Chapter Three

Oasis

“Your Majesty, the press has found out about the… truth of Princess Kyung’s death. Would you like me to take care of it?”

“Make sure the press doesn’t release the story. Bribe them, threaten them, I don’t care what you do. We can’t let the public know how she died.”

“Yes, your Majesty. And what should I do about Princess Eunchae?”

“Leave her to be, for now. She’ll be of great use when she’s older.” Mr. Song bowed and left the room. Grandpa walked over to the picture of mom that hung from the wall. He silently looked at the picture. He lifted his hand and carefully caressed the frame as if his daughter was actually there.

“Kyungee-ah. You should have listened to me.” He sounded angry. Suddenly, he punched the picture causing millions of glass pieces to fly all over the room. I flinched from behind the couch I was hiding from. I clasped my hands over my mouth to prevent any sound that dared to come out. Once grandpa had left, I wobbled out from my hiding spot and walked over to the ruined picture frame. The tiny pieces of glass were ruining the new shoes I was wearing but it didn’t matter. Once I was in front of the picture, I looked up to see my mother’s face staring down at me.

“I don’t understand. What was grandpa saying? Mom, w-what was grandpa saying? Did he kill y-you and dad, mom?” Tears threatened to fall from my eyes. I couldn’t bear it anymore and buried my face into my hands, the tears falling freely now.

 

“Hey, Eunchae. We’re already here.” I turned to look at my cousin. She pointed outside the window. I turned my head to see a massive building in view. Students in neatly ironed uniforms were scurrying to get to class.

“I don’t get it. How’d you convince your grandfather to agree to this?”

“It’s a part of my condition for accepting the deal.”

“Even still! I didn’t think he’d agree.”

“I guess. This is the first stop of my plan.” I look at her. “Where else would a 17 year old girl look for love other than school?” I smirk at her direction and get out of the car. My cousin rolled down the window which allowed me to lean into the window.

“It also happens to be the school your parents attended.” She said matter-of-factly. My smirk faltered.

“I have to start somewhere Eunmi…” She gave a nod as if to say she knows.

“Have fun.” She waved at me. I turned to walk away when I remembered something.

“Hey Eunmi, I forgot to tell you something.” I leaned into the window again. “As a part of the deal, I’m forced to make an appearance at the ball that the Palace is hosting tonight. I put you down on the guest list.” I smiled. The look on her face was priceless. I should have taken a picture.

“W-what? Eunchae! It’s so last minute! I can’t-“ I cut her off.

“You’ll be fine! I’ll see you later.” I walk off to my new school, Seoul Arts Academy. I could hear Eunmi’s frantic voice still calling out after me.

________________________///__________________________

“Class, we have a new student today. She’s from America- Chicago, to be exact. Let’s welcome Kim Eunchae.” All eyes turned to stare at me. Well, this is a nice, warm welcome. “You can go sit over there in the back row.” The teacher pointed to an empty desk in the back. I felt like an animal put up for show at the zoo; everyone was just staring. I sit down in my seat and the teacher brought everyone out from the trance.

“Okay, last time, we were talking about the effects of the Korean govern-“The door abruptly opened, interrupting the teacher. In the doorway stood a young boy. He looked like he had been rushing to get here: shirt not tucked in, tie loosely tied, and a mess of blond hair. Despite the messy appearance, it didn’t stop the girls from squealing at his handsome boyish features.

“Jo Youngmin, you’re late again.”

“Sorry Ms. Lee. There was a cat stuck in a tree. I couldn’t just leave the poor creature there.” He topped it off with an innocent smile. Psh, like who was going to believe that?

“Youngmin! You’re so nice!” Apparently that girl in the front.

“Alright, take your seat. This is the last time though.” This so called Youngmin took his seat in the second row. All the girls were staring at him, bashing their eyelashes.

… Ew.

________________________///__________________________

“I cannot believe you Kim Eunchae! How dare you put my name on that list?!” That was the first thing I heard when I entered the apartment. Luckily, I didn’t drop the boxes I was holding. Eunmi was standing in front of the entranceway, arms on her hips- a definite sign of anger.

“It’s only a dance.” I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, a dance full of royals.” She looked tired arguing with me.

“Unnie, I really need you there. Please? For me?” That seemed to do it because her arms dropped down to her sides.

“I don’t even have anything to wear. What’s that you’re holding?” She points to the boxes.

“Thanks for asking sooner.” My tone was sarcastic. I smile and open one of the boxes to reveal a mess of pink fabric. Her face seemed to light up at the sight of the dress. I drag her into my room so that we can get ready for the ball tonight.

________________________///__________________________

-Palace-

“You are aware of your task tonight.” It seemed as if it was a question but no, to the King, it was a statement. The King looked down at the familiar boy. After the boy gave a sharp nod, he went to prepare for the ball.