I

The Sun and the Moon

“Your Majesty, it has been five years since you have been married to the Queen. The people of this nation will not feel safe until an heir to the throne is produced!”, Yongguk declared at a meeting.

“Your Majesty!” the rest of the members of the High Court cried in unison as they bowed their heads.

Himchan shut his eyes tightly. “I will keep that in mind. Dismissed,” he said, before standing up.

Why did they never talk about the people of the country anymore? The poor? The hungry? Taxes? Why were they so impatient for an heir?

Himchan sighed in frustration before making his way to the Queen’s quarters. He knew it had been too long since he last visited.

Youngjae, Jongup, and Junhong stayed quiet as Himchan approached the Queen’s room.

“Your Majesty,” the Queen’s Court Ladies bowed.

“Is the Queen inside?” Himchan asked wearily.

“We will announce your arrival,” one said before walking in.

Himchan distantly heard the Queen starting to panic about her appearance and he sighed. After a few minutes, he was escorted inside.

Himchan stepped in and looked at the Queen. She really was beautiful. In the five years since they first met, she had grown up to be a mature, young woman. Himchan did not understand why he was not attracted to her.

“Your Majesty,” the Queen bowed. “Your arrival was so sudden, I was a bit flustered...” 

“My Queen,” Himchan said. “Have you been alright?” he asked softly, touching her cheek.

The Queen’s eyes lit up and Himchan cringed. She had definitely lost weight from the last time he saw her. 

“Have you not been eating well?” Himchan asked.

“I have been fine, Your Majesty,” she said. “But the Queen Dowager has been visiting, worried that she does not have a grandson to hold in her arms yet. My father and mother have been worried, as well.”

Himchan nodded. “I am aware. I will…uh, call for you soon, so stay well until then. Don’t forget to eat,” he added.

The Queen beamed and nodded. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

Himchan got up and left, and the Court Ladies bowed him away.

 

It was soon night, but Himchan could not sleep. He sat up and Jongup and Junhong automatically moved alongside him.

“Youngjae!” Himchan called.

Youngjae rushed inside. “I’m going for a walk with Jongup. The rest of you stay here,” he ordered. Junhong pouted, but stayed quiet. Youngjae looked like he wanted to argue, but he bit his lip and nodded.

Himchan left his quarters and Jongup followed him quietly.

After walking in silence, Himchan stopped abruptly and Jongup bumped into him.

“Your Majesty,” Jongup bowed.

Himchan growled. “Jongup, stop it. Stop being so formal with me. At least with you, I want to feel like a normal human being,” he cried angrily.

Jongup looked at him, stunned. “I…can’t, Your Majesty…” he said, softly.

Himchan sighed, exasperated. “I can’t sleep,” he changed the subject.

Jongup just nodded.

“Why are you so comfortable with Daehyun, but not me?” Himchan asked.

Himchan could see Jongup struggling to not talk as formally.

“Prince Hy- Daehyun is my best friend,” Jongup said. “He treated me as an equal when everyone else looked down on me. And I was there for him when he was lonely.”

“I see,” Himchan said. “I’m sorry I took him away from you.”

“No, Your Majesty,” Jongup said quickly. “I’m sorry I was out of line.”

“Jongup,” Himchan said. “I just want you to be comfortable with me as you are with my brother. Is that too much to ask for?”

Jongup slowly shook his head.

Himchan nodded, satisfied. “I feel at peace when I’m with you. All my stress and problems seem to fade away when you’re around. People are around me every minute of the day, but I still feel alone. I’m living in this darkness…” Himchan didn’t know where this sudden confession was coming from, but he couldn’t seem to stop.

“You’re like my own little moon,” Himchan laughed. “A light I see in the darkness. Very faint, but it’s there.” Himchan suddenly blushed. Was he confessing his feelings? Did he really like... Jongup?

Jongup stayed quiet. “I have a question, Your Majesty,” he said after awhile.

“Yes?” Himchan asked, ignoring the formalities again.

“If it’s not too much to ask, why are you trying so hard to avoid the Queen?” Jongup stammered.

“In other words, why am I not sleeping with her?” Himchan stated, bluntly.

Jongup paused, and then nodded.

“I don’t know…” Himchan said. “I’m just not attracted to her. I think I’m attracted to… you.” 

Jongup looked up, eyes wide. “Your Majesty?”

Without thinking, Himchan closed the gap between them and slowly pressed his lips against Jongup.

At first, Jongup tried to protest, but he soon melted into the kiss.

Their sweet kiss suddenly turned angry and despreate, and soon their tongues were dancing against each other, fighting for dominance.

In what seemed like just seconds later, they were pulled apart abruptly.

Himchan panted and opened his eyes, to see Youngjae holding onto him and Junhong holding on to Jongup. Both Youngjae and Junhong’s eyes were wide.

“Your Majesty…” Junhong said quietly.

Jongup suddenly broke away from Junhong and sprinted away.

“Jongup!” Himchan yelled after him, but Youngjae spun him around.

“Hyung,” Youngjae said firmly. “Let him go. He’ll come back.”

Himchan mumbled incoherently, and Youngjae shook him.

“Hyung, get it together. There are eyes and ears everywhere in this palace. What the hell do you think you are doing?” Youngjae said between clenched teeth.

Himchan slowly slid to the ground, and both Youngjae and Junhong struggled to hold him up.

“Junhong, go get Jongup. I’ll take Hyung back to his room,” Youngjae said.

Himchan watched with dazed eyes as Junhong bowed to him and sprinted off. He faintly recalled Youngjae dragging him back to his room and putting him to bed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Thank you to those who have subscribed! And to all the silent readers, if there are any out there (haha), please leave me comments.. I would really like to know what you guys are thinking of the story and how I can improve and so on~ <3