Chapter 8

Attached to Death [Incomplete]

Chapter 8

Upon arriving to what was supposed to be ‘Heaven’ somehow turned into an average looking home, decorated with minimal housing items. I scanned the place as Kai directed me to the plain average looking wooden table and seated me down on a chair. “Welcome to one of the Immortal Realms. Heaven, as earthlings like to call it,” Kai smiled as he handed me a small cup of tea, although he said this was the Immortal Realm it seems to just be like his own little home, “Make yourself at home. I won't take much of your time but I do hope you're not uncomfortable about me bringing you here.”

“I think I'll be fine. Thank you for asking,” I gave him an assuring smile just letting him know that I was okay. He's so caring and friendly, though I don't really see why anyone (demons) would hate such an angel like him. If angels are all like this then the reason why demons hate them are quite strange.

Kai nodded and took a seat across of me, “HyoMi, you do understand that I'm an angel and I have duties that are needed to be done. One of the most essential duties is to keep the balance of nature as well as guide those lost souls into the correct path. Do you understand what I mean?”

“So what is it that you want?” It was strange to me, although through all of these crazy twists and turns it was unclear to me why I'm now involved with angels as well.

Before any of us could speak another word, everything happened so fast as I watched Kai being thrown off his chair and was pushed against the wall. As everything began to come clearer I found an angry BaekHyun holding Kai against the wall, “You know if you wanted to borrow my ghost you could've just asked,” BaekHyun's sarcastic voice was filled with irritation as he dangerously looked into Kai's eyes.

Without anymore further questioning or rants to make from BaekHyun, he released Kai and made his way over to me. Grabbing my hand and stood me up, “We'll be taking our leave, please do not randomly go around stealing ghosts. Angels have their own jobs, I don't quite remember ghost-napping was on the list.”

“You clearly know that I am doing my job properly. It's you who isn't following your duties,” Kai rolled his eyes as he folded his arms over his chest, “You know the rules quite well of both the Immortal Realms. And yet you still chose to break them. I'm just trying save your idiotic in making things right.”

“I don't need anyone to save my . Especially you. I can allow you to do anything you like as long as it doesn't involve me being in it. This is my problem, I can deal with it myself,”

“It's seems as though you haven't been opening your ears wide enough. The problem that you are trying to solve is also my issue, you've broken the rules and I'm here just doing my duty in trying to fix that imbalance you've created,” Kai explained although he sounded at bit annoyed, but he wasn't quite as angry as he had acted towards SuHo earlier, “You can leave if you like but I'm not going to stop trying to set things right.”

BaekHyun rolled his eyes as he dragged me towards the door, but then he was stopped in his tracks as Kai called out, “You also are a part of this world, stop denying it. My duties are also your duties. You have set rules to follow.”  Those words were whirling around in my mind as I couldn't help wonder what Kai meant by that, although BaekHyun act as though he hates Kai but I could sense a bit of care in Kai's voice for him. It was strange why Kai was showing so much kindness for a stubborn foul-mouthed demon like BaekHyun.

BaekHyun remained quiet for a moment, it didn't took him long to think over Kai's words as he turned around and stared at Kai, “Screw this stupid world! I don't need to follow any rules or obey duties! And if you don't want end up with broken wings, don't you ever dare appear in front of me again!” I didn't even know how to describe BaekHyun at this moment, he was being his usual self although a lot worse. It was maddening just watching Kai's kindness being thrown away like it meant nothing to BaekHyun.

“Hey!” I was at the breaking point of exploding, I knew quite clearly that this wasn't my conversation to step into, but everything was making me annoyed and confused. There are so much things that I haven't learnt or been told, BaekHyun kept everything from me even the simplest information about angels or their jobs. It just standing like a lost child in a middle of a demon's and angel's fight, not understanding what they were spewing about.

“What do you want?” BaekHyun's red eyes were glaring down at me again as Kai appeared beside BaekHyun placing his hand on BaekHyun's shoulder. Although I thought it was suppose to cool him down, but his eyes were glowing even more crimson as he threw Kai's hand off him.

“Why are you always so hot-tempered these days? Did you eat something wrong? How can you treat Kai like that?! He didn't do anything to you. Can't you see that he obviously cares for you?” I glared back at him as I could see Kai from the corner of my eye watching us as he was tiredly sipping my untouched tea from before, I guess this day was hard on everyone, especially Kai, “You really know how to be an , don't you?”

