kris,” Zitao replied. “You kno—”

 

“What do you think of my hair?” Kris turned to Zitao and interrupted him. “Is it fixed?”

 

Zitao approached Kris and fixed a small part of his hair as he smiled. “There you go.”

 

“Thanks, Zitao. Anyway, where was I? Oh right—”

 

Kris started to become more comfortable with Zitao and actually started to realize, at least, some of the feelings hidden inside him. Unconsciously, he just started to present himself to Zitao because he wanted Zitao to be impressed.

 

“Be cool, Kris… don’t be too easy…”

 

Kris thought he had this in his control, but it seemed that Zitao wasn’t responding well at everything he was saying. That was when he started realizing his own faults, so he started to divert the topic by inviting Zitao for a quick cup of coffee.

 

Suddenly, he swallowed all his pride and became blunt with Zitao as they sat down with their cups of coffee.

 

“You know, Zitao,” Kris mentions just to break the ice. “I like you.”

 

He saw Zitao’s expression change and Kris suddenly felt better inside knowing he got Zitao’s attention.

 

“Y-you do?”

 

“Yeah, you’re nice. You know, I asked you because no one else couldn’t come along. You’re the only one there so…”

 

“What the did I just say?” Kris asked himself. “Pabo! Stupid! You don’t say that! You’re not this heartless, Kris! Tell him the real reason! For the love of God, plant your feet on the ground.”

 

Kris attempted another topic change so that Zitao would forget what he just said. “Do you want to model for me, Zita—”

 

Zitao stood up and shouted. “I can’t believe you!”

 

Kris saw this coming. He gave a very confused and worried expression. “Zitao?”

 

“You are so full of yourself! I can’t believe I even liked you!” Zitao shouted and attracted the attention of the people in the coffee shop.

 

Kris looked like he was caught off-guard when Zitao suddenly exploded in anger in front of him. “Like me?”

 

Kris was so indulged in his own feelings that he forgot Zitao’s. And he thought this day would turn out great.