One Ride

Unseen Necessity

The next day Baekhyun stays home and continues to work on his art project. His goal was to sketch out a drawing that included everything about himself.

"How am I suppose to portray myself through a sketch?" he asked himself aloud and combed his hair with his fingers.

His professor said this would be a learning experience for the class. It was a new semester and not that many people were new. Some people aren't that sociable, so how would they get to know others? Why not by art, is what he insisted.

He gave everyone examples on what to draw so Baekhyun asked himself things like: What did he like to do during rainy days, what did he listen to on the bus, what does he watch on Friday nights when he's by himself and just everything. Baekhyun had started to draw outlines of flipped open books, with pencils and paint brushes, and shaded in portions of the paper what looked like coffee splashes. He had thought about it well and thought he should also include features of Korea. Yet he felt like something wasn't right.

To take his mind off things, he looked around his room as he tapped his foot softly against the hard wooden floor. Then his eyes landed on something that should help his mind clear. He stood up from the easel and his stool and walked over to his radio which rested on his night stand. A soft tune began to play with a gentle voice harmonizing with it perfectly.

Baekhyun found this voice absolutely soothing and relaxing. He couldn't help himself but hum along to it by himself for a little before a dry cough came out of his mouth. His throat became a little itchy from last night and he realized he hadn't drank anything this morning. He went over to the fridge and poured himself a glass of orange juice, his favorite. He took out a container of some Chinese takeout he ordered two days ago. He opened the box and smelt it. It wasn't spoiled or anything so he swung open the microwave and heated it up.

The song he recently listened to finally ended once he sat back on his stool while waiting for the food to heat up.

"That was a nice song," he muttered to himself, disappointed he didn't catch the name of the song. Suddenly the MC of the radio broadcast's voice came on.

"And that was our last request for the morning! I guess in Korea, the holiday White Day is today. If you didn't know, White Day is when a boy gives presents to the girl he loves."

Baekhyun heard the beep of the timer and walked back to the microwave and took out his food. He pulled out a pair of extra wooden chopsticks that came with the order and sat down on his couch. He began to eat as he listened to the MC continue while looking at his food.

"This looks good," he told himself as he began to use his right hand to pick up the food from the box into his mouth using the chopsticks.

"So we'd like to thank those who brought this wonderful day to our station! And– oh, we have one more request submitted by an anonymous name. Okay, last one for the day!"


Their song came on.


And everything collapsed.


Baekhyun let go of the items he held in his hands. He began to tremble as the guitar began to play beautiful love from the speakers. He slowly lifted his gaze up from the box and to the radio.

This song, this song belonged to Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun. This was the song Park Chanyeol had written and sung to Baekhyun. He remembers it all, all so clearly.

----------

"Baekhyunnie!" a deep voice roared out to the small figure that laid on the bench. Chanyeol walked up to him and crouched down and kneeled beside the sleeping figure. It was White Day, but Chanyeol had forgotten while he was away at work assisting the new bossy secretary of their department. The hole in Chanyeol's heart started to grow bigger and bigger as he watched Baekhyun turn in his sleep. He held a large white envelope in one hand that laid across his chest. What Chanyeol didn't know was that Baekhyun had waited at the park for Chanyeol since noon. But Chanyeol never got the memo so he waited at home until he saw Baekhyun's journal lying around. Wondering where Baekhyun could be, he opened it without hesitating.

March 14, 2011: Go get Chanyeol's present, you idiot!

Chanyeol couldn't help but laugh at Baekhyun's childish self reminder, but then he began to wonder what the present was for. It wasn't even close to his birthday yet, so what is it for? He studied the journal more and more until he landed on a date that was scheduled a month earlier before.

February 16: White Day is almost here!

"," he muttered to himself before he dashed outside the door dropping the journal and zoomed off to the park, the one place Baekhyun would be on a day like this. The place where Chanyeol confessed his secret, and the place where Baekhyun had committed himself to him. But as he ran down the hallway of their apartment, he realized he needed a present to give to Chanyeol as well. Quickly, Chanyeol ran back into their home and rummaged through his crowded messy desk, looking for his black notebook. Once he found it, he took his guitar case from the side of his closet and left.

