It's Not What You Think

Unseen Necessity
Chanyeol blinked once. Then Baekhyun blinked once. Then Chanyeol blinked twice. So then Baekhyun blinked twice. 
 
"Wow, it's amazing" Chanyeol' trailed off with a whisper as he pointed slowly at his forehead. Baekhyun, confused, covered his forehead feeling insecure about his appearance. "I've always wanted to move there someday," Chanyeol mummured quiet enough just for him
 
"Do I have something on my forehead?" Baekhyun wondered aloud. To Chanyeol, apparently not, pun intended. 
 
"No," Chanyeol shook his head sounding convincing. Baekhyun slowly uncovered his forehead and checked his hands making sure he hadn't touched anything weird from his forehead. Baekhyun whipped his head up to face Chanyeol (which scared him causing him to jump back because Baekhyun almost hit his nose). 
 
"You sure?" Baekhyun asked unsure. Chanyeol nodded and took both of Baekhyun's wrists and showed his wrists to Baekhyun's own face. 
 
"If you did, you would've rubbed it off," Chanyeol tried laughing, but the fact that Baekhyun marking was Manhattan, New York had him surprised. Baekhyun nodded and formed a cheeky grin. Chanyeol smiled gently back and asked, "So what did you wanna see?"
 
 
 
 
Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a much more detailed tour around school, which was way better than Kris's in Baekhyun's opinion. Chanyeol showed Baekhyun the school's music room, cafeteria, gym, and all of the classes that Baekhyun was scheduled to and a few extra classes just in case. Finally, their last stop was the school's dormitory. To Baekhyun's surprise, he's never seen a school dormitory at a high school besides those at college. 
 
"So this is where stuff happens I guess," Chanyeol said as they both entered the main hall of the dormitories. Chanyeol unraveled his scarf, but kept everything else on like his gloves and hoodie because he'd be going out soon to get dinner. Baekhyun, however, left everything on, and boy did he look warm. He had too many layers of clothing on everywhere on his body. The boy even wore double beanies. "Uhm, are you comfortable in that?" Chanyeol asked concerned for Baekhyun. Baekhyun stiffly nodded since he had about 4 scarfs on making his head unshift-able. Chanyeol couldn't help but giggle a little and then tilted his head to the side. "You look like a giant snowman. Well, actually, a really tiny one," Chanyeol teased. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and tried crossing his arms. Well, yeah he tried crossing his arms. 
 
After a few moments of convincing, Baekhyun finally took off hundreds of layers of clothing. They both sat down at the lobby's couch shivering still from the weather. 
 
"It's so cold out here," Baekhyun stated the obvious. Chanyeol nodded, eyes closed, relaxed. Baekhyun watch Chanyeol basically sleep. Assuming he himself, Baekhyun, was boring Chanyeol, he tried making new conversations. "So, do you live around here? Do you take the bus?" He asked. Chanyeol shook his head slowly. Baekhyun tilted his head. "B-but this school is so far from the neighborhoods..." He referenced. Chanyeol nodded slowly this time, almost half asleep. "S-so how long does it take you... To get to school every morning?" Baekhyun asked, scared that he was boring Chanyeol to sleep. 
 
"Like... Uh, 2 minutes," Chanyeol finally spoke. Baekhyun was about to say something, but Chanyeol spoke again. "I just live down the hall," he said, answering Baekhyun's question. Chanyeol pointed down the hall, right into the school's dormitories. Baekhyun gaped his mouth in realization and nodded slowly. 
 
"So you don't live with your parents then?" Baekhyun asked curiously in an interrogative voice. Chanyeol shook his head. Baekhyun nodded once, and slowly sank into his seat, wondering why he doesn't. 
 
 
 
Once they finished their little chat, Baekhyun suggested he should get going now. "Thanks for the tour!" Baekhyun shouted out to Chanyeol as they both exited the building, heading opposite directions. 
 
"No problem!" Chanyeol replied and waved him off. Chanyeol then began to walk to the nearest 24-hour market near the school. This had been his daily routine for almost 3 years. Wake up, go to school, come back, go out to the market and buy food and eat, come home and work on homework, then sleep. Normal life for a normal guy. Well, I guess the word "normal" doesn't fit Chanyeol now does it? 
 
 
 
It's been 3 weeks since Baekhyun and Chanyeol met. They hang out all the time now which is rather quite surprising for both of them since Chanyeol's actual only friend is Kris and Baekhyun hadn't had a true friend in the longest time. Not to be corny, but the two technically complete each other. If Chanyeol needs someone to do this, Baekhyun is there or vice versa. Things haven't been better for ages. 
 
They even started well, I guess you could say a little relationship. But it's not that serious at all. I mean they've gone on one date. But nothing happened besides the fact Chanyeol got drunk and fell atop of Baekhyun who got squished and they both laid there helpless for an hour. So yeah, let's not count that one as a date. 
 
