L

The Sun and the Moon

Five years had passed and the King had passed away. Himchan was crowned King and set on the throne just four years after the wedding.

It had taken awhile for Jongup to open up to Himchan. It took awhile for Junhong to open up to Jongup, as well. But now the four of them were inseparable. The three were always by Himchan’s side, always helping out and comforting him whenever he was stressed about the High Court and their pressures to produce an heir. After the wedding night, Himchan had tried to avoid sleeping with the Princess, now Queen, as much as possible. He didn’t even know why, honestly.

Himchan was walking around the palace grounds when he heard a deep voice behind him. “Your Majesty."

“Sir Yongguk,” Himchan said, turning towards his father-in-law.

Youngjae, Jongup, and Junhong stepped back to give them privacy.

“How have you been, Your Majesty?” Yongguk drawled.

“Fine,” Himchan answered curtly.

Yongguk cut to the chase. “Your Majesty, the palace is questioning why an heir to the throne has not been produced yet. Is there any… problems?”

Himchan closed his eyes. “Not exactly, bu-” 

“Please visit the Queen more often, Your Majesty,” Yonggguk cut him off, smiling. But Himchan knew the smile wasn’t genuine. It did not reach his eyes.

“I'll keep that in mind,” Himchan said. “Now, if you’ll excuse me…” 

Youngjae, Jongup, and Junhong were behind him in a flash.

“What was that about… your Majesty?” Youngjae asked. Himchan rolled his eyes. Youngjae always added the title at the end when they were within earshot of others.

“None of your business,” Himchan said.

“Was it perhaps about your life, your Majesty? Or lack of?” Youngjae asked.

Youngjae and Junhong snickered before stopping immediately when Himchan glared at them. Himchan hated how he had to glare up towards Junhong. The kid grew almost a head taller than him since the day they first met.

“You two leave me alone. I’m taking a walk with Jongup,” Himchan ordered and he walked away quickly, Jongup trailing behind him.

“I apologize in their place, your Majesty,” Jongup bowed.

Himchan rolled his eyes. “When will you stop being so formal to me?” Himchan asked, wondering why he was so annoyed.

Jongup just smiled warmly and Himchan calmed down. He always calmed down when he was with Jongup. The two continued walking around the palace grounds when Himchan saw a familiar figure he had not seen in months.

“Daehyun!” Himchan called.

Daehyun turned and stopped when he saw Himchan and Jongup together. He walked slowly towards them.

“Your Majesty,” he bowed. “Hey, Uppie,” he said to Jongup.

“Cut the crap, Daehyun,” Himchan said. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been fine, Hyung,” Daehyun said. “I just went to visit mother.”

“How is she?” Himchan asked.

“Healthy as ever,” Daehyun replied. “Look, I know you’re busy, so I’ll leave you alone…” he said.

“I have time for my only one brother,” Himchan said and Daehyun laughed quietly. Himchan missed the sound of Daehyun’s carefree laugh. “Let’s go to my room and have lunch together,” he said.

“Oh, I don’t know…” Daehyun said, but Jongup grabbed his arm. “Come on, Daehyun-ah!” Daehyun's face broke into a smile, his eyes crinkling.

“Since when were you two so informal to each other?” Himchan asked, bitterly. Jongup just laughed and Daehyun reluctantly agreed after some more convincing.

The three of them walked back to Himchan’s room and Daehyun and Jongup kept talking non-stop along the way. Himchan had never heard Jongup talk so much at once. They reached the room and Youngjae and Junhong were waiting inside.

“Junhong, go call for some lunch to be served,” Himchan commanded and Junhong nodded before running out.

“Zelo, slow down or you’re going to get hurt!” Jongup called after him. Junhong saluted and started speed walking instead.

The rest of them sat down. Himchan never understood why Jongup gave him that nickname, but he never asked.

Himchan looked around and beamed. “All my favorite people are here,” he said and he watched as Youngjae and Daehyun rolled their eyes.

“Oh yeah, Daehyun! The one who just walked out is Junhong and this here is Youngjae,” Himchan introduced them.

“Hey,” Daehyun said and Youngjae suddenly grew serious. “Prince Hyun,” Youngjae bowed.

Himchan raised his eyes at him and Daehyun laughed. “Just call me Daehyun, Youngjae,” he said. “Or can I just call you Jae? I knew someone with a name starting with ‘Young’ and I don’t want to be reminded of her...”

“Oh,” Youngjae’s face fell slightly. “Yes, that’s fine,” he nodded.

“A girl, huh?” Himchan asked and Jongup punched Daehyun in the arm.

“Shut up,” Daehyun said, just as Junhong walked back in.

Pretty soon, a table filled with the most delicious food was served.

After Himchan took the first bite, Daehyun and Youngjae began to dig in. Jongup and Junhong continued to stand aside.

“Guys,” Himchan said, annoyed. “How many times do I have to tell you that you can eat with me?”

“We wouldn’t dare, your Majesty”, Jongup bowed, as Junhong kept giving side glances at Youngjae.

“Sit down!” Daehyun said, pulling Jongup next to him. Junhong reluctantly followed.

Himchan looked around, content. He loved seeing his favorite people all together. He watched quietly as his brother and Youngjae started getting to know each other better and felt a stab of annoyance when he saw how friendly Jongup and Junhong were being together. He quickly shook the thought away.

After eating, Daehyun insisted on leaving. Himchan exchanged an awkward hug with his brother. Youngjae insisted on escorting Prince Hyun back to his quarters and after awhile, Daehyun agreed.

Himchan sighed, full and happy, before going over to review some important documents the High Court had given him.

Jongup and Junhong continued to stand by his side until nightfall.