A Sparkly Ever After (4/4) Epilogue 2

A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic)

"Today's the day!" Key shrieked, having been up since six am to prepare everything. It'd been two years and many dollars in the making but god was it ever worth it. Jonghyun and Key were inviting their first child home together today. The adoption agency had finally finalized everything and they would be going in get their baby girl that day at noon.  

Jonghyun had been less quick to wake up. They'd had a busy week at work and as it was Sunday, this was his day off and he was happy to sleep in, as excited as he was. It wasn't a bone deep exhaustion like he'd had the few years before when he'd broken his foot, but more of a long week, temporary exhaustion. After that day, he and Key had developed more together as a couple, learning when and how to support each other emotionally, mentally and physically, in business and in life. One could even say that that moment of weakness in both of them had made them stronger together.  

Otherwise, why else would they be inviting a small bean into their lives?  

She was two days old today. They'd been in contact with the birth mom since he second trimester and they were both being released from the hospital today which meant that baby got to go home with them.  

"We have Haneul's room all set up, right?" Key asked, going over his check list for the billionth time that day.  

Jonghyun traipsed out of their new bedroom with a yawn, nodding and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He found his glasses on the kitchen counter, slipping them on his face before he ambled to the coffee machine. "We went over the list last night, babe. Everything's ready. It's been ready."  

Key huffed, joining his partner in the kitchen, not even acknowledging his bare torso as he did. "It has to be perfect. We're going to be two gays with a baby. We can't let the women one-up us. Especially Hyunjae. She has two already; she's ahead of us!"  

"This isn't a competition Key," Jonghyun reminded his husband, turning around so he could lean his back on the counter.  

Key approached Jonghyun, putting them toe to toe, his hands finding his way onto the other's bare waist. "Maybe not for you, but I want to be the best dad ever," he pouted.  

Jonghyun tilted Key's face up so that he could smile sleepily at him. "You managed to get into an advanced business programs at one of the best schools in Seoul just so you could be in the same class as me... I mean, I think that's the type of person who will make a great dad," he reassured Key, kissing him softly.  

The tender press of lips against lips had Key sighing, melting into the hold of his lover. He really had managed to win the lottery with this diamond of a man. They were like yin and yang, totally opposite but balancing each other perfectly. Jonghyun was his rock, his core, his anchor that kept him tethered when he got carried away. And Key was the guy that reminded Jonghyun what it was like to be himself, to live freely without the judgment of others. They were perfect for each other and now their perfect duo would become a perfect trio with their perfect daughter.  

"Get ready soon," Key hummed against Jonghyun's lips as they pulled apart, but he was weak for the other, not even objecting when their kiss evolved into something a little more exciting and stimulating than morning coffee. 

 

---- 

 

They were a small crowd at the hospital. Key's mother in her wheelchair, his mother and his father, Hyunjae and Onew with their two little chicken drumsticks – Taemin being the one squealing in delight as he learned that helium balloons floated back up after you pulled them down -, Taemin's mom and her husband and even Taesun, all waiting for the arrival of the first girl grandchild.  

Jonghyun and Key were at the center of the frenzy, waiting anxiously with their baby stroller and diaper bag packed excessively with things. Jonghyun understood Hyunjae now when she had trusted Taemin to him for the first time. There was something about this being his child that made him even more protective. He looked around to the balloons, the flowers, the smiling faces of his family and was reminded again of when he had been married to Key after years of dating. There was nothing more comforting than having his loved ones around him to support him for one of the greatest events in his life. 

Taemin's mother was tearing up but trying to play it cool, dabbing at her eyes as she spoke with Jonghyun's mom, both of them having gone overboard with buying things for their first granddaughter, because of course Taemin's mother was his mother by extension of his friendship with her son. It would be the only grandchildren she had after all. Key's mom was talking with Key over how to properly integrate the child back in their home, to not be too worried over her and to remember that parenting was all about patience and love. She, too, was trying not to tear up but with her condition worsening, her muscles weakening more each year, it was harder for her to hold it back and the tears were freely falling down her face.  

