Chapter Five

Oasis

“What are you doing here?”

A boy stared down at me, eyebrows furrowed. His blond hair was the first thing that struck me. However, his hair was the least of my worries; it was who he was.

… Youngmin?

He looked a big disgruntled. “What are you doing here?” He repeated.

“I-“ What was I going to say? I’m here because I’m the princess who’s looking for evidence on how my parents have really died- that seemed perfectly logical. Oh, and I also happen to be your new classmate. My hand shot up to the mask to make sure it was still secured on.

“I could ask you the same thing. Also, you should really put that on.” I eyed the forgotten mask he was holding.

“Why? Your eyes can’t handle my devilishly handsome face?” He gave off a confident smirk.

“That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard whole day. What are YOU doing here?” I smiled back, teasing him.

“I got lost.” He shrugged, breaking his gaze on me.

“Oh, like anyone is going to believe that.” I snorted.

“So what’s your reason for being up here?” He shot back.

I had nothing. “I- I got lost.” My cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

He gave off a heart-felt laugh. “Oh, like anyone is going to believe that.” He was mocking me!

“Whatever.” I push him out of my way and make it out to the hallway. Before I left, he grabbed my arm again.

“Hey, wait! At least tell me your name. I think I deserve to know the damsel in distress I saved tonight.”

Instead of answering, I took the mask from his hand and put it on him. My fingers lightly brushed his right cheek before I pulled away.

“Thank you.” I turn around to leave, not looking back once.

 

 ____________________________///_______________________________

 

I slip into the seat next to my cousin. She looked fairly surprised at my return.

“Where were you?! Your grandfather started questioning on your whereabouts. I think I used the bathroom excuse about five times; he was getting suspicious. Did you end up finding anything?”

I take out a piece of paper from my purse. “I found my mom’s diary. It was the only item I had time to look at. On the inside of the cover, it had this on it.” I show her the paper. In blank ink, the words ‘Seoul Arts Academy- E.1045’ were etched across the paper.

“E.1045… What does that mean?” Eunmi looked at me.

“No clue but it has something to do with the academy. Tomorrow, I’m going to find out what.” I take out another piece of ripped paper and hand it to her. “And this is the guy’s phone number you were talking to earlier.”

A big, goofy smile spread across her face. “Did you also know that he’s British?” I added. At that comment, she couldn’t sustain the squeal she was holding in; everyone in the room turned our way. Did I mention how much I love my cousin?

 ____________________________///_______________________________

 

The King and a boy were peering out a window.

“I’m sure you left a good impression on her.” The boy nodded. “Good, good. Your transfer to Seoul Arts Academy will be taken into action soon. Doesn’t your brother attend there as well?” The King turned to the boy.

“Yes, he does.”

“Anyways, I trust you to get the deed done Kwangmin.” The King left after placing a hand on Kwangmin’s shoulder.

Kwangmin continued to peer out the window, watching all the guests leave the Palace. In particular, his eyes were following a certain girl.

“You haven’t changed a bit Eunchae.”

 ____________________________///_______________________________

 

E.1045… What could that mean?

I was walking aimlessly around the hallways during lunchtime. During the first half of school, I spent my whole time trying to figure out what E.1045 meant. My first guess was that it was a locker number. After first period was over, I went out to hunt for locker E.1045. To my disappointment, the lockers stopped at E.1020; so it wasn’t a locker number. What the heck did this number mean? In my own little world, I didn’t happen to catch a certain blond walking in front of me. I crashed into him, my books falling all over the floor.

“I’m sorry.” I kneel on the ground to gather my belongings. As I reached out for the last book, someone had already grabbed it and handed it to me. I looked up to see Youngmin with my book in hand. I take it while muttering a soft ‘thanks’. As I look at him again- this time, more closely- I see dark circles prominently under his eyes.

“Did you not get enough sleep or anything?” I stare at the dark circles.

“What?” He was bewildered.

I pointed them out. “Dark circles.” He was utterly confused. After some time he finally opened his mouth.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

“What…?”

“You know, love at first sight.” He let out a big sigh while walking back and forth.

“I don’t know!”

He stopped right in front of me. “The thing is how can a handsome guy like me possibly fall in love at the age of 17? I still have a lot more girls to woo, a lot more girls to date, and a bunch of other stuff!” He puffed up his cheeks.

“Wow.” I started.

“I know! You can’t believe it either right?!”

“I can’t believe a person can be so narcissistic.” I scrunch up my face but he ignored me.

He bent down and picked up a piece of paper- probably something of mine. “What’s this?” He opened up the paper. “Seoul Arts Academy- E.1045.” He read out loud. “Is this your locker or something?” He turned to me.

“No, it’s something I’m looking for. I don’t know what the numbers stand for. I thought it might have been a locker number but it wasn’t.”

His eyebrows furrowed as if he was thinking something. “It might be a number for a book.” I stare at him. “You know the code on the books in the library?” He slowly continued.

“Oh my god! You’re a genius!” I shout and snatch the paper from his hands. “Thank you so much!” I turn around to leave but halt in mid-step. I turn back to face him.

“Where’s the library..?”