E

The Sun and the Moon

The drums signaling the execution rang through the air. Himchan shut his eyes. Before he knew it, it was too quiet.

 

Himchan was sobbing violently when the door to his room burst open. Junhong ran in, tears rolling off his face.

“Your Majesty! He’s dead! They killed him!” Junhong cried, his eyes staring around frantically.

Himchan looked at him with dazed eyes.

“Did you know I liked him, Your Majesty?” Junhong asked in a high-pitched voice. “Of course you didn’t! But I gave him up… I thought you would be able to make him happy and protect him! But I guess I was wrong, wasn’t I?”

Himchan continued staring at him in silence.

“Do you know why he called me Zelo? My parents abandoned me on the streets when I was just nine years old. He knew I hated my birth name, so he gave me a new name! He made me feel like I wasn’t worthless, that I mattered to someone! I loved him…” Junhong broke down into hysterical sobs. “But until the very end, he asked me to look out for you!”

“Junhong…” Himchan said quietly, moving towards him.

“Don’t call me that!” Junhong spat harshly, and without another word, he ran out of the room.

Himchan sank to his knees before darkness engulfed him.

 

Himchan felt someone shaking him violently. “Hyung!”

Himchan slowly opened his eyes and found Youngjae staring at him with wild eyes.

“Hyung, Junhong’s dead. He killed himself,” Youngjae said, dazed.

Himchan looked at him wordlessly. Without another thought, he jumped up and ran out.

“Hyung!” he heard Youngjae call, but he didn’t turn back.

 

Himchan reached the room he knew Jongup and Junhong shared. He found Junhong lying on the ground, a vile of poison knocked over by his side.

“Junhong…” Himchan sobbed, shaking him. “Don’t leave me too… you didn’t even give me the chance to apologize…”

Himchan looked at Junhong’s eyes, staring emptily into space, before swiftly closing them shut.

Looking at Junhong’s lifeless form, a thought dawned on him.

Himchan felt around Junhong’s inner pockets, where he knew he kept a small dagger.

Finding it, Himchan walked out and sat down on the steps. He looked up at the moon. It was covered by clouds tonight, casting a dark shadow around him.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be your sun, Jongup. I’m sorry I was your eclipse instead,” Himchan said. Tears streamed down his face.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t save you…” He sighed before pulling out the dagger he just took from Junhong and twirled it around in his hands.

“I’m sorry I took you away from Daehyun and I’m sorry I took you away from Junhong, as well. I was selfish. I wanted you all to myself..." Himchan continued. "And lastly, I’m sorry I’m not strong enough to live without you…”

Without another thought, Himchan closed his eyes and aimed the dagger towards him in a swift movement. He gritted his teeth in pain, feeling something warm sweeping through his fingers. After awhile, he sighed, feeling the pain starting to fade away. He was starting to feel a little lightheaded, so he lied down when he heard a voice from far away.

“Hyung!” Himchan raised his eyebrows. “Hyung!” This time the voice (or was it voices?) definitely sounded closer.

Himchan slowly opened his eyes and saw two familiar faces.

“Hyung! Hyung!” Daehyun and Youngjae shouted frantically.

Himchan smiled weakly. Just the people he wanted to see.

“Daehyun,” Himchan said breathlessly.

“Hyung…” Daehyun sobbed.

“I’m s-sorry for l-leaving y-you. And a-all this r-responsibility. But please w-watch over this c-country and its p-people. I k-know you c-can do it. We b-both knew f-from the s-start that you w-would’ve been a better k-king than I was,” Himchan said quietly. “And I’m s-sorry for taking away y-your only friend from y-you.”

Daehyun shook his head, his mouth opening and closing. But no words came out.

“A-and Youngjae?” Himchan whispered.

“H-hyung?”

“Please w-watch over Daehyun f-for me, okay?” Himchan asked. Youngjae nodded fiercely. “I n-never told you t-this, but t-thanks for being s-such a good f-friend, Youngjae.” He shivered from the cold and Daehyun hugged him tighter.

Himchan coughed and he felt blood trickling down his chin. Daehyun wiped it away wordlessly.

Himchan watched as Daehyun and Youngjae’s faces slowly grew more and more out of focus. He was starting to feel tired…

Just wait a little longer, Jongup. I’m coming for you. In our next life, let’s not meet as a King and guard, but as two average people, okay?

Himchan closed his eyes and slowly drifted away into darkness for the last time, Daehyun hugging onto his lifeless form. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So... I'm sorry to those who wanted a happy ending. I didn't really plan on ending it like this either.

But thank you to everyone who stuck with this story to the very end! It means a lot to me. (:

 

oh and did anybody catch the hints of daejae? hehe