Why yes, yes I do have $10

My Debts Paid

‘Ugh! Why does Seoul have to be so confusing?!’ you sighed exasperated.  

You were wondering around with a map in your hand (probably standing out as a major tourist), not understanding any of the signs posted around you.

‘Maybe going site seeing alone was a bad idea…’ you thought. It was only your first week in Korea and you wanted to experience it fully but having someone who could read and understand Korean was needed for that to happen. Sighing you folded up the map and decided to just let your legs take you wherever.

You were on an exchange program from the States. You chose Korea, one because your college offered it, two because you wanted to get out and experience something new, and three because you had recently discovered Korean dramas, music, and culture. It all fascinated you and you wanted to live up your experience while you had the time. The exchange program was only a year and you hoped that was enough to at least gain a basic knowledge of Korean otherwise you were screwed.

You had read that Korea was hot but you were still not prepared for the temperature. You wiped your sweaty face and grimaced. You could not understand why all the Koreans here were not sweating, you looked around and even saw a couple of business men in suits, they were fanning themselves but not a single drop of sweat fell from them, whereas you were in shorts and a t-shirt dripping. Apparently all the blogs you read about waygooks living in Korea were true. Koreans had a special block against the heat.

The temperature was making you thirsty so you went to find the nearest convenience store for something to drink.  Unable to read the labels you looked for the nearest container that looked like water. As you were going up to pay you noticed a man standing by the counter. He was speaking in Korean to the cashier and he seemed apologetic. You went up behind him in line and you realized that he must have forgotten his money. On closer inspection you noticed his outfit and hair. He was dressed in casual black skinny jeans with black studded high top shoes. To top it off he was in a dark blue polo shirt with a lighter shade jacket over him. His hair was an unusual shade of silver something you had never seen before in Korea, that was until now. Just looking at him you started sweating ‘How can he handle that outfit’  you thought. Then he turned toward you, leaving behind the stuff that he wanted, and you realized it was T.O.P of Bigbang fame. Bigbang was one of the first K-Pop groups you had fallen in love with; the Haru Haru video was so powerful and you instantly fell in love with them when you saw it. You had a quick fan girl moment in your head, mentally screaming ‘OH MY GOD!!!!!’ Quickly you set your water on the counter and pulled out 10,000 won (basically $10) enough to pay for both of your items.  Seeing what you had done he started talking in Korean shaking his head and motioning that you didn’t have to do that. In English you answered hoping he understood, “It’s alright really.”

Figuring out you didn’t speak Korean he answered in English “Thank you, you did not have to do that.”

Smiling you answered, “It’s no problem, really.” Then thirsty you took a gulp from your water bottle in the process you ended up spilling water all over your shirt. You knew instantly that your face was turning an unpleasant shade of red. You glanced up slowly and watched as Top averted his eyes and covered his mouth with his hand pretending to wipe something while holding in his laughter. Embarrassed you started to walk away quickly. Top quickly coughed and exclaimed, “Juhgiyo… Um I mean excuse me?” Sheepish you turned around, “Yeah?”

“I want to pay you back.” He looked quickly at his watch and exclaimed “Omo - I’m running late!” He started walking toward the door. “Do you think you can meet me at the YG building around 7? You know where it is right?”  He checked his watch again and not wanting to make him any later you just nodded your head. You watched as he quickly bowed and said “Kamsamnida” and walked out.

You were left standing with your mouth open. You couldn’t believe it you had met a member of Bigbang and not just any member but Top! You started doing a little jig and then remembering where you were you looked back at the cashier smiled awkwardly and high-tailed it out of there. Suddenly you stopped in your tracks, ‘Where is the YG building anyway???’ you thought. ‘Great…’ you looked quickly at your iPod checking the time; it was six already so you had an hour to find the building. ‘Shouldn’t be too hard right?’ you quickly raked your hand through your hair, you might have just blown your chance to see Top again by being an idiot. Sighing you decided to just to find someone who knew how to get there.

Not sure who to ask you just went up to the nearest person. “Um excuse me?”  A woman turned toward you and shook her head rapidly talking in Korean. You got the jist that she didn’t speak English. You sighed and bowed a bit and continued on your way. You talked to a few more people and gathered from several that it was a short drive away. A man even pointed on your map where it was, you just hoped he pointed in the right direction. You hailed down a taxi and were able to show him where you needed to go. You didn’t know if he understood you completely but he was able to speak some broken English affirming he knew where you wanted to go.  The taxi sped off and you held on for dear life. He dropped you off ten minutes later. You got out and looked around but you didn’t see any YG building. “Excuse me but where is the building?”

