S

The Sun and the Moon

To Himchan’s surprise, after that night, Jongup had opened up to him even more than ever before.

Youngjae seemed to have given up constantly trying to keep Himchan and Jongup apart, much to Himchan’s delight.

On one of their now frequent midnight strolls, Himchan and Jongup were walking around the palace grounds, holding hands.

Himchan looked up at the moon, hovering above them.

“Even the moon is bright tonight,” Himchan muttered. “I guess it’s sharing our happiness.”

Jongup laughed softly.

“My little moon,” Himchan said affectionately, kissing each one of Jongup’s fingertips.

“Your Majesty,” Jongup laughed. “Did I ever tell you my family name is Moon?”

“Is it?” Himchan asked. He burst out into laughter. "You really are a Moon, then!"

Jongup laughed too, when suddenly he stopped and abruptly let go of Himchan’s hand.

“Wha-?” Himchan started to ask, when a deep voice was heard behind him.

“Your Majesty,” Yongguk said. “I didn’t expect to run into you here.”

Himchan cleared his throat, trying to keep in the panic that was threatening to take over him. “I could not sleep, so I was taking a little walk.”

“Ah, I see…” Yongguk said. He glanced over at Jongup, his expression unreadable. “Well, continue on your way, Your Majesty,” he bowed before walking away swiftly.

When Yongguk was out of earshot, Jongup turned towards Himchan, who was standing frozen in place.

“Your Majesty, I think we should start heading back now,” he said calmly.

“Jongup…” Himchan whispered. “Did he…?”

“I will you back to your quarters, Your Majesty.”

 

Himchan had been nodding off when he awoke abruptly to the sound of yelling.

“What do you think you’re doing?” he heard Youngjae’s voice, when the door to his room burst open, three palace guards strolling in.

Himchan felt his heart stopping.

“Arrest him!” one of the men cried. Two guards went and grabbed Jongup, dragging him away.

The guards pushed past Youngjae and disappeared around the corner. Himchan watched in a daze as his moon was taken away from him.

 

“Hyung, I warned you, didn’t I?” Youngjae said quietly.

“Youngjae, where did they take him?” Himchan asked frantically.

Youngjae shut his eyes. “He’s currently being held in jail. Hyung, you know there’s nothing we can do now. He’s being tried for treason!”

Junhong looked down at his feet, shoulders shaking.

“Youngjae, do something… let me just see him once…” Himchan begged.

“Hyung, you know where this is going. He’s going to be killed and you know it!” 

Himchan sank to the floor, sobbing.

 

Himchan had been sitting at his desk with his head in his hands when Youngjae burst through the door. There was determination in his eyes.

“Hyung, hurry. There’s not much time,” Youngjae said, as he started taking off his clothes.

Himchan stared at him wordlessly.

“Hurry up and switch clothes with me. Junhong, help him,” Youngjae said quickly.

Junhong helped Himchan out of his robes and into Youngjae’s.

“I’ll stay here. Hyung, go see him for the last time. I took care of everything,” Youngjae said quietly. “Junhong, him there.”

Himchan looked up and stared into Youngjae’s tired eyes. He gave a short nod before walking out, Junhong by his side.

 

When he reached the cell, Himchan dropped to his knees. “Jongup…” he said quietly.

Jongup looked up through half lidded eyes, cuts covering his face and his clothes in tatters.

“Your Majesty?” Jongup asked softly. “Is that really you?”

“Jongup, Jongup, I’m sorry, this is all my fault!” Himchan whispered frantically.

Jongup slowly went over to him. “Your Majesty, do not blame yourself.”

“Jongup…” Himchan cried, reaching out his hands through the bars. 

“Your Majesty,” Jongup grabbed his hands fiercely. “These past few weeks have been the best times of my life. I do not regret anything. And I hope you don’t, either.”

Himchan shook his head and sobbed, when the prison guard walked over.

“You have one more minute,” he hissed quietly before walking back to his post.

“Zelo,” Jongup said quickly. Junhong looked up, tears in his eyes.

“Zelo, please watch over His Majesty for me,” Jongup said.

Junhong sobbed and Jongup looked at him determinedly. “Promise me!”

Before he could respond, Junhong and Himchan were abruptly pulled to their feet by the prison guard and dragged outside.

“I love you,” Himchan called out desperately for the first and last time. “I’m sorry.”

 

Jongup closed his eyes. “Thank you for loving someone like me, Your Majesty” he whispered into the darkness.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next chapter will be the last~