Jiyong...

100 Days with a Celebrity

Day 71

 

Jiyong stared at his watch as it ticked past midnight. His worry had grown as he still hadn’t found Dara yet. He had been looking for her for half an hour and what he got were only worsening coughs and cold.

 

“Dara, where are you?!” he shouted at the empty streets, feeling frustrated.

 

He panted as he placed his hands on his knees, staring at his shoes as if they could give him an answer. He tried to rack his brain for answers though. He was pretty sure she didn’t run away because of the fight. How petty could she get if that was the main reason? He was pretty sure she got lost, considering how clumsy she was. If I was Dara, where would I go? He thought as he straightened up.

 

Lots of possibilities entered his mind, ranging from a night club, the number one thing he was avoiding, to a random stranger’s house, where that stranger might not have clean motives. Considering how clueless and frail she looked, she might be taken advantage over.

 

He shivered at the thought. He shook his head, trying to erase the scary image.

 

“She must be so scared right now,” he muttered. Suddenly, an idea came to his mind – an idea where she could be staying right at this moment, where she could feel comfort. “How did I miss it?!” he asked no one in particular as he started to run towards a particular direction.

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

Dara shivered. “It’s getting cold,” she said and then sneezed. “And I’m starting to catch a cold.”

 

She stared at the cloudy night sky which stopped pouring the bitter coldness of the snow.

 

“At least I have the sky as my company,” she whispered. “Where are you, Ji—“

 

“DARA!”

 

Dara’s eyes widened as she heard a particular voice. It wasn’t familiar as it was hoarse. But she only knew of one person who had a hoarse voice right now.

 

Her head whipped behind her as she saw someone who was struggling as he ran towards her, he was almost falling.

 

“GD!” she called after him as she stood up, holding on to the paper bag she had been clutching the whole night. “Why are yo—“

 

She was cut off as she was entrapped into an embrace. Her eyes widened and she gasped loudly as she felt the tightness of his embrace, almost breaking her fragile body.

 

“Thank goodness I found you,” Jiyong said, still not letting go of her.

 

It took Dara a moment before she could recover as she was taken aback by his action. She was even able to let go of the bag she had been holding on for so long that night, keeping in mind not to leave it anywhere – the bag that kept the reason why she took off in the middle of the concert, the reason they fought.

 

“Say something!” Jiyong screamed at her face as he held on to both of her shoulders. “YAH! ARE YOU DEAF?! ARE YOU MUTE?! DID THE WINTER COLD DO THIS TO YOU?!”

 

Dara rapidly blinked and snorted. “Aren’t you mad at me anymore?”

 

Jiyong’s lips formed a smile – a boyish smile – that made Dara’s heart beat crazily on her chest. Was this how fangirls feel when he smiles?

 

“I’m glad you’re fine,” he said and then hugged her once more. As he remembered something else, he pulled back and whacked her head. “WHERE DID YOU GO?! YOU MADE ME WORRIED SICK, IDIOT! YOU SHOULDN’T HAVE RUN OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONCERT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! ARE YOU THAT MAD AT ME?!”

 

Dara’s lower lip trembled as she stared back at Jiyong. She looked him up and down and realized he was wearing thin clothes, even a pair of the hotel slippers.

 

Jiyong gasped. “W-Why? Don’t cry! Don’t you dare cry!”

 

But his words were in vain as tears fell freely on her cheeks. “GDiot! I was feeling guilty that you were sick during the concert. I was feeling bad because I didn’t pack your stuffs properly causing you to get sick. I was feeling sad that you were mad at me,” she said and sniffed. “I’m sorry.”

 

“YAH! I TOLD YOU NOT TO CRY!”

 

“Stop shouting, GDiot! Listen to your horrible voice,” she continued on, still crying. “I made you worried and caused you to look for me, didn’t I? Your worsening condition is my fault as well, then.”

 

“Hey…” he said his voice now softer.

 

Dara laughed. “I don’t even know why I’m crying right now,” she said, wiping away her tears.

 

“Arasso, arasso… don’t cry,” Jiyong said, comforting her by hugging her once more. But she slightly pushed him as Dara bent down and picked something up. “What’s that?”

 

Dara opened the bag and pulled out a bright pink scarf. “The reason why we fought,” she said. She put it around his neck, cozily wrapping it on him. “This is the only thing I could afford.”

 

Jiyong looked down at the scarf wrapped around him and then to her, who was still fixing the scarf on him. An unknown feeling crept to him. What is this? Is this guilt I’m feeling?

 

“I hope you’re not mad at me anymore,” Dara said and looked up at him. He was still staring at her. Suddenly, he wiped the tears that were on her cheeks using the end of the scarf she just bought for her.

 

“Thank you…” he paused. “And I’m sorry.”

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

“AAAAHHHHHH!!!!” Daesung’s scream filled the entire room. “IT’S THE APOCALYPSE! I’M BEING PULLED INTO THE PITS OF THE EARTH!”