But yeah, things have been pretty good. Even though Chanyeol is still wodering if Baekhyun and him have some sort of fate tied together since his forehead has the place Chanyeol has always wanted to go to, it hasn't really gotten in the way of anything. Still Chanyeol doesn't really have a 100% idea what those places mean, but he has a thought. He has a good thought. But the 50/50 chance about it being good scares him. 
 
 
 
Chanyeol walks out his dorm to go get dinner since school wasn't as tiring as usual now that Baekhyun is here. I mean, Chanyeol isn't such a grumpy guy at all, he's just not as playful as he used to be. But now that Baekhyun's here, he's becoming more of himself. The one his sister and Kris miss. The one they grew up with. Thanks to Baekhyun. 
 
On his way to the store, he spotted a woman walking across the street. She was shivering cold, and she had only a thin long sleeve on as her winter gear. Putting it off as a "her fault not mine" he continued to walk, but then out of curiosity, he turned around and found the woman collapsed onto the road. Without thinking, Chanyeol rushed towards the woman. Her lips were blue and her face was pale as snow. She felt like the snow as well. Ice-cold as snow. Chanyeol then looked at her forehead. 
 
His eyes blinked in confusion. 
 
Chanyeol looked around hoping to see anyone for help as he wrapped her in his arms and began to cradle her. Trying to match her to his body temperature, he picked her up. Inhaling and exhaling faster than normal, he was scared this woman wouldn't make it. She made tiny grunting noises which became quieter and quieter by the second.
 
Then he immediately reached into his back pocket and found his phone. He thanked God in his head that he brought it with him and called the ambulance as fast as he could. 
 
 
 
 
They told him that they'd be there. That they'd come as fast as they could try. "Try" being the key word. But their trying wasn't enough. Here on the concrete laid a frozen to death woman who was paler than the moon and lips as purple as a grape. Someone had died within his arms today. 
 
Walk forward and forget about the negatives, was his motto of the day. 
 
 
Sometimes words aren't enough. We can't trust anyone based only on their words now. We need more than words. We need actual actions. We can't rely on each others' lies. What does that benefit?
 
 
 
 
 
Kris walked into Chanyeol's living room with 2 cups of coffee. Chanyeol sat on the couch hugging his pillow, trying to keep it warm as himself and also held the TV remote and flipped through the channels. Kris abruptly sat right beside him on the couch and rested Chanyeol's mug onto the coffee table in front of them and drank his. 
 
"Look I got you mocha this time," Kris tried enlightening Chanyeol's mood and pointed to it as he sipped his vanilla hazelnut. Chanyeol kept silent, not caring if Kris actually made the coffee he asked for for the first time in years. Last time that happened was when Chanyeol's dad died. 
 
The two sat there in silence. Kris knows how to make his best friend laugh, but laughter wouldn't lift their moods right now. Laughter won't always be the answer to everything. 
 
"The police officer said I have to go over in an hour to explain what happened," Chanyeol whispered. Kris just nodded and stared at the TV. "They said I could've done something to help her," Chanyeol whispered even quieter, almost as a squeak. That's when Kris went off and slammed his mug atop of the coffee table and arose from his seat and stood in front of Chanyeol. 
 
"You know that's not true! You tried your best, okay?! You did and I kno-" 
 
"I knew she was going to die, Kris," Chanyeol started and started to shake nonstop as tears formed in his eyes. Kris's shoulders deflated and his whole body posture did as well. 
 
"W-w-what?" He asked softly, unsure what Chanyeol meant. He sat down beside him again and raised a brow. "How?"
 
"Because it said she was going to die in Seoul, South Korea. That's where we're at right now." Chanyeol muttered. Kris shook his head. 
 
"That's nonsense alright? One, that's just an illusion you see. Two, you don't even know the woman! She could've lived in Seoul her whole life. Why did she die just now-"
 
"It's not an illusion, Kris." Chanyeol stated and stood up. He looked furious. And for the first time, the dragon backed down to the dog. "Kris," Chanyeol started, but this time in an unsure shaky voice which was the total opposite of what just happened. Because everything Chanyeol knew had just been shattered. "Remember how I told you that the places marked on peoples' foreheads is the place where they find their soulmate?" he asked Kris with his eyes widened. 
 
Kris nods, not wanting to believe his best friend who's basically his brother can actually "see" this nonsense, but he must admit it happens. 
 
 
 
 
"What if the places I see on peoples' foreheads, are not the places they find their soulmate, but where they die instead?" Chanyeol asks in a rhetorical tone. 
 
So then they just sit there. Letting it all sink in. And not wanting to believe it, but everything just
 
 
Clicked. 
 
 
"Because my dad died in Hanlim... and my mom is in a coma in Gyeonggi."