He ran and ran crossing streets until he found the park and saw a little Byun Baekhyun sleeping on the bench.

"Damn it, Chanyeol," he cursed at himself. Chanyeol wasn't necessarily the type of person to remember these lovers' days since he's never celebrated them with anyone before. "Please don't hate me," he mentally told Baekhyun as he began to quicken his pace up to him.

Chanyeol called out his name continuously but no use, so he put his guitar case on the back of the bench and kneeled beside him and rested his arms and chin on the empty space on the bench next to Baekhyun's head. He studied the angel beside him and took in everything. How dainty his lips were, the length of his precious eyelashes, the structure of his cheek bones. Chanyeol had been blessed with such a beautiful creature and he tells himself that everyday.

Baekhyun still had his eyes shut tight, so Chanyeol laid back and used his hands as a supporting stand. He gently tapped his heel against the dirt as he silently waited for Baekhyun to wake up. It didn't matter now long it'd take for the angel to wake up. He could sleep forever if he wanted to; Chanyeol didn't care because time has no limit to their love.

Chanyeol would wait forever if he had to for Baekhyun.

Chanyeol tilted his head back and gazed at the starlit night. They twinkled and sparked up the black, dull sky. Is this what it looks like when people look at Baekhyun and him?

Chanyeol was a plain, emotionless boy. The only person he let into his heart were Kris and his sister. It took time, but they finally made it in after so long.

He never talked to his sister during his youth. He had always envied her since she was the eldest. She had got to go do the things he'd always wanted to do. Since he's the second in the family, his parents didn't expect much from him. Never has his parents supported him as much as his sister. So all he did was lay back and relax all day, but after awhile, it didn't feel right. He had the feeling he wanted to do something more than this. Almost as if he was made to do something great.

But the day their parents ended everything ever held between them, Chanyeol became unstable. There was so much going on, and he needed someone to lean on. Then from then on, they began to live the brother and sister love they never experienced. 

For Kris, the Chinese new kid who had joined his third grade class, he felt sorry for the kid. He was surely not good looking, so the kids picked on him. Chanyeol would never do so, yet he'd never save Kris from it all either. He actually found it amusing even at such a young age. Until the fifth grade they became friends because when Chanyeol's parents separated, guess who was by his side?


Chanyeol had a dark aura that others wouldn't want to mess with, which never bothered him to be honest. He was just that other kid down the road you never get the chance to talk to because you both live in different worlds. Park Chanyeol was basically a nobody because despite his good looks, he was boring. That is until he met a boy named Byun Baekhyun.

"Thank you Baekhyun, for bringing the light into me. Thank you for making me smile. Baekhyun, believe it or not, but you have such sparkling eyes that the stars have no match."

Chanyeol sat up straight and wrapped his arms around his legs as rested his chin onto his knee before he continued as he studied Baekhyun's distinguished side profile. He rocked back and forth as he treasured the angel like gold with his eyes.

"I know I've only known you for such a short time. Three years may be short, but they were the best three years of my life. Everyday I try to show you that, but sometimes I feel like it's not working, so I'm willing to give you my present to you now."

The strumming of guitar strings began to flow through the air as Chanyeol began to play. No words, just music. Music that formed beautiful emotions through the simple guitar that rested in Chanyeol's grasp. Hopefully Baekhyun was awake as he played this song because if he wasn't, guilt would've begun to build on top of his chest remembering Baekhyun fell asleep for waiting to so long because of him.

Once the song finally came to an end, Chanyeol rested his guitar on his shoulder like it was some sort of heavy weapon.

"Don't ever leave me, okay?"

"I will never leave you."

Chanyeol fell back onto the dirt from his position when he heard Baekhyun's sudden surprise. Now lying on the cold dirty floor staring off into space, Chanyeol nervously asked, "How much did you hear?"

"As much as I need to know," Baekhyun replied while looking at the sky as well. "Do you really think I'm that great? I mean, you and I both know there are much funnier and exciting people than me. I'm nothing compared to them," he let out a low chuckle as he humiliated himself in front of his love.

Without even giving time for Baekhyun to process, Chanyeol pounced right onto Baekhyun and kissed him. No one said anything, and no one decided to break the kiss. It wasn't passionate, but it was a quick way to tell Baekhyun to shut up I love you so much nothing you say can change my mind about you.

"Baekhyun, no matter what you say, I will never think otherwise."

They both sit up as Baekhyun leans into Chanyeol's broad chest and wrapped his arms around his torso.

"Chanyeol," he begins, "what am I to you?"

Chanyeol used the tips of his fingers to lift up Baekhyun's chin to look into those starlit eyes of his again that mesmerized him again.


"You? You're mine. Don't you dare forget that."

--------------

Baekhyun watches the radio sit there still as he listens to the guitar that fills the entire room with sweet serenading music that makes Baekhyun fall in love all over again with Chanyeol.

Of course, Baekhyun wasn't fooled into thinking this was his Park Chanyeol playing because last time he checked, for the past two years Chanyeol had fallen into a deep sleep. There was no way this could've been him. No way.

But this was their song though, a song Chanyeol never let anyone else listen to. It had been only a song for Baekhyun to listen to and no one else. How could someone be playing this on a radio station? A solution popped into his mind and he grabbed his cell phone off the table with a quick swift and began dial the station's number, but at the moment, Baekhyun had no service.

He had to find out who was playing the song. It wasn't a choice anymore, he needed to know. Could it have been Kris? No, he doesn't know how to play the guitar that well. Yura? She's never learnt an instrument in her life however. There's absolutely no one else that it have could've been.

---------------

Baekhyun headed towards the subway station. A job offer had recently opened up about 10 blocks away from here. The salary was pretty good comparing it to the other jobs that were available and the working hours fitted just fine with his seminars. Riding the subway every afternoons on Monday through Thursday didn't seem that bad. Yeah, Baekhyun knew how bad the subway publicity was here but it was okay to live with.

He scanned his pass as he walked through the gates opening them as the green arrow lit up, indicating he could pass now. The subway was crowded just as usual. People had places to go, people to come home to. Baekhyun slowed down his pace as he stared around looking at everyone passing and shoving past him. All these people had something to look forward to... Someone to look forward to coming home. And what did he have? He had nothing.

Never had he envied so many people at once before. He wanted someone to come home to every night who had their arms wide open, waiting for him to run into them. No, he didn't want someone, he wanted his Chanyeol.

"Chanyeol-ah," he whispered to himself as he looked around, looking for him. For a second, he became delusional. All he wants is his Chanyeol.

"Is that too much to ask for?" he asked the air hoping it would give him an answer. What did he have to do just to go back into the past? He drifted his feet along the pavement, reluctantly wanting to go on that subway anymore. People pushed him side to side trying to get pass. Is this what being abandoned and left alone felt like? Most likely yes.

 

Finally, he made it to his ride and got on. He looked around past the crowd of people standing up along with him looking for a seat to sit down. However he had no luck. The train started to move fast and he held onto the bar behind him to hold on. Accidentally, he wrapped his hands around another hand that already held the bar.

Baekhyun turned his head slightly to see a blonde woman already holding on to the bar.

"Oh, sorry," he apologized and slightly bowed his head in a form of a habit. She told him no worries and he turned around again. The train went over bumps and such but the ride was still fine. Getting bored, he took out his headphones and his phone and turned them on as he plugged them into his ears. Pop music from Korea started to play as he closed his eyes. This was the closest way he had connected back with his home in such a long time.

He closed his eyes as they began to stop and let some people on the train, and some off. After a few more stops, Baekhyun opened his eyes again to see if he was close by his stop yet. Gazing around looking for a sign, he saw a whole new batch of people on the train with him. He stared at all of them until he saw one specific someone. There, all the way at the end of their cart, the back of a tall fair skinned boy with jet black hair stood there with a guitar case hanging on his back.

Baekhyun stared at the man with blank eyes and looked around more to see other faces. No one seemed that interesting so he closed his eyes again. A few more stops had come until he opened his eyes again and saw the same man sitting down with his guitar case on his lap.

 

 

 


Baekhyun's whole body froze. His arms stiffened as his knees dropped to the floor. Other people began to look at him but he didn't give a . He held onto the iron pole to help him keep his balance as he saw the face of his Chanyeol. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out.

Have you ever wanted to cry so badly, but for some reason you couldn't? I think that's the worse type of pain because you can't release any emotions. It's bottled up inside of you, but everything had happened so fast you can't even respond. This is exactly how Baekhyun felt right now, right at this very second.

He couldn't move his legs. He wanted to run into Chanyeol's arms, but for some reason they went all numb on him. He couldn't even wave because his arms just hung there. All he could do was watch and try to realize Park Chanyeol was sitting right in front of him.

He wanted to go to him, so ing badly, but then out of no where the girl sitting next to him held onto his arms.

Baekhyun's heart shattered.

"Chanyeol..." Baekhyun croaked. He realized he was able to control his body again and that meant he was able to cry. Everything has blurred with tears forming in his eyes drizzling down his cheeks like a downpour.

"Chanyeol..." he cried but it wasn't loud enough to get pass the loud screeching noises of the trains breaks. He couldn't believe what he was witnessing.


Park Chanyeol had another person by his side.


Had he moved on? When did he wake up? Why is he here? These questions bottled up in his mind as he watched the two converse, both smiling and laughing at one another.

"Chanyeol," Baekhyun whispered, trying to call him. But why was he whispering? Baekhyun didn't know. All he felt like doing was screaming and shouting because all of their love slowly ripped apart more and more as he watched them.

 

It was clear to Baekhyun, that he had moved on. He didn't smile, not did he frown, and he want sure why. He wanted to frown. He wanted to be angry, but he wasn't. As if something was holding him back. And then he finally realized why.

"He's so happy... with her," Baekhyun said in a hush tone to himself. "I've never seen him like this in forever." Baekhyun bit his lip roughly trying to hold back his wails and screams. Oh how he wanted to cry into his Chanyeol's arms, but he finally got the memo.

 

Chanyeol isn't his anymore.

 

Baekhyun hugs himself as he watches the new couple get off the train together. The tears just wouldn't stop leaving his eyes. The sadness in Baekhyun's body overflowed. Over the past months he's felt so depressed about everything. He was homesick, and he was lonely. And most of all he missed Chanyeol's face, his voice, his body, his warmth, and his love that he'd send Baekhyun everyday no matter what.

 

The train stopped, and he watched both of them stand up. Baekhyun gawked. He didn't realize that the last past 10 minutes would be the last time he'll ever see him again. No, it can't be over now. He can't let Chanyeol leave him again. He has to get off with him. Baekhyun takes a step, but after a moment passes, he takes it back.

If he gets off with Chanyeoll, he'll leave his whole future go to waste. And there's no need for Baekhyun to stay by Chanyeol's side no longer anymore. Chanyeol had found another love, and even though Baekhyun has the slight hope of being his one and only lover again, he can't. It just wouldn't be the same anymore. Time has passed and things have changed, he told himself.

He watched them take a steps closer to the exit, but before he could, Baekhyun calls him out for one more time, and hopefully, he'll listen.

"CHANYEOL!" Baekhyun screams from the top of his lungs stopping Chanyeol from stepping out. He whips his head in Baekhyun's direction and his eyes widen. But everything happens so fast. Chanyeol is dragged outside by his girlfriend and the doors close and the train begins to move again. Baekhyun watches him through the window and meets Chanyeol's eyes once more before it's over.

Baekhyun watches Chanyeol's mouth tremble as his eyes quiver. And before you know it, he's gone.

He walks on with his new life. He finally leaves the past behind as he gets off the train, but that only leaves Baekhyun alone. On the train that doesn't come back for anyone. But like life, a train is a one ride ticket home.

As he stands there alone, he wonders if the markings Chanyeol sees on foreheads truly mean death. Baekhyun still believes, and nothing nor no one will ever make him believe Chanyeol wasn't his soul mate. Since Baekhyun's marking is here, he wonders if he'll spend the rest of his life here and grow and end up here when he takes his last breathe. Baekhyun is convinced everyone in life is only needed to die in the end. Love, Chanyeol had shown him what true love is. No one will ever show him greater love than Chanyeol, ever. 

 

Maybe some day Chanyeol will see that. Maybe he'll see the necessity everyone has to do in life. Maybe some day Chanyeol will too also see that. 

 

And so, Baekhyun grips onto the pole, and waits for his stop next.