 

“YAH! Stop overreacting!” Jiyong whacked his head.

 

Hearing his voice, Daesung turned to him and relief washed over him. “I thought it was the apocalypse. It was just only you pulling on my leg,” he said with a smile. Realizing this, the smile wiped off his face. “YAH! WHY WERE YOU PULLING MY LEG? I MIGHT FALL!”

 

“Didn’t you say you wanted to transfer to TOP-hyung and Seungri’s room? Go on,” Jiyong nonchalantly said. “Bring your pillow and blankets with you.”

 

“Aish, arasso,” he said, standing up. Realizing once again what he said, he faced him. “Why are you kicking me out of this room?!”

 

“Kicking us out of this room,” Taeyang corrected. Daesung looked for him and he was already by the doorway. “Gosh, I was already fast asleep. I was shocked when Jiyong whacked my head with the pillow.”

 

“Jiyong-hyung?! Why?!”

 

“I told you GD, I’m fine. I can go back to the room quietly. Let Daesung and Taeyang sleep here already,” Dara said.

 

“Yeah. Dara’s right. Let me and Taeyang-hyung have our goo—UWAAAA?! DARA?!”

 

Dara waved her little hand at Daesung. “Sorry, guys. I already told GD but he wouldn’t listen.”

 

“He listens to nobody,” Taeyang said before stepping out of the room.

 

“Are you, guys… are you…” Daesung stuttered, as he stared at Jiyong’s hand enclosed around Dara’s wrist.

 

“Shut up and go to TOP-hyung’s room or else I’ll bring apocalypse to you,” Jiyong said.

 

“Alright, alright!” Daesung said. “Geez, he should have just said he wanted a room with Dara from the start,” he whispered.

 

“No, it’s not that!” Dara immediately tried to correct the misunderstanding.

 

“It’s alright. I understand, Dara!” Daesung said, winking at her. “Have a good night,” he said, giggling before stepping out of the room.

 

“Now they’re misunderstanding,” Dara said, her shoulders slumping. “I told you I’ll be fine. They might still be worried sick of me.”

 

“Let’s call them then,” Jiyong said.

 

“Wait, no! What are you going to tell them? Don’t tell I’m in your room,” Dara said, panicking.

 

“What should I tell them then? Shall I lie?”

 

Dara snatched the hotel phone from him and dialed the number of the staff’s hotel room. It was just the number of the hotel room and the call would be directed immediately. The phone rang twice before it was picked up.

 

“Hello? Any news about our staff?”

 

“Oh, hello, unnie. It’s me Dara.”

 

“DARA! Where are you? Gosh, we’re worried. Are you alright? Did someone kidnap you?”

 

Dara laughed. She found it amazing how there are people who got worried of her. “I’m fine unnie. I’m in my friend’s house. She invited me a while ago. She urgently called me a while ago during the concert. I thought it was something serious so I got out without permission. Sorry.”

 

“You have a Japanese friend?!”

 

“Ah, n-no. She’s Korean. Sh-She… moved to Japan a year ago,” she stuttered.

 

“Stupid Dara, you should have called earlier. We were worried sick. What shall I do with you?! Ugh… it’s frustrating.”

 

“I’m sorry, unnie. I’ll make it up to you guys. Maybe lunch when we go home to Korea?”

 

“Aish, arasso. Hang up now. It’s almost one in the morning. We still have a concert tomorrow.”

 

“Alright, unnie. Bye. Good night,” Dara said before she hung up the phone. “There.”

 

“What a smooth liar,” Jiyong commented, his eyes squinting at her.

 

“It wasn’t smooth. I was nearly found out. She wondered why I had a Japanese friend,” she said and sighed. “Can you… can you let go of my wrist now?”

 

“Are you going to run away again?” he asked.

 

“I won’t,” she said. “Not again. I won’t let you guys worry over me anymore,” she said as she held on to her wrist, massaging it from the tightness of his grip on it. “Poor Taeyang and Daesung… I told you I’ll be fine. Why do you insist of me to be in the same room as you?”

 

Dara stood there as she stared at him, awkwardly standing on his spot, looking anywhere but her.

 

“I don’t want you out of my sight again.”

 

Silence filled the room. Dara didn’t know what it was that made her heart beat rapidly on her chest, or that made her cheeks feel warmer even though it was cold, or that made her feel like air was knocked out of her chest. Maybe it was his words? Maybe it was the way he said them? Maybe it was the vague meaning behind them?

 

Whatever it was, it made her turn around rapidly on her heels while saying: “I’m going to check the hotel’s soap. I heard they smell nicer than what we have at home.”

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

Dara was snoring as she was sleeping on the other bed. It had been so long since she last slept on a comfortable bed. Back in the staffs’ room, she was sleeping on the floor among others because they were too many.

