C

The Sun and the Moon

The next day, Himchan was introduced to his own personal servant. A young boy was standing next to the Queen and looking down at his feet.

“This is Youngjae, Prince Chan,” the Queen said. “He will be your personal servant from now on.”

“I don’t want a personal servant,” Himchan replied coldly.

“Prince Chan,” the Queen said. “Behave.”

“How old is he anyway?” Himchan muttered. “He looks younger than me.”

“I am eleven, Prince Chan”, Youngjae stuttered nervously before looking down at his feet again.

“How can someone four years younger than me be my servant? How will he be able to serve me?” Himchan asked, annoyed.

“Prince Chan, Youngjae has made the highest marks on this year’s civil service exams,” the Queen answered. “He will be of great help to you,” she said before walking away and leaving the two of them to themselves.

 

It didn’t take long for Himchan and Youngjae to get close. The two were soon inseparable. Himchan would never admit it, but he loved Youngjae’s brutal honesty and how he made him feel more like himself. The kid was a genius, too.  

After awhile, Himchan and Youngjae were joined by a kid named Junhong. Junhong was to be Himchan’s personal guard. Despite being younger than him by a lot, Himchan had to admit Junhong was a good fighter. Even if Junhong was scolded by Youngjae for his mistakes, the kid apologized quickly before beaming again. Nobody could stay mad at him for too long.

 

Himchan watched Junhong being scolded by Youngjae again for the second time today, when an idea hit him.

“I’ll be back,” Himchan announced.

“Where are you going…” Youngjae ran after him. “…Prince Chan?” he added as they walked past officials of the High Court.

“To my mother’s quarters,” Himchan replied.

“Unannounced, Prince Chan?” Junhong caught up quickly with his long legs.

“I have something to request,” Himchan replied before stopping in front of his mother’s quarters.

“Prince Chan,” two of his mother’s Court Ladies greeted him.

“Is my mother in? I need to see her,” Himchan said.

The Court Ladies nodded before bowing him inside. Youngjae and Junhong waited outside.

“Mother,” Himchan bowed.

“What are you doing here? You should visit the Princess instead of coming to see your old mother,” the Queen scolded.

“Mother, I need another guard,” Himchan said.

“Is the one you have now... incapable?” the Queen asked.

“No, no,” Himchan said quickly. “Junhong is fine. But he’s only nine years old. I think one more guard would be good to have.”

“Anyone in mind?” the Queen asked.

Himchan nodded vigorously. “Daehyun’s guard.”

“Prince Hyun?” the Queen asked.

“Yes, mother,” Himchan said. “Please assign Daehyun’s guard to me.”

The Queen nodded after awhile. “I will see to it. Now please go visit the princess. She is distraught and lonely. I need to go visit your father, as well. He’s ill,” she said.

Himchan bowed before leaving.

“What was that for, Prince Chan?” Youngjae asked when he walked outside.

“Nothing,” Himchan said. He quickly walked past the Princess’ quarters and headed back to his room.

The boy was assigned to be Himchan’s guard the very next day. That was also the day Daehyun stopped visiting him.