.4

smiling memento

“ sunbae……. He… did it. He proposed.”

Another day flew by as ljoe sat alone at the small garden within the house. Sounds of heavy raindrops crashing against the zinc roof were like a painful flashback for the blonde haired lad. It was the week before Ahn had passed away, the specific week where byung had let go of the singing angel so that he could fly and reach his dreams.

That excruciating week where lee byung hun had found out who niel’s heart truly belongs. No. he knew all the way but he never wanted to hear it from daniel’s lips. Because then it would really be over.

 

Proposed

 

Tears cascades down as joe’s jaw clamped tight to hide the loud sobs. He didn’t even know who he was crying for anymore. His heart was muddied by the emotions and flooded by his own guilt.

 

“ nn..niel’ah…..  "               

"haha what is this. I loved you…. More than anything..”

“bb..but what is this ahn Daniel. How could this be.”

“how could I tear apart the world of two magnificent person. How could I ….”

“and to think that he makes me flutter. How low can I go. Even when I proudly say to you that I loved you more”

 

Like a fast paced river, tears streamed down the boy’s face as his jammed lips slightly gave away and the wails were finally heard. He felt like he murdered niel. Worst he felt like he had destroy chanhee’s life, when he finally knew of the boy’s kindness. His heart had never wavered but the moment he saw chunji’s smile…..

 

The world felt different.

What was love? Ljoe was completely lost and he was convinced that his heart was filled with lust. Hoarding up a mountain of disgust, he hated his own guts so bad he could tear them out.

Byung’s wails and sobs were filling the air. So much that the boy had not realized that lee chanhee had heard every single word he had said. Trembling, chunji’s limbs gave away as he fell to the ground. Kneeling weak beside a picture of him and niel.

 

A small puddle of tears stained the floor as chanhee’s clenched fist reddens with fast hot blood flow. His heart was sprinting on agony. The betrayal was showering a deathly plague on the boy’s heart.

But what was worst, that it came from a newborn hope. A hope that had walk inside chunji’s hollow world. Indeed ljoe was once considered as chanhee’s salvation.

 

A sick grin painted clear on the brown haired boy’s face as he looked straight at the image of Ahn Daniel.

 

“ traitor… that was always who you really were. Just like the mockery I had to swallow”

 


 

when its all over, hopefully you’d still see me sunbae. Because I would miss that dummy smile of yours bad”

 

Late niel had spoken of separation with so much ease that at moment lee byung sworn that he would never see the deceased lad ever again. That the moment he had finished speaking, ljoe had turned around coldly never sparing the younger lad one last look.

It was one of the biggest mistake lee byung had made. Because that one last look was all he had left with and just like he had let that chance slip away from his fingers.

 

“lee byung ssi. Would you like to visit danny now?”

“its been a while since you’ve been here and I think the main purpose of your long journey was to visit our danny right.”

“ yes… let’s visit him. Its about time I see him right”

 

Joe smiled bitterly as he held the bronze music note charm within the gaps of his fingers. The first present he had received from neil way back when they first loved in high school. When young love was something sweet and weightless.

But something was different about chunji. The puffy and bloodshot eyes, red nose and the sniffs. He looked like he cried just as bad the night before. Byung stared silently at the pretty lad as they made their way to the cemetery.

 

Through the dense forest and trees, the sun was flooding over the whole place. Sunlit beautifully lays a grave beside a pine tree. It was niel’s. placed perfectly amongst the wild flowers and wide green field.

 

“danny’ah we’re here.”

 

Chunji grinned wide as he placed the white lilies beside the perfectly sunlit grave. A drop of tear escaped the rims of the lad’s eyes the moment his hand touches the golden ground. The longing was just as strong as the breezy wind grazing against his frozen skin.

 

“cc..could you… maybe…”

“I’ll be back after few minutes. Take your time byung ssi”

 

Byunghun bowed low as he watches the back of chanhee disappear into the dense trees. Then as if all his strength had left, the boy’s bum crashed on the ground. Falling rather weary and soulless as he caresses the ground. Tears flooded the boy’s eyes again.

 

“im here niel’ah. Did u miss my dummy smile?”

“well I do. Seems like everything I do only remind me of yo…”

“ i.. miss you. You bastard.”

“an..d im sorry. Sunbae is so so sorry…..”

“ its all my fault. If on..ly I didn’t send u to that stupid aud..tion.. you..”

“yo… you’d be happily married with chanhee right?”

“then both of you would smile. Your fishy smile and…….”

“ his smile too. God.. I missed it.”

“ if only I could take your place, you wouldn’t die and chanhee too…”

“ he wouldn’t cry too.”

 

He wanted to die. Not to be with niel but rather to return the smile that he felt he had snatched away from both of niel and chunji. Because at moment, lee byung’s heart was torn perfectly into two and chunji had meant more than he could ever imagine. Six days was all the time he needed to be in love.

 

Even more than when he was with niel. The late boy was correct. That the moment byung laid eyes on chanhee, his heart would waver and flutter. That the world would finally make sense.

 

“you would love him more than you had ever love me, sunbae”

 

Shaking he kneeled desperately and apologized again and again. Still never noticing the presence of chanhee who was watching him from afar. Holding in a thousand pieces of a shattered heart.

 

“are you done lee byung ssi?”

 

The blonde haired lad charged up as he wipes the traces of tears and looked at chunji who was expressionless. Chanhee’s face was as blank as the grey skies.

 

“yy..yes. Im done…”

“then leave”

“i… need you to leave lee byung ssi. Please, just… disappear.”

 

Tears were casually pouring out of chanhee’s eyes. His face spelled no emotions but the hollow tears showed perfectly how broken the boy was.