“Right, right, go right.” You watched as he pointed and then drove off. You looked to your right and saw a couple of restaurants and a gas station. Unsure of what else to do you just went right. Looking at the time you saw you only had 5 minutes left. You started looking around for some sort of sign or something. You found yourself in front of a building that looked newer than the rest. It was an oval shape and looked very modern. You pulled out your map to see if you had found the YG building. Not paying attention you didn’t notice the black van that pulled up in front of the building. You looked up at the building and started walking backwards to get a better view. Then suddenly you felt yourself bump into someone. You turned around quickly to see a guy fall down.

“Oh! I’m so sorry!” you exclaimed. “I wasn’t looking where I was going please forgive me!”

The guy quickly burst out with, “dangsini bogo danyeo!” He pushed himself up and that’s when you saw his face. You couldn’t believe it, you just ran into G-Dragon!!! ‘AH!!!! I’m so stupid I just shoved GD!!!’ you were panicking inside your head and you knew you had turned a lovely shade of red.  You started backing up too shocked to do anything else and ended up tripping on your shoes. You felt yourself fall backwards and put your hands back to catch yourself. You expected to hit hard pavement but you landed inside a van and on top of someone. Opening your eyes slowly you looked up into a very surprised Top. You jumped up fast and hit your head against the ceiling.

“Omo! Are you alright?” Top exclaimed as you fell back again into his lap.

“Ah! I’m sorry.” You said wincing in pain. ‘This would happen to me!’ you were thoroughly embarrassed and wanted to crawl in a hole and hide.  Realizing you were still on Top you quickly looked at him and got out careful not to hit your head again.  Top got out followed by Seungri, Daesung, and Taeyang. Seeing them all at once you knew they witnessed your humiliation. ‘….!!!!!!!!!!’

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to land on top of you!” you bowed several times.

“It’s alright. Are you okay? You seemed to hit your head hard.” Top looked at you pointing to where your hand cradled your head.

“I’m fine really I have a strong head.” You smiled sheepishly ready to move on to another subject. Through all the commotion you had forgotten you originally ran into G-Dragon. You spun suddenly to see him standing with his arms folded.

“Ah G-Dragon I’m sorry too! I wasn’t looking where I was going please forgive me.” In your apology you bowed 90 degrees. You looked up slightly to see a smirk on his face.

Then smiling brightly he said, “It’s alright. I think your fall was worse than mine.” Suddenly you realized that you were standing between all of the Bigbang members.‘Is this really happening?’ as you thought that a bunch of fans from across the street rushed over. It was chaos and suddenly Top grabbed your arm and you and the rest of the members were ushered into the doors of YG. As soon as you were inside the lobby Top let go of your arm. “Sorry but I didn’t want you to get left behind, I still have to pay you back.”

“Oh, Hyung! Is this the girl that lent you the money for our drinks?” Seungri suddenly turned to you and smiled. “Hi. Hyung never told us your name.”

You looked at Top then at Seungri, “Well I never told him my name.”

Seungri lightly hit Top on the shoulder, “Hyung you didn’t even ask her name! I’m sorry he’s not always that polite.” Top gave Seungri a death glare which made you laugh.

“It’s okay really, my name is _______.” GD and Taeyang started walking toward the elevator and Top motioned you to follow. Seungri continued talking. ‘He is definitely very sociable.’

“_______ nice to meet you, I’m Seungri, that’s Daesung, Taeyang, GD, and you’ve met Top.” You watched as he nudged Top in the side. You all entered the elevator and went up to the third floor. Suddenly you felt a sharp pain in your head.

“_______ are you alright?” Seungri looked at you as you held your head.

Daesung spoke up and said, “Maybe we should get her an ice pack. I’ll go get it.” He quickly walked down the opposite end of the hall as you and the rest of the members entered a very spacious looking rec. room. You saw a pool table, a foosball table, and a ping pong table. And of course a LCD tv with a PS3 and Xbox. A couple of arcade games sat in the corner along with a couple of very fluffy looking couches.