 

“D…Dara.”           

 

Dara’s eyes slowly opened.

 

“Dar…a.”

 

She got up and opened both her eyes. “GD? Were you calling me?”

 

When GD didn’t respond, she suddenly felt awake. She the side lamp and saw how much Jiyong was sweating on his sleep. It was a cold night but he was sweating.

 

“GD?” she called again. She held on to his sweaty forehead and realized he was burning with fever. “Oh my gosh. GD, you have a fever. We have to call the hosp—“

 

“No,” he briefly said, catching her by her wrist. “It’s cold. Don’t go anywhere.”

 

He wasn’t making sense as of the moment so her brows furrowed together. “I’m not going anywhere. I’m just calling for the hospital. We have to get you to the hospital.”

 

“I don’t want hospitals,” he just said as he pulled her towards him, hugging her tight. “Feels good.”

 

Dara was taken aback at how he was still able to pull her back even through his fever. She then realized how his clothes and blanket were drenched with sweat.

 

“Don’t take me to the hospital please. They won’t allow me to perform tomorrow if I went to the hospital.”

 

Right there, Dara realized how passionate he was on his job. Firstly, he said he would blame her if he wouldn’t be able to perform for his fans when they were fighting. Now, he refused to be brought to the hospital because they wouldn’t let him perform for tomorrow.

 

Dara sighed. “At least change your clothes.”

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

It was past four in the morning when Jiyong woke up. He was feeling slightly light-headed but he forced his eyes to open. The sight that welcomed him shocked him and he almost forgot that he was sick last night and there was only one person who stayed by his side. And that person was sleeping with her right hand clasped on his left. A smile formed on his lips.

 

“Thank you,” he whispered.

 

Dara’s eyes fluttered open. “Jiyong, you’re awake. How are you feeling? Is your head hurting? Are you feeling dizzy? Are you thirsty?” she asked while getting up. “Let me get you a glass of water.”

 

“Stay,” Jiyong said. And she did. He held on to her hand tighter and smiled at her.

 

“You’re scaring me.”

 

He chuckled. “Sorry,” he said. “I just… wanted to thank you.”

 

“You already said that numerous times a while ago.”

 

“I did?” he asked and she nodded. He must have been too feverish to even remember he already did. “Lie down again,” he said, patting the space beside him.

 

Dara complied, confused at his actions. He was still feverish as his hand was still burning but he told her not to do anything and she was supposed to comply with his orders right?

 

“You called me by my name just now,” Jiyong said.

 

Dara looked away, biting down on her lip. “You also told me numerous times to call you by your name.”

 

“I did?”

 

“Yes, and you were so frustrated then. It took me a lot of effort to do so, you know,” she said.

 

Jiyong smiled and ruffled her hair. “Good job then.”

 

Dara almost pulled her head back but his hand on his head felt comfortable. His saying ‘Good job’ which he hadn’t told her for those 71 days they had been together felt good. A smile formed on her lips.

 

“I just want to apologize for making you sick.”

 

“Aish, stop apologizing now will you? That pink scarf already made us okay, right? Stop blaming yourself.”

 

Dara breathed out. “I have something to tell you.”

 

“I’m all ears.”

 

“Thank you for coming for me. To be honest, I was really expecting you would come but at the same time I didn’t want you to or else you’d get sick. And you did.”

 

“Aish, I told yo—“

 

“Sssh,” she said, placing her finger on her lips to shush him. “Let me finish first.”

 

Jiyong nodded.

 

“I was scared then. I had told you before I would feel better if I would stay on the playground, even by playing by myself on the swing but they didn’t work at all. I was trembling from fear and from the cold. I was scared someone would creep up behind me and pull me into the darkness. I was scared some strangers would come up to me and assault me. I was scared I was going to be left alone forever in a place I didn’t know. I was thinking of every possible thing that could happen to me. And there was only one person who I wished would get me out of there, who would rescue me, who would assure me I was safe. Thank you, Jiyong…” she said, swallowing the lump forming in . She didn’t know from where – from the effort she had mentioning his name or from the effort she had to stop herself from crying further. “…Thank you for not disappointing me. Thank you for remembering the place that I told you where I would feel safe, that must have been your clue for looking for me. And it might have taken a lot of your effort. Thank you.”

 

Jiyong wasn’t able to respond immediately. He was right. She was scared, even though it didn’t appear in her eyes when he finally found her on the playground. She looked tough with her loud character but just like her appearance, she was frail and weak. She gets scared.

 

It was just fortunate that he got there on time.

 

Jiyong saw tears welling up in her eyes and he did what he had to do – he pulled her into an embrace and let her feel that she wasn’t out in that uncommon and cold place anymore, that she was already safe in his arms.

 

“I was scared as well,” he whispered so low it was impossible for her to hear it. He then added in an audible tone. “You’re safe now, Dara.”