A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) THIRTY-ONE

A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic)

That whole night JongHyun wasn`t able to sleep. He swept the floors of the store, even passing the mop afterwards. He spent another long while making sure everything was in order before sinking down behind the counter.

            The lashes of words that Key had whipped at him had really stung. He swore there were bright red marks all over his heart from how horrible he felt. Especially after that horrible evening he’d spent with TaeMin. After his mother had told him that awful bit of new that had nearly made him sink down onto his knees and blubber away like a newborn child.

            His best friend… His brother…

            Now was the time when JongHyun wished he had his mother to hold on to. Or his father to clap him on the back and say, “It’ll be all right son.” He just wished he had his family back.

            In a spurt of loneliness, JongHyun pushed himself to a standing position (a tough feat for his exhausted body) and grabbed the store’s phone. It took a while to motivate himself to press the numbers. Eventually, the ringing of the phone resounded in his ear canal – a sharp trill that helped him wake up. A part of JongHyun hoped that his sister would answer the phone instead of one of his parents. It might be easier for him to deal if it was her.

            The ringing suddenly stop, giving way to the syrupy voice of JongHyun`s mother. His breath caught in his throat, jammed right beside the lump of tears swelling there.

            “Hello?”

            JongHyun struggled to find the words to answer.

            “Hello?” the voice repeated, sounding more awake now than before.”Hello? Is anyone there?”

            His breathing kicked up a notch. He had to cover the receiver to muffle the sound of his incoming sobs.

            “Look, if this is some kind of prank call, I’m going to hang up,” his mother warned.

            Hearing his mom’s voice had sparked a desperate need in JongHyun that he wasn’t about to let go so easily. He took in a deep breath to calm himself and said in as steady a voice he could manage, “M-mom?”

            A chilling silence followed suit. For a heartbreaking moment JongHyun thought that she had hung up. The mere thought made him whimper slightly.

            “JongHyun?” she finally whispered. Her voice sounded just as choked up and broken as his. “Is that really you?” she asked hopefully.

            After a shaky breath JongHyun squeaked out a small hum of confirmation.

            “Is it really you?” she asked again. From the way she was gasping for breath was an obvious sign to JongHyun that she was crying now. “Baby, where are you?” she asked.

            “I’m safe, don’t worry…” JongHyun assured. “How are you?”

            “Come home JongHyun… We’ll talk things out. We’ll make things work. Your father wants to work things out, too.”

            “Mom… I don’t… I-I don’t want to talk about that now,” JongHyun whispered, rubbing his eyes.

            “But JongHyun…”

            “Mom, TaeMin’s dying…”

            If his mother said anything after that he couldn’t hear it. He held the phone away from his mouth so he could sob without worrying about making too much noise.

            Everything from that afternoon flooded back to him. TaeMin being so depressed and feeling like something was wrong. His mother stopping him before he left. It was all so clear in his head.

 

            He had just been about to tie his shoes when TaeMin’s mother had pulled him to the side. Her eyes were puffy and swollen, the bags cradling them darker than JongHyun had ever seen before. From her crazy hair to her wrinkled pants, TaeMin’s mother looked like she’d aged ten years.

            Her hand rested on JongHyun’s arm. He had noticed right off the bat that it was trembling immensely.

            “JongHyun… Can I talk to you for a second?” she had asked him in a tiny, defeated voice.

            “Is something wrong?” JongHyun asked.

            “I’m sure I already told you that I took TaeMin to the doctors… You know, to check up on his health and everything.”

            “Yeah…”

            “He called me yesterday… To tell me the results of all those tests…” Here her voice choked up and she had to take a moment to herself so she could gather up her bearings. It was the first sign for JongHyun. Something was seriously wrong…. “It’s not good… I haven’t told TaeMin yet… I don’t want to tell him just yet, but… He…” Tears squeezed themselves out of the corners of her eyes. She put a hand over her face to try and hide her tears. “He’s gotten much worse. His immune system has become really, really weak… If he had another episode he can die… And even if he doesn’t have an attack his body is going to keep deteriorating until even the smallest cold can turn into pneumonia and kill him…”

            “What do you mean?” JongHyun asked, already fearing the answer.

            “He’s not going to make it to his eighteenth birthday… There’s a very, verysmall chance that he will…”

            “You mean he’s going to die?”

            “I haven’t told TaeMin yet… I don’t want him to know yet.”

            JongHyun hadn’t been prepared for this – he wasn’t able to handle anymore. He had escaped while he could. Run to the shop and used those girls as a distraction.

 

            Which had led him to here…

            “JongHyun? JongHyun?” His mother’s voice made him sniffle up the last of his dignity. He grabbed the phone and pressed it back to his ear.

            “Sorry… S-sorry…” he apologized.

            “Come home, baby,” she pleaded.

            “I can’t mom…”

            “Please…”

            “Sorry for calling so late… I’ll let you go. Goodnight.” He hung up the phone, unable to deal with more than one problem at a time. His knees buckled out from underneath him and JongHyun collapsed. His heart hurt… He didn’t want to lose his best friend…

 

----

 

Please aid me in removing this racist person off of the internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovozCFxK5cQ&feature=g-all-c&context=G28da2adFAAAAAAAARAA

 

They're talking about how kpop is ruining the world and whatnot and being incredibly rude. Please help.