“You should sit here.” Seungri led you to one of the couches and fluffed up a cushion for you.

You smiled at him, you got to see the cute maknae in person and you understood why everyone thought he was adorable.  You sat down and Seungri sat next to you. Top sat across on the opposite couch along with Taeyang and GD.

“So you must be a fan of Bigbang.” You looked at Taeyang confused ‘How would he know I’ve never told them?’ Taeyang must have seen your confusion because he explained. “We saw a video that Top took of you at the convenience store.” Taeyang, GD, and Seungri all started laughing hysterically. You looked at Top confused he avoided your eyes and hid a smile.

“What video?” for some reason you started feeling nervous. 

Taeyang looked at Top and pulled out his phone, “Here let me show you.” Then you watched as Top suddenly ripped Taeyang’s phone out of his hand and hid it in his pocket.

He started talking to Taeyang in Korean sounding annoyed. Seungri then laughed and said something that made Top turn red and the rest started laughing at him.

“No but seriously what video are you talking about?”

G-Dragon quickly remarked “It’s nothing forget Youngbae’s remark he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.” You tried to protest again but Daesung came in with the ice pack and gently pressed it against your head.

“Does that help?” You looked up at him and your breath caught. Daesung’s smile was a million times better in person. 

“Yeah thank you.” You started blushing because you knew you had stared too long at him.  Embarrassed you looked down. Suddenly Seungri said, “Jungmal guiyuhwoon!”  and pinched your cheeks. “Hyung you should’ve brought her to me as soon as you met her she’s so cute!”  That made you even more embarrassed and you couldn’t look at any of them.

“Alright Seungri I think you’re done.” G-Dragon grabbed Seungri and hauled him off, to Seungri’s protests “Hyung! I haven’t exchanged numbers with her yet!”

Taeyang stood up and said “It’s been nice meeting you.” then he followed G-Dragon and Seungri out of the room. Daesung showed off his amazing smile again, “If you hurt your head again let me know.” He then walked out too.

You were left in the room with Top and it instantly became awkward. He had paid you back more than you had given him, he let you meet the other members and see the YG building, and you would be happy to not get any money back. 

Top suddenly stood and up and said, “Let me take you home now.”  Caught off guard you stood up and awkwardly followed him out of YG and into a black van. You were confused to see Top follow you into the back of the van and a staff member (you assumed the official YG driver) get in the driver’s seat. Top saw the confusion on your face and coughed embarrassed, “I… don’t have my license yet.”

You could tell your face showed shock but pulling it together you replied, “I’m glad I’m not the only one! Everyone in my class has a license except me!”  You smiled at Top and he showed the killer smile that made fan girl’s hearts melt everywhere ‘Including mine!’

“So where do you live?”

“Oh I stay in the dorms at Yonsei University.” Top raised his eyebrows like he was impressed. Top quickly spoke to the driver in Korean and then you were off. The ride was shorter than you expected and you were suddenly saddened. You were at least glad you got to meet and spend time with Bigbang. That alone was all the experience you wanted from Korea.

“Thank you for dropping me off and letting me spend time with you guys.” You smiled, bowed and turned to go.

“Wait I have to pay you!” You turned back and watched Top search for his wallet.

“Omo- I think I forgot it I’m sorry…”

“It’s alright really you paid me back more than I needed.” You bowed again and were about to leave again.

“Wait do you have a cell phone?” You’re face must have showed surprise. “I was thinking I could call you the next time to pay you back, I don’t like being in debt to people so I must pay you back.”

“Uh… I don’t have one yet, I was going to get one later this week…”

“Well why don’t I give you mine and you call or text me?” ‘Wow he really must not like owing someone.’

“Okay…” You were screaming in your head, Top was going to give you his number!

“Here let me write it down. Oh and please don't give it out” He scrawled it down on a CD lying in the van and gave it to you.

“Thank you.” You took it carefully afraid he would see you shaking you couldn’t believe it. And why would you give it out, the fangirl in you wanted to keep Top to yourself.

“Boayo.” Top gingerly waved and shut the door. You watched in a haze until you couldn’t see the van anymore. You looked at the CD and smiled it was Bigbang’s 2010 live concert. ‘I like how they have these just lying around.’ You smiled and hugged it close.