the end;

bittersweet christmas; a drabble collection

 

            Sitting there on the ground and staring at Jongdae’s hardened expression from across the coffee table, Minseok wondered exactly where they went wrong.   

            Perhaps it had all started on that dreary morning when Jongdae had come home soaked to the bone and reeking of alcohol. Or maybe the day when Minseok had discovered his lover in their bed with someone else. The only reason he hadn’t left then, was because Jongdae had pleaded and apologized and though Minseok had forgiven him, he had never forgotten. And so it happened again and again, the vicious cycle repeating itself until Minseok wasn’t even surprised anymore when he returned and found his apartment smelling of sweat and and beer. He stopped crying himself to sleep on the couch.

            There were no more tears left to cry.

            Minseok delusioned himself into believing that Jongdae would one day come to his senses and change. He told himself time and again that it was “just a phase”.That the two would go back to the days when the apartment wasn’t strewn with trash and when their home was actually their home.

            But the latter never changed and the “phase” never ended. The reality was that Jongdae had come too far to turn back now.

            And so this day had finally come. Christmas or not, he had to get it out of the way.

            “This is the end, isn’t it?” Jongdae didn’t even blink as he said those words.

            Minseok swallowed thickly. “I guess it is.” He said quietly.

            “Well then,” The former stood up stiffly. “Goodbye.”

            Minseok vaguely remembered the door slamming shut before the lump rose in his throat and the tears streamed down once more.

            It was the end.

            Of everything.


Word Count: 288

Ideas Used:  Good Bye, Home Alone