Chapter Six

Oasis

“I think I found it!” I yell, tiptoeing to reach my target. Unfortunately, I fell a bit short. Just then, a long arm shot towered above me and grabbed the book. I turned my head around to see Youngmin with the book in hand, grinning.

“Psh, showoff,” I sneered.

“Do you want this or not? Because insulting me is not a way for me to give this to you.” He waved the book back and forth.

He won. “Can you please give me the book?”

“And, what else?” He was totally enjoying my pain.

“Please give me the book oh handsome, wise Youngmin.” I rolled my eyes. That was something he forced upon me when we were talking while walking to the library.

He handed me the book. “That’s more like it!” He gave off a goofy smile.

“Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” I read the title. Why did my mom choose this book? I opened the front cover. On the first page, little numbers were written on the corner.

“What’s so special about this book,” he asked me.

“I don’t know but I’m about to find out.” I close the book and look up at him. “Thank you.” He stared at me.

“What are you staring at me for?” I was a bit intimidated. How can one person go for so long without blinking?

“Nothing. You just reminded me of someone,” he replied.

“I’m going to go check this out then,” I informed him and left for the check-out desk.

____________________________///_______________________________

 

 “Ah, I’m so tired.” I stretch my arms.

“I’m so stressed nowadays because of school.” Youngmin yawned right next to me. We walked out of the school. “I want to go to the sea!”

I look at him, nodding my head in agreement. The load of homework plus the whole princess thing was stressful. “Then let’s go!” I smile and take his arm, dragging him away.

“The sea is like 5 hours away from here though!”

 ____________________________///_______________________________

 

“It’s not the sea but I guess this will do.” Both of us stood in front of the Han River Park. Water shot out high into the air from the ground.

“How do you even know this place? Didn’t you move to Korea not too long ago?” He asks.

“I saw it on City Hunter,” I say as if it was the most obvious thing ever. “How else would I know about this place?”

“Let’s go!” We both run through the water. The water was freezing cold even in the hot weather. Youngmin tugged on my arm so I could fall right above one of the water that was shooting out from the ground, soaking me completely. For revenge, I asked one of the children with a water gun if I could borrow it for a second. With the water gun full, I chased him around. In the end, he got a hold of the water gun, my revenge backfiring on me.

“This wasn’t how it was supposed to be!” I yell while trying to avoid the stream of water from the water gun. I did a horrible job of it.

After a few hours, we were both drenched. On the side, we both laid on the grass to dry off.

“Why did you come to Korea?” He turned to lie on his side, his hand supporting his head.

“I didn’t have a choice,” I told him.

“Sure you do. Everyone has a choice,” he replied.

“Well, I’m not everyone.”

“I don’t understand you,” he pouted.

I turn my head to face him, my eyes squinting a bit from the bright sun. “Then don’t understand me. It’s as simple as that.” I support myself up with my arms. “I don’t exactly lead a normal life.”

“Are you a secret spy?” He asks from nowhere.

“… Yes, I am a secret spy sent from Russia and my mission is to infiltrate the Korean government.”

“I KNEW IT!” I smack his head.

“You know, you can be cute if you don’t open that mouth of yours.” I dust off some grass from my shirt. I look up but flinch back because Youngmin’s face was dangerously close to mine.

“So you think I’m cute?” He smirked.

“You can be; but you’re not my style.” I push his face away. I get up from my spot. “It’s late. I think we should go home now.”

 ____________________________///_______________________________

 

“Why are you soaking wet?” Eunmi looked up from her magazine with one eyebrow raised.

“I was playing in the water,” I shrug and go to the bathroom to get a towel.

“What?! And you didn’t invite me?” She whined.

“How old are you again?” I come out of the bathroom. This time, my eyebrow was raised in amusement. I open the entrance door to reveal a dripping Youngmin.

“And who are you?” Eunmi stood up from the couch, obviously interested in the handsome boy in front of her apartment.

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Jo Youngmin, a classmate of Eunchae’s.” I give him the towel.

She gave me a look- THE look. “I didn’t know Eunchae had a friend… with blond hair.” Oh, that was so not what she wanted to say!

“Anyways,” I try to push my cousin out of the way, “He needs to go. I was just giving him a towel so he can dry off a bit.”

“Okay. I’ll leave you two alone then.” What was that suppose to mean?!

“Sorry about that. You can keep the towel if you want.” I offered.

“I’ll be going now. Thanks for the towel.” He slightly raises his towel and leaves.

I go back into the apartment only to have Eunmi pounce on me. I swear, she has claws.

“KIM EUNCHAE! You have some explaining to do!”

Oh, dear.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

I really hope you guys understand the whole water thing. I watched it on City Hunter. Ever since then, it's on my list of places to visit when I go to Korea! Recently, I played in a really small one and it was so much fun so I incorporated into the fanfic! If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm sorry... I'll post a picture for you guys to get an actual visual of my poor explanation.