empty;

bittersweet christmas; a drabble collection

            Yifan’s face remained stoic, but his insides boiled with anger. He had been waiting for over an hour now, but each train that had arrived at his platform had left without him. And to make everything worse, when the previous train had come, he had lost the last spot when he was shoved aside by a bulky man, just as the doors closed.

            Damn holiday. Yifan cursed internally just as another train raced past, not even bothering to stop at his station. It was jam-packed with people.

            He glowered at them before shoving his frozen hands down his pockets. He could’ve sworn his nose was turning into purple ice cubes. This so-called “special” day was anything but. The warmth Yifan used to feel had long since died. He just felt angry whenever the day rolled around again. Like a puzzle whose pieces had scattered with the wind. There was an emptiness in his heart and no matter how much he tried to fill it with happiness, it just grew bigger and bigger, and soon enough, he had became Wu Yifan, the man trapped in a neverending black void.

            There were days when he waited and waited, for what he didn’t know exactly. But he still waited something— anything to happen. And then there were days he wanted to cry. But Yifan never could. It was like he had forgotten how.

            And it was because of that stupid panda. It was because Tao had left without returning his heart. And now Christmas just felt bitter and empty without him.

            His face crumpled. Yifan watched as yet another train thundered by. He watched helplessly as it ran on and on, leaving him farther and farther behind.

            Just like Tao.


Word Count: 287

Ideas Used: Empty