Je t'aime

Symptoms

 

 

Jung Soojung bursts back into her classroom. Breathing hard, her hair a windswept mess, eyes wider than baseballs, looking like a crazy woman. “Ms. Jung,” her teacher gasps, “What seems to be the matter?” Soojung tries to breathe as she pants out, “It’s Sulli,” between breaths, “I-I think I made her faint.” Sulli wakes up to white washed walls and the scent of sterilization hanging on her body. A second later she feels the hand she’s been holding for a day and a half squeeze, and she peers to her left.

 

Your cold eyes digs into my heart, cutting deeply through the center. 

 

The obvious spike in the rate of her heart monitor does not go unnoticed by Soojung. “Sulli?” Her voice is softer than velvet running through fingers, and it goes straight to Sulli’s heart.

 

Your cold eyes digs into my heart, cutting deeply through the center.

 

She can feel everything speeding up and slowing down again.

 

If I don’t cure this wound, I might die, I might go crazy, I don’t know what will happen.

 

“The doctors said that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with you.” 

 

The sickness that is you, the worse it gets, the more exhausted I get but the only medicine is you.

 

“But I can’t help but have noticed your actions all this time.” Soojung’s thumb gently rolls over Sulli’s, a sweet gesture, “I think I know what’s going on.”

 

If I can’t have you, I might die, I might go crazy, I don’t know what will happen.

 

Soojung stands from the stiff hospital chair she spent the night in, and leans over the other girl, “I know what’ll cure you.”

 

The only medicine is you.

 

Soojung maintains strong eye contact with the trembling girl as she lowers her lips to Sulli’s mouth, watching Sulli’s reaction and listening to the racing beeps of her heart monitor. 

 

I can’t live if I lose you.

 

The words scream in Sulli’s mind, and pop out as soon as the two break apart. “I can’t live if I lose you.” But this time, it is not Sulli who thinks it. It’s Soojung as she leans back in for a deeper kiss, reassured with the tug of fingers in her hair and the constant beating of the machine in the background. "I love you."