Chapter One

Oasis

“Mommy, how come grandpa never wants to see us? Does he hate us?”

“Eunchae dear, it’s not that. It was something I had done in the past that made your grandfather upset.”

“What did you do?”

“I married your father.” My mother gave a soft smile.

“Dad? Did grandpa not like dad?”

“It wasn’t that grandpa didn’t like dad. He wasn’t exactly who grandpa had in mind as mommy’s husband.”

“I don’t understand.”

“One day, you will understand everything Eunchae. You will soon…” My mother cradled me into her chest, tears gently falling down her cheeks.

 

My eyes shot open while I gasp for air. I waited for my eyes to adjust to the darkness of the room and searched frantically for anything familiar in sight. I the lights as soon as I remind myself of where I am. The door opened to reveal Eunmi, my cousin.

“I heard you from my room. Are you okay?” I stare at her like I had no clue who she was.

“I-I’m fine. I just had a dream, that’s all.” I manage to muster out.

“Was it that dream again? The one about your mother?” She comes to sit on the edge of my bed. I nod.

It was that dream again. I was five years old. It was after a huge fight my parents had- about my grandfather. This wasn't unusual. From time to time, I had heard my parents argue about my grandfather; however, this fight had been the worst one so far. My mother was crying in her room, and I went to comfort her. Back then, I had absolutely no clue what my mom was saying. She was mumbling on and on about grandpa but I didn’t stop her. It was the most she had ever said about my grandfather. She told me that I was going to be able to understand soon while hugging onto me tightly, as if I'd disappear into thin air if she let go. Understand what? I never got to ask. A few days later, my parents had been involved in a hit-and-run. They died immediately after they were taken to the hospital. Ever since then, I have been living under the care of my cousin, Eunmi.

As I got older, everything became so clear. My past, my parents’ past, and I came to learn to who I really was.

“Mr. Song called again. He wanted to tell you that you have an appointment for tomorrow at 10 with your grandfather.” Eunmi said apologetically.

Ugh. I bury my face into my pillow. I am probably the only granddaughter who has to set up an appointment to meet her grandfather.

 ____________________________///_______________________________

-Palace-

“You know why I called you, right?” The King stared down at the boy kneeling in front of him.                   

“Yes, your Majesty.”

“You do understand your task, right?”

“Yes.”

“Very well then. Don’t make me regret this.” The young boy nodded and retreated from the room.