“You really want to go back to fighting again? Don't you remember what happened the last time we had a fight?” BaekHyun smirked leaning a bit closer to me, I could obviously guess he was trying threaten me by eating me again.

“Let me get this straight, there wasn't any resolution to our problem before. So you could just say I'm continuing this fight,” I still had my eyes on him as I tried remaining still, possibly he would eat me again but there's nothing wrong with standing up for your own opinions. “You should try to be more considerate and stop being so insensitive! At least think before you open your mouth!”

“Wow, the princess is giving me a lecture on being nice. HyoMi, you honestly think I'll ever listen to you,” BaekHyun laughed sarcastically as he took a step back, still looking at me. I guess that means he withdrew the thought about eating me, though I would've expected that he wouldn't be feeding off me while it was in front of Kai and in the Heaven Realm too. And did he call me Princess? How lame?

“No, but I think you should at least try. Now tell me why you're here. Barging into someone else's home isn't nice,”

“Barging into someone's home isn't my first time. And the reason why I'm here is because Killer came home making a big deal that you got swept away by an angel and wanted me to come get you because he would probably get his kicked by the angels guarding the Heaven's Gates,” BaekHyun explained, although it sounded as though he was aggravated by the fact that I got taken away so easily, but I sort of had to cringe when he said that I was swept away by an angel, it almost sounds as though I ran away because I was in love, even though in truth I was kidnapped.

“Thanks for caring, you insensitive butthead,” I stuck my tongue out at him, slowly making my way over to Kai by the table, I honestly think he deserves an apology, “Hey, sorry about today. Maybe we can finish this conversation another-”

“Century. Even better let's make it never,” BaekHyun interjected rudely as I looked up at him and raised an eyebrow at him, he simply shrugged and stuck his tongue back at me, “Your appointment has been made, Princess. Now let this butthead take you back to your castle.” Guessing his emphasis on the ‘butthead’ shows how much he hates being called that, though he better stop calling me Princess. What a way to say that I’m spoiled?

Kai simply laughed and rolled his eyes, completely ignoring that BaekHyun ever said anything, “Just drop by at the cafe and we'll talk.” Kai smiled giving me a gentle pat on the shoulder, “I'll be leaving first I have other duties to finish. You guys can go when you're ready.” His smile is so sweet, no wonder he's an angel and BaekHyun's glum face surely is fit for a demon.

Within a blink of an eye, Kai disappeared and I was faced with an annoyed BaekHyun who was doing nothing but giving me his eyebrow glare, “Are we going to leave yet? You seems to be continuous looking at him, was there something on his face?”

“Yes we can leave. And I think looking at his face is better than your stitched up brows always glaring at me,”

“Pfft. You seriously need a lesson on how the anatomy works. Eyebrows can’t glare at you, Princess,”

“So the butthead is giving me a lesson on how the body works? I wonder how can you even think with your ,” I laughed as we both made our way out of Kai's home, to my surprise the world outside wasn't like those movies with angels riding on clouds. It was like a usual city, although a bit cloudy but seeing angels flying around in their gorgeous white wings makes me wonder why humans has to be glued to the ground.

“Don't push it and don’t you dare call me that again,” BaekHyun warned as he forcefully turned me around and wrapped his arms around my waist, slowly leaning in closer to me, I could feel his breath near my ear, “Better keep that mouth of yours shut until we reached home, don't make me drop you purposely.”

I didn't say anything, more like I couldn't care about his threats. Before he could carry me up, I quickly turned around just to get a glimpse at his wings, but BaekHyun in shock hastily withdrew them back so I couldn't even get a chance to see. “What are you doing? I could've dropped you!” he was getting mad, I could see it in his eyes as those infamous red irises once again were glaring at me.

“I just wanted to see your wings,” I tried pulling a sweet smile but BaekHyun pinched my nose and pulled my face up so that I was directly looking into his red eyes. “See my wings? They are nothing but a bunch of black feathers, why would you want to see them?” he questioned, though I couldn't see the reason why he wouldn't allow me to see his wings, it was just strange the way he was acting. BaekHyun really hates telling me things about himself, honestly right now I have no clue about him even though I've known him for a few months already.

