Chapter 9

My Husband's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seunghyun held the key tight in his hand, while raking his brain for the possibilities that the key held. What did it open? A box? A room? A secret entrance? He just didn't know, and he was becoming more and more frustrated. He stared out the windows, at the gray clouds rolling in that signaled rain. The gloomy sky felt ominous, and somehow the feeling of something breaking out threatened to burst his chest. He pursed his lips, and breathed in and out.

He thought about the woman in the hills. There was an aura about her...something he just couldn't pinpoint. It was as if he knew her, but of course he didn't. Her image lingered inside his mind, floating around like a ghost unwilling to cross into oblivion. 

He stared at the key in his hand, as if trying to make it talk. There was an uneasy feeling in his heart, like he was venturing into something significant. Something that would change everything forever. For a moment, he thought about backing down and letting things stay the way they were. Some things just weren't meant to be revealed, right? 

But then the woman crossed his mind, and her eyes felt like they were accusing him. 

He took a deep breath, and went out in the halls. He started walking up the stairs, up and up, as he searched for any possible clues. He arrived at the top floor of the mansion, where there was a grand patio and garden. His feet just moved on their own and took him here. He was about to turn back and go downstairs when his eyes caught the lone doors standing at the end of the darkened hall of the floor. They stared back at him, whispering their secrets into his ears and daring him to change everything with what he'd find. 

He blinked, and started approaching the doors. It was his grandfather's room. Before he passed away years ago, the man had been a family member that Seunghyun was fond towards. The man always treated him with utmost kindness, and sometimes Seunghyun even thought that he was more affectionate towards him than his own parents. He remembered coming up here and sat in the garden as he talked to the old man. He remembered his grandfather last words to him, telling him to live happily. 

Now, standing in front of the doors, he wondered if his grandfather knew something. As absurd as it was, there was a possibility that whatever his mother was hiding might have to do with his grandfather. When he was alive, his grandfather and mother didn't really agree on many things. He was gentle and big-hearted, while his mother was harsh and unforgiving.

With shaking hands, Seunghyun inserted the key into the hole in the doors. He turned it, and the clicking sound was faint over the beating of his heart. He felt as if he was going to drop down any moment.

The doors opened, and his grandfather's room laid out in front of him. It was more or less the same as the last time he saw it. The ordinary-looking bed was on his right. The desk the man used still remained there with pictures and miscellaneous things lying on it. The dusty shelves of books loomed over Seunghyun, like they were trying to scare him away from finding whatever secrets stashed here. 

What exactly was he trying to find?

The question hit Seunghyun for the first time, and Seunghyun couldn't answer it. What exactly did his mother want to hide? What form did her secret came in? Was it even something tangible? 

What if he was wrong? What if everything was just a product of his own hyper imagination? He found himself fighting his own doubts as he stood in the room. It felt like the world stopped spinning, like everything was just a distant dream that his mind conjured up to mess with him. 

He approached the desk in the room, finding things scattered on its surface. There were some photographs, old pens, and even a tennis ball. He picked up a photograph of him and his grandfather when Seunghyun was just a child, and in the process knocked the tennis ball over the desk. It hit the floor and rolled straight under the bed.

He put the photograph back and got down on all fours, to find the neon-green ball lying under the frame of the bed. He laid down flat on the floor, and crawled under the bed as he reached for the ball. Once he had it in his hand, he slowly crawl back out until something caught his eyes.

At the head of the frame, far away from where he was, was something flat tucked between the frame and the mattress. He crawled inside farther, his lean frame squished against the floor as he reached farther. His hand finally grasped the object, and he pulled it out smoothly. It was a folder.

He got out from under the bed with the folder in his hands, and stared at it carefully. He opened it, and pulled out the papers inside. 

It was his Grandfather's will. He skimmed over it, and would have disregard the document if only his name near the bottom of the document didn't catch his eyes.

"I want my grandson, Choi Seunghyun, to marry Park Bom." 

Park Bom? Who was Park Bom? And why didn't his mother say anything about this?

He proceeded to inspect the sentences that followed.

"As my foremost dying wish, I want my grandson Choi Seunghyun to marry Park Bom. I have provided Park Bom's photograph and address here. I shall keep my reasoning over this matter to myself, but please see to it that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter