Breathless

A 2-Sided School

Both DongHae and EunHyuk had small wobbly smiles plastered to their faces as soon as they step foot on the training ground: the place where they will be practicing for two months, together. 

KangIn and JungSoo were standing in the middle of the slightly muddied field, clipboards in their arms. KangIn waved a large, blue flag and blew a whistle. "... MAY THE PRACTICE COMMENCE! GOOD LUCK!"

Immediately, the field began to buzz energetically. Both students and fairies were extremely excited now, despite the gender of their partners. DongHae and EunHyuk went to a corner and managed to secure a wooden chair. You see, every pair was to tie up the fairy loosely to a wooden chair, so in case the fairy gets carried away by the wind, the human and the chair can act as anchors. DongHae awkwardly tied EunHyuk's wrists with a nylon string, doing all he could to prevent skin-to-skin contact, because he knew, introverted people usually shy away from skinship. Meanwhile, the male fairy looked everywhere, and at anyone, but his partner. It was the first time he was in such close proximity to another male that was his age.

When DongHae coughed to signify he was done, EunHyuk stopped tapping his feet and clenched his eyes shut.
Focusing solely on his wings, he felt them flutter beneath his uniform. He tried his hardest and finally managed to slip the thin wings through the slanted cuts on the back of his uniform, specially designed to accommodate fairies' wings. Once the baby blue wings were exposed to the air, EunHyuk allowed his wings to stretch to their fullest extent, flapping them once, twice, and sighing in relief.

While the fairy was busy concentrating, DongHae couldn't help but stare in wonder. He has never spoke to a fairy before, and thus never knew how their bodies worked. When EunHyuk's wings stretched out, they seemed big enough to engulf them both, if not for its fragile appearance. A sudden wave of emotions choked the orange-haired boy and he winced. He didn't know what he was feeling at the moment, but he knew it wasn't a bad thing.

"Alright, I'm ready." The cold tone pierced through his reverie and DongHae snapped up to look at his partner's eyes. Matching his gaze, he nodded. "Okay." Without further hesitations, EunHyuk placed as much force as he could and his translucent wings started to twitch. Soon enough, he felt the air gather under his purposely curled wings and he instinctively started to beat the magical contraption.

The beating got harder as the wind got stronger, and at this point some fairies had already stopped trying to fly, for fear that they might actually be carried with the wind. However, EunHyuk did not stop and DongHae had started to crouch. His arms were spread out in an attempt to get ready in case his partner loses control and flies off.

Unexpectedly, EunHyuk's wings continued to flap and soon he felt himself hovering above the ground. His lips were pulled into a thin line, eyes narrowed. He was trying to muster enough strength to bring him higher, but the fear and exhaustion was starting to accumulate.

"YOU CAN DO IT!" DongHae's cheer flashed through EunHyuk's mind and he clenched his teeth, willing himself to go higher, even higher, much higher. Without them realizing, EunHyuk soon found himself fluttering above the wooden chair, feet dangling just above DongHae's head. DongHae jumped for joy and the fairy allowed a small, toothed smile.

A gust of wind suddenly rushed in, as if it hated the moment the two boys' were reveling in. It was then that EunHyuk felt fear wash over him. Oh my god I am actually flying. Above ground. There is nothing for me to hold onto, and the wind is getting stronger. I'll fall. I'll fall I'll fall I'll fall what it I fall?! The train of thoughts caused EunHyuk to gasp and it was like all energy was suddenly, forcefully, pulled out of him, from the pit of his stomach and through his throat.

His mouth felt dry, contrary to the wetness in his eyes. His wings seemed to have stopped moving and he didn't think he could make it work again. There was white noise everywhere and the wind that was colliding with his ears started to hurt. He could see a blurred image of DongHae screaming, arms outstretched, but he couldn't hear the words. He could barely register his partner's hand grabbing at the tip of his shoes before everything went silent, and white.


EunHyuk's P.O.V

The flash of white has turned black and this darkness was engulfing me, swallowing me whole. I can't feel my body and all I've done is stare at this universe of nothingness that I have been transported to. My mind's blank; I tried to focus. Focus on something. Anything.

After what seemed like forever, I could feel my own ears twitch. The first movement I've made so far. I strained to hear the sounds, and soon enough I'm starting to hear my name. Then, I felt my hands, and they were being squeezed ever so gently. Then, a cool sensation on my forehead. My hardened cheeks. The familiar moistness that is the inside of my mouth. My tongue. My nose.

All at once I started feeling everything. I smelled a detergent-like environment, I felt the slight dryness of my mouth, the smooth skin against my hand, the soft fabric beneath me, the feeling of another cloth brushing against the tips of my toes, as well as the feeling of my folded wings twitching.

Immediately there was an opening in the darkness. Light started to shine through, and all of a sudden I felt my eyes open, pupils dilated. I lay there for a moment, gathering my thoughts. The ceiling above me was sky blue in colour, and I noticed intricate carvings on the corners through my peripheral vision.

It was from here that I realized there was another life force just a few centimeters away from me. I turned my head, feeling my neck crack a bit. In front of me was a guy of medium built. He had dark orange hair, curled slightly at the ends. Long eyelashes and double eye-lids, his irises were brown and the sclera were... red?

Barely registering that this male is my partner for the flight examination, I sat up and groaned when my head was split in half. Figuratively, thank goodness. My partner came over and started to fuss, but he kept his voice considerately low and soft, so it was more comforting than frustrating. I waved my hands, willing him to stop fretting as I thought hard.

What's his name again? Come on now, it's there somewhere. I bit my lip, feeling pressured to remember his name. After what seemed like hours of contemplating, a light bulb shone suddenly in my head.

"DongHae!"

"EunHyuk?"

I turned to him, amused half-smile on my face, because of how quickly he replied. My smile disappeared, however, much like my heartbeats. He was right next to my face, and now that I've turned, the tips of our noses are brushing and I could smell his refreshing, minty breath on my lips.

Time stopped, and both of our eyes widened.