I pushed his hand away, releasing my nose, “You know everything about me, how come you don't tell me anything about you?”

“Seriously, HyoMi, do I look like a person who would sit down and tell you about myself? Even though I love myself, I don't love myself to that point where I’ll waste my time talking about myself,”

“Fine, in one minute tell me a summary of your life,”

BaekHyun let out a sigh in annoyance, although it looks as though he refused to open his mouth but shockingly he actually chose to do it, “I'm a demon, I have to look after an annoying ghost girl so she won’t suicide and have a blabbermouth demon brother. End of story.”

“Tell me something I don’t know! And that's not even a minute!”

“Minutes on Earth are different from minutes in the Immortal Realms,” he smiled and turned me around, wrapping his arms around my waist again, “Turn around again and I'll fry you and give you for Killer to eat.”

“Have you forgotten that we are linked? If I get fried then you'll be too. Stop threatening me when you know that there’s a likely chance that it wouldn't happen. You’re really a - AHHHH!” Before I could finish talking, BaekHyun carried me and we were flying in the air. He gave me a slight shock before I was given time to process everything. 

“The ghost girl sure talks a lot now, what happened to the one I first met? You wouldn’t even crack a word to me,” BaekHyun laughed as we were finally far from all of the busy city noises of Heaven. It was so quiet within the maze of clouds and fog, though I find it quite peaceful, “I guess you’re starting to get comfortable to me now.”

Pfft. Who even thinks like that? Why don’t you say that I find you bothersome? Okay, I have to admit, BaekHyun isn’t as bothersome as I claim him to be, but even though he has a face of an angel he sure have a heart of a demon. I just don’t understand what just happened between Kai and him, they seem to have known each other and Kai cares for him, which is unusual. “What’s on your mind?” BaekHyun asked, probably he felt uncomfortable about my silence or that he’s being ignored.

“Nothing. Just thinking why this personal driver is driving so slow,” I laughed as I noticed BaekHyun speeding up a bit.

***

After the nice bath, I started making my way to my room, but to my surprise when I entered my room I found SuHo boringly slouching on my bed as though he was waiting for me. “What brings you here?” I asked as I was drying my hair and went towards the drawers to get my hairbrush.

“Just curious about you. How are you feeling?”

“Err… I’m okay, why? Is there something wrong?”

SuHo smile turned into a shock ‘O’, I don’t understand why there would be something wrong with me. “No, there’s nothing wrong. I just thought going to Heaven would’ve meant that you were going to be reincarnated. Don’t ghosts go to Heaven for that?” his awkward chuckle was making me feel a bit suspicious. He was probably hiding something from me OR he was helping BaekHyun hide something from me that he’d accidentally spilled out.

“Oi! SuHo what are you hiding from me this time?”

“Please don’t make me say it. Death is going to blow for real if I tell you,” I don’t get it, why was SuHo so worried about BaekHyun getting angry? It wasn’t like BaekHyun was blackmailing SuHo about something so he would keep his mouth shut. Maybe he was!

“Pleeease? Just a bit,”

“Stop HyoMi, you know I can’t control my mouth,”

“One word?”

“…*sigh… Fine, Immortality,” he quickly said before covering up his mouth so he wouldn’t say anything else important. Did he just say ‘immortality’? Well, BaekHyun did make me promise him that I’ll quietly live like an immortal, yet I’m still a long way away from being an immortal. Immortality? Was SuHo talking about me or BaekHyun? I’m becoming immortal or BaekHyun is losing his immortality? Urgh! I just hate him for hiding all of these secrets from me. That’s it I’m going to make him tell me whether I make it out alive or not!

I was furious, how can he just keep doing this to me?! Hastily making my way over to the spare room I lent BaekHyun and SuHo to use, I wasn’t bothered to knock and let myself in. Before I could even start ranting and yelling my lungs off, a soft gasp escaped from my lips when I found BaekHyun holding onto a girl as he was feeding on her. I watched as his crimson red eyes were growing brighter every moment he inhaled the white smoke escaping from the girl’s lips.