They were all there for them again. Happy and proud. Once more, he was so wrapped up with the loving gazes of his family and the content, warm feeling in his stomach that he needed Key to pull him out of his thoughts.  

"Jjongie, look," Key whispered excitedly.  

The pair turned around to see a nurse with the adoption agent coming towards them, both of them smiling, their squirming daughter in their arms. She was gurgling, as if she was about to cry, and the closer they got, the more apparent the red on her face was, a cranky one from birth. But Jonghyun loved her. This was the second time he was seeing her since she was born and yet he was already crying, Key next to him a blubbering mess. They met the two women at three quarters of the way, Jonghyun reaching out tentatively to let his annoyed daughter cling to his finger.  

"Congratulations, you're fathers," the nurse said with an airy laugh. She passed the small girl to Key who held her lovingly in his arms, then stepped away, the adoption agent also giving them a moment to be with their new addition.  

"She's perfect," Jonghyun managed through his tears. He kissed her forehead and then he kissed Key, who was crying too hard as he looked from Haneul to Jonghyun to say anything. Jonghyun didn't need to hear Key say it to know it was true, though. Like their love for each other, Haneul was now part of their being. Every breath they took, decision they made, dollar they earned, would all be with her in mind and with each other in mind.  

Neither of them needed to say it to know it was true. They loved this girl more than they loved themselves.  

Their family had given them a moment to themselves, but now they slowly edged in, Key melting into the middle of their group with Jonghyun, introducing her for the first time to all three of her grandmothers and her two grandfathers. Haneul lay in Key's mother's lap and she stopped crying, large brown eyes looking up inquisitively to the people looking in on her and cooing. When Taemin's mother got the chance to hold her she held her close, shutting her eyes and pressing her cheek to the infant's forehead.  

"Oh god... I wish Taemin was here for this," she whispered, and they all shared a moment of comfortable silence to regard his presence in their group, because they all knew Taemin would have loved to become an uncle, especially to Jonghyun's child.  

They spent way too long in that hospital lobby fawning over Haneul until she fell asleep and everyone agreed that it was best they get home and get her settled in. Key and Jonghyun made their way around, hugging each family member, bidding their final see-you-later's before they all separated at the entrance doors. Jonghyun and Key were left alone at the entrance, Jonghyun pushing the stroller with all the flowers, balloons and gifts in it while Key continued to clutch lovingly at their daughter.  

Their daughter. 

"You ready to go home?" Jonghyun asked his husband, smiling brightly.  

Key nodded, smiling right back to Jonghyun. "Yeah, I'm ready."  

They both raised a foot, ready to walk off when a call from their left stopped them.  

"Jonghyun! Key! Wait!" The couple turned their head to the voice, pleasantly surprised to find Minho sprinting to reach them, long hair disheveled as it blew in the cool summer evening. He stopped in front of them, resting his hands on his knees for a moment so he could catch his breath. When his tall frame unfolded he had a bright smile on his face and a somewhat sheepish expression. "I'm sorry I'm late... I couldn't get off work in time. Is it too late? Are you guys already leaving?"  

To Jonghyun's surprise, Key stepped toward Minho, shaking his head. "No, no. We have time," he reassured the younger man.  

Jonghyun watched in amazement as Key introduced their daughter to the man he had once feared but was really just misunderstood the whole time. Again, he had flashbacks to his wedding, Minho being the last face he had seen and the last man he had saluted before going off to his honeymoon. Watching the tall man laughing at the fresh innocence of their baby made him wonder if Taemin had sent him to make sure that Jonghyun knew that he was there watching.  

When the hospital doors slid open again and a kid walked out next to his mother with Michael Jackson blaring from his phone, Jonghyun couldn't help but think that he was. He turned back to Key, placing a hand on his lower back and just watching as the two fawned over their little girl, the breeze ruffling the hair on the back of his head as if Taemin was wrapping his arm around his neck, looking down and doing the same thing with him.