Chapter Two

Oasis

“Your Majesty, the princess has arrived.” Mr. Song led me into the room. In the middle of the spacious room sat my grandfather in a throne, looking high and mighty. Grandfather dismissed Mr. Song and beckoned me closer. I stepped forward only a little, keeping my distance from him.

“Dear, how is Korea treating you?” He asked me.

“I want to go back to America.” I ignored him.

“You know well that I can’t do that.” A frown appeared.

“Well, you also know that I won’t be taking the throne.” I retorted back, crossing my arms across my chest. A sigh left from my grandfather’s lips.

“What is it that you have against me?” He looked at me straight in the eye. For a second, I wavered. His eyes were full of guilty and sorrow when he looked at me.

“T-the day you banned my parents from Korea was the day that you no longer became my grandfather.” I manage to get out, trying to regain my composure.

“I had no choice Eunchae. It’s all in the past. I am sorry for my actions in the past. Now, please, don’t be stubborn and come into the Palace. I already have everything set for you! Your own room, your own servants, and everything you could wish for! After a year or so, you can be eligible to take the throne and marry the boy I have picked out for you.” Woah, back up for a second.

“Wait, what? Marry? As in MARRIAGE? No one told me anything about marriage!” I was furious.

“Well, once you take the throne, you will have to marry sooner or later. It’s all a part of the tradition.”

“I’m 17. I’m not going to marry some arrogant bastard that you set me up with.”

“Watch your mouth young lad-“

“You’re ing crazy.” I whisper loud enough for him to hear me. It was as if time stopped around us. He stared at me with an unreadable expression. After what felt like an hour, he started to speak again.

“If you can prove to me that you know what true love is in a year, you are free to do whatever you want.” What was he playing at? This old man had something up his sleeves and I didn’t like it. I stared at him for a while before shaking my head. I left the Palace right after.

 

________________________///__________________________

 From his room in the Palace, he watched the retreating figure of Kim Eunchae. Judging from how she was stomping out angrily, it was obvious the King had succeeded in getting Eunchae to agree with the deal. He picked up the lilac flower that was sitting on the windowsill and began to fiddle around with it. He brought the lilac close to his nose, the strong scent of flower arising in the air.

“It’s been a long time Eunchae.” He whispered before letting the flower fall to the ground.

 

_________________________///__________________________

“It has been more than a week since the returned princess has set foot on Korea. What’s mysterious is that no one has ever seen the princess- not even the workers of the Palace. Rumors of the princess running away have been shot down by officials of the Palace however citizens believe otherwise.  Stay tuned as we go out on the streets of Seoul to ask the citizens of Korea on their thoughts of the princess.”

Click. The T.V faded into a black screen.

“Stupid news reports.”

“It’s amazing how you weren’t found out by the press Eunchae.” Eunmi said while scrolling down the long comments of netizens on the returned princess. “Want to read some of these?”

“Yeah, well the Palace assured me that they were doing everything to keep my identity on the down-low for now and no thanks. I don’t want to read anything right now.” I got up from the couch and went into my room. I didn’t bother turning on the lights. I sat on my bed, staring at nothing particular. After a while, I picked up my phone and dialed in a familiar number.

“Mr. Song, tell grandpa that I accept but I have some conditions.” With that, I hung up. We’ll see who wins.