My body was frozen, I could barely move. Without thinking about anything else, I rushed up to the girl and pushed her from BaekHyun’s hold. To my surprise, I found another 5 girls lying lifelessly at his feet. What was he doing killing so much girls?!

“WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!” I yelled, I felt my heart dropped seeing something this disgusting, I can’t believe he would feed right in my home. What is wrong with him? I don't remember BaekHyun as being this… evil.

“Move HyoMi,” his low voice spoke trying to suppress his anger, “She’s the last one.”

I turned and looked over at the shaken girl as she was so weak she couldn’t even get up from the floor. “HOW CAN YOU THIS?! RIGHT IN MY HOME! WHY ARE YOU KILLING SO MANY PEOPLE?!!” I tried hiding in my fears, there was nothing that I’m scared of, not even death. But seeing a massacre like was good enough to make me sick in the stomach. I bent down to help the girl up, but before I could even take another step closer to the door, BaekHyun had grabbed her from me and started devouring what was left of her soul.

“STOP! YOU CAN’T DO THIS! STOP! EN HELL BAEKHYUN! STOP!!!” I was yelling again, I saw tears drowning my vision as I wasn’t going to give up in trying dragging her away from the beast. Although BaekHyun was much stronger, I still held on. Giving her another strong yank, I watched as BaekHyun let her go. Oh no. Crashing to the ground, I watched as the girl’s dead body fell over me.

“It’s finally done,” BaekHyun muttered under his breath as he let out a sigh. Standing up, I grabbed him and looked into his cold red eyes, “WHAT KIND OF EN MONSTER ARE YOU?! WHO GAVE YOU THE RIGHT TO DO THIS?!”

“HyoMi, they agreed to sell their souls to me in return of an offer. It was part of the deal,” he said leaning in closer to me. I felt his cold fingers gently touching my right cheek as he slightly he wiped the tears off my cheek. I pushed his hand away and took a step back, “Don’t touch me.”

“Sorry, Princess. But that order cannot be obeyed,” I watched the smirk on BaekHyun’s lips form as I watched him making his way over to me. Grabbing a hold of me, I was about to yell for SuHo but I found my lips were sealed. BaekHyun’s soft lips were touching mine, although my mind was fighting against it, I found my body feeling lifeless, I could barely lift a finger. My knees were starting to feel weak. NO! Stop!

I felt as he was deepening the kiss, my lips were being invaded as I could an icy cold air escaping from his lips into my mouth, slowly travelling down my body. Chills ran down my spine while my head was almost at a point of exploding.  It wasn’t long until I felt my arms regaining some strength. Angrily I pushed him off me, I watched as BaekHyun flew off me and crashed through the window pane, leaving shattered pieces of glass scattering all over the floor, covering the bodies of the dead girls.

What was going on? How come I have so much strength?! What was happening to me?! My body was feeling weird as though, a wind of power was flowing through my blood streams. What did BaekHyun do to me?!

“Welcome to our world, Princess,” I heard BaekHyun’s voice, turning around in shock I found him behind me, casually leaning against the door frame, “You’re immortal now.”

“WHAT?! HOW CAN IT BE?!” It wasn’t even 3 months yet, I didn't get to decide whether I wanted to die or become an immortal. What in the world does he mean?!

You must live through death, before you can taste immortality,” BaekHyun smirked as I watched him move closer to me, slowly reaching out to me he grabbed my arm as he leaned in to my ear and whispered, “Sorry, but I decided to take the shortcut to this. My patience was wearing thin.”

I glared into his eyes to see my reflection glistening from the brown iris of his eyes. My eyes were nothing more but drenched with the disgusting colour of blood, what have I become?! THIS WAS BAEKHYUN’S ENTIRE FAULT! HE DID THIS TO ME! Angrily I felt my rage taking over me as I released myself from BaekHyun’s hold, thoughtlessly clutching onto his arm, the anger that were consuming me finally discharged as I twisted his arm back. Hearing the cracking of his bones and the groans of pain killed my mind, but it soothed my heart. Throwing him on the ground, I headed towards the door, “You have no right to do this to me. I’m not going to let you control me anymore.” I felt like a cold-hearted monster… No. I am a monster.

This was what SuHo meant. Immortality was about me. , my arm is aching! The linking thing still exist even though I’m immortal.

.

.

.

You must live through death, before